The Highly Educated KSP Player - legends in our own minds? (Updated OP 16 January 2018)

adsii1970

Could ye put me under the young @ aspiring dreams? I intend to get a pilots license, then go into aerospace engineering (flight dynamics controller probably, ya know, FIDO?) or astronomy.

good thing is, I`m almost old enough to get a private pilot`s licence   

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

• 3 weeks later...

Update to the OP - 20170804

This afternoon I was able to spend some time updating the OP of this thread. I've tagged everyone who has been added or updated:

Existing forum members:

@cubinator: Added "Aspires to become an astronaut, aerospace engineer, musical engineer, musician, and entomologist." 

New listed forum members:

@PanzerAce: Added to the those who have graduated a trade school, college, or university category.

@Starman4308: Added to the those who have graduated a trade school, college, or university category. If possible, please provide the name of the university you attended.

@IncongruousGoat:  Added to the those in pursuit of a degree category.

@Johnny Wishbone: Added to the those who have graduated a trade school, college, or university category. And to answer your question, let me know when you find out. It's hard to believe where the last twenty years went for me, too!

@SupperRobin6394: Added to the those in pursuit of a degree category.

@Sayeret_1711: Added to the aspiring young dreamers category.

@S4qFBxkFFg: Added to the those who have graduated a trade school, college, or university category. Note: a real pilot!

@RoadRunnerAerospace: Added to the aspiring young dreamers category.

I'm sorry it took me so long to update the OP with all of your information, folks!

• 1 month later...

Update to the OP - September 19, 2017

3 hours ago, jhousen said:

put me under "has a degree"

Need more information. Name of college, year graduated, and your major field of study... thanks!

On 9/11/2017 at 11:20 PM, Shikashi said:

Today is my second day at higher education school in Perg.
It is heavily IT based, they even learn you basic hacking skills lol.
If you know german, look up "HTL Perg".

Dies geschieht. Die Auflistung sagt nicht mehr "Australia" aber Österreich... Bitte!

6 hours ago, Shikashi said:

Wait, you speak german? Holy jfc I didn't expect that.

I've forgotten a lot. I lived in Frankfurt, Hanau, and Gilda as a youth (1983 to 1988). And as an adult, I lived in Bad Kreuznach, Germany for almost 2 years...

I wasn't added yet? Aww.. And I even provided more details...

To reiterate - Current high school student, looking at going to a degree likely in chemistry, haven't decided completely. Would like to become a certified pilot at some point in life.

Also, I'm also curious what some of the people here do as a day job....

Update to the OP - September 21, 2017

9 hours ago, qzgy said:

I wasn't added yet? Aww.. And I even provided more details...

To reiterate - Current high school student, looking at going to a degree likely in chemistry, haven't decided completely. Would like to become a certified pilot at some point in life.

I'm sorry, and am not sure how that happened. Anyhow, you've been added to the "Those planning to enter a trade school, college or university" category of the OP.

9 hours ago, qzgy said:

Also, I'm also curious what some of the people here do as a day job....

I teach university/community college level history courses and am a professional historian.

Ok...

Degree on physics ( 2005)

I studied Theoretical Physics and I was looking to specialized on Astrophysics... I went, to advanced school on theroretical physics on Jerusalem and I meet a very "nice people" that change my mind and decided: "I wanted to have proofs of what I was talking about" . So...

MSc. on materials (2007)

PhD. on materials (February 2013)[materials applied to the industry] I'm specialized on cellular structural materials... Do you need a very strong material with low weight? Biopolymers

And now I teach in a university... Solid State Physics... Thanks to that my students don't have problems with Kerbals.

I am working in two projects:

· A new lightweight material for aerospace industry. I'm finishing it shape now, but I need a very specialized laboratory to make the characterization, so I am looking for it.

· If the other projects works in less than 5 years I will have papers and PhD. on Astrophysics... 

I'll let you figure out where to put this (and edit down as necessary).

Built and flew model rockets from the age of eight until I stopped (for financial and space (as in, not enough) reasons) ten years ago at the age of forty-three.

No degree.  One year at The Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus, Ohio (Robert McCall and Ron Miller went there)*.  Realized I wasn't cut out to be taught (in a formal environment), and that I didn't want to do art as a career.

Joined the Air Force for the next seven years as a weapons loader on F-111Ds and F-111Fs.  Picked up some basic electronics and mechanical engineering through that, but nothing that would apply as credits in higher education later on.

After that, worked in a factory making TV picture tubes (the old kind, before LCD screens - one of the last factories making them).

Learned welding and other metalwork at a sign company (again, not enough to apply to licensing).

Followed by stints as a security guard and Netflix employee.

I now make jewelry for a studio/store in SC.  Oddly enough, my experience with building model, and later, high-power rockets (including scratch-built scale models of the Little Joe II and the Delta II - the former having a working LES, the latter with nine working - with motors - strap-on boosters that separated mid-flight, first six came off, then the other three), as well as the welding and metal work from my sign job, and soldering from my electronics training in the AF, helped me out learning to make jewelry.  I work mainly in sterling silver, but also make stuff from yellow, rose, and white gold (the latter a PITA to work with).

In summary, I'm mostly self-taught as far as science, engineering, and aerospace goes (most of that picked up from my rocketry days).  I can follow most conversations well enough, but frankly, I suck at math more complex than adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing.

*For those who may not recognize the names, McCall painted the huge Apollo Landing mural at the Smithsonian, as well as other aviation, aerospace, and science fiction art, and Miller was/is a somewhat well-known science fiction and realspace artist - at least, back in the late '70s - '80s.

Edit:  Oh, yeah... as a hobby, I do 3D modeling work (self-taught Blender) for a group of people who work with David Weber (author of the Honor Harrington space opera book series) to flesh out the Honorverse in imagery and background on the politics, militaries, and other stuff in the Honorverse.  One of my models is my avatar, the HMS Fearless, a Star Knight-class heavy cruiser.  Can't UV or texture to save my life, but my modeling skills aren't bad.

Edited by MaxxQ

• 1 month later...

MA (Hons) in English Literature at the University of Aberdeen, licensed pilot, late of the Royal Corps of Signals, Royal Navy and Her Majesty's Coastguard (consecutively, not concurrently), so while my degree wasn't in a science my career path has been largely technical and revolving around the arcane magic of radio and satellite stuff. Which is weird, given that I really wanted to be an archaeologist. 

1 hour ago, razark said:

If I could go back and start over, I think that would be a good path to try.

If I could go back and start over I would probably do something besides IT. When I applied to colleges in high school I always applied with electrical engineering as my degree choice. I could have run with that, graduated from college in 1990-92, moved to Silicon Valley and gotten a job designing chips for any of the big manufacturers. If I'd dumped all my money into stock options I probably could have retired in my late 30s. Would've-could've-should've.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:59 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Currently I'm striving to get into MIT. 

MIT was actually the only college I applied to in high school that I didn't get into. Made it to the interviews. I was accepted to Cal Tech, Rose-Hulman, Embry-Riddle, and Cal-State Northridge. But none of the scholarships I applied for panned out, so I had no money to go with. So, I joined the Navy. And the rest is history.

I want to be a Science Fiction writer, and maybe an aerospace engineer (if possible). Technically, i am already a Sci-Fi writer 

My ultimate goal is to either start my own space program or go to space as a tourist.

On 8/26/2015 at 8:56 PM, NeatCrown said:

Every male teen my age practically speaks an obscenity every five words. [Edited]

You too, huh?

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

wanting to go to college for Computer Science

Edited by Vanamonde

• 2 weeks later...