Savegame Compatibility to 1.1 (64)

This is just a guess, but I think they'll probably be ok, but might be a little weird. All the changes they've mentioned don't sound gamebreaking, but small bugs in KSP tend to have hugely disastrous results so I could be wrong. The reason it might be weird is because of the new antenna range additions. If you've got vessels outside of Kerbin's SOI there's a chance you won't be able to control them anymore. I have no idea if the old wheels will be compatible with the new ones, so any vessels with wheels on them might break.

We unfortunately won't know until it releases. Or at least not until Experimentals and the NDA is lifted (which is usually a few days before release).

If the concern is "will converting to 64-bit break my save," then I would say at face value, no. 64-bit itself isn't cause for breaking a save.

The bigger concern is if Unity 5 has any of the strange instability in 64-bit that Unity 4 has. That's a whole different problem thogh. If 64-bit is stable, then I don't expect 64-bit KSP v1.1 to break saves any more than 32-bit KSP v1.1.

And as sal said, Squad tries not to cause things that break saves when it can be helped. Then when it's expected, they "usually" give a heads up (such as breaking .craft files when Space Plane Plus was integrated.)

Cheers,

-Claw

Claw is right, the 64-bit addressing space isn't represented in the save file in any way, so that won't be the cause of problems. If I had to guess, I'd say that wheels would be the most likely cause of save-game incompatibility since they're getting reimplemented.

That said, Maxmaps said that while they're not certain, save compatibility is looking good for 1.1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.