The Highly Educated KSP Player - legends in our own minds? (Updated OP 16 January 2018)

adsii1970

4 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

I love writing though, so getting published (possibly maybe hopefully) is something I think about too.

You can always start a blog, you know. It's not the same as a real publisher, but not only it gets your word across some people (which is better than none, I'd argue), but, more importantly, it gets your creative juices flowing on a regular basis :) 

Update to the OP - January 16, 2018

It has taken me nearly an hour and a half to update the OP, but I think I've gotten everyone since the last update in September 2017. Before I get to the updates, I want to share a major change - each category has its members listed in alphabetical order. This not only makes it easier for you to find yourself, but makes it easier for me to find you when you submit updates which may impact where you're on the OP. I have tagged everyone who has been affected in this update.

Updates to existing members:

@NSEP: Information has been updated. Added your aspirations.

@Rath: Moved to the category, those are currently enrolled and attending a trade school, college or university.

@RoadRunnerAerospace: Moved to the category, those planning to enter a trade school, college or university.

@Shikashi: Moved to the category, those are currently enrolled and attending a trade school, college or university.

Welcome our newest members to the OP:

@CornHuskerKenny: Added to the category, those are currently enrolled and attending a trade school, college or university.

@Earthlinger: Added to the category, those planning to enter a trade school, college or university

@Inverurie Jones: You've been added to the category, those who have graduated a trade school, college or university. I do have a couple of more things I'd like to get from you:

• Graduation year for your MA
  • Did you also have an undergraduate (BA) degree?

@JK_Kerbineer: You've been added to the category, young and aspiring dreamers.

@MaxxQ: You're in the category, the self-taught or on-the-job sage.

@ProtoJeb21: You've been added to the category, young and aspiring dreamers.

And those I need a little more information on before I can post them:

@Mayer: I can list you under the life happened category, but need more information. Place you tried college, major, etc.

Just as a reminder, there are several purposes to this thread. The first and foremost reason is for our young Kerbal Space Program community members to see that the community is full of people from divers backgrounds, education levels, and experiences. Not everyone who plays KSP or is a member of the forum are rocket scientists or aerospace engineers. Oh, and it also has another purpose, to give the younger folks a view into what kinds of career paths that other KSP do.

The life happened category and the self-taught or on-the-job sage category are extremely important and nothing to scoff at or ridicule others on. It is a thread to let others know that life goes on after our best-made plans fail. Sometimes it is those two paths which allows us to truly learn what we are capable of doing and overcoming. 

• 3 months later...

So, in our faculty meeting yesterday, my department chair asked me to consider taking 12 graduate hours of political science classes. The idea behind it? So I can teach political science AND history. Not sure what to do about it...

On 9/20/2017 at 7:06 PM, adsii1970 said:

I've forgotten a lot. I lived in Frankfurt, Hanau, and Gilda as a youth (1983 to 1988). And as an adult, I lived in Bad Kreuznach, Germany for almost 2 years...

Trilingual, already learning my fourth language, German! Any tips? :D

Unfamiliar about the educational systems in your respective countries but currently in eighth grade/high school. Unsure about what to take but leaning on engineering possibly aerospace. Also, I hope to go to space in the future, possibly even an astronaut

43 minutes ago, Atlas2342 said:

GASP

I only know Spanish and English, though in my defense I can read a fair amount of French and can understand it if the person speaking it talks slowly and simply

Kinda

Have you heard of Duolingo? I've heard it's good but I have yet to try it

8 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

GASP

I only know Spanish and English, though in my defense I can read a fair amount of French and can understand it if the person speaking it talks slowly and simply

Kinda

Have you heard of Duolingo? I've heard it's good but I have yet to try it

I know a bit of Spanish. In fact, our language (Tagalog) was influenced by it. We still use words like mesa and eskwela (from escuela). Also to be fair a few words occur in both languages so you could say they are very slightly similar.

Also yes, I do use Duolingo :wink:

https://imgur.com/a/IRvws

2 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Tagalog

Hello from your South !

Regarding this thread : I'm actually studying civil engineering, undergraduate. But currently a lot is going on and there's still a lot to go, hopefully I'll make it. Perhaps I shouldn't go about this forum too often XD

12 hours ago, qzgy said:

Well it only says consider...... so... its no obligation right?

Why would you need to teach both though?

I already teach a class on the history of the U.S. Constitution. The class normally caps at 25, but this semester, I allowed the university administration to raise the cap to 40. Even at 40, I still had 10 on a waiting list the first day of class.

The belief is that if I were to also teach a parallel political science class regarding Constitutional theory... it would get a higher enrollment. Right now, that class, because of the instructors teaching it, only has about 15 students; it takes 10 students for a class to make. And I have never had enrollment in a course under 20 since I've been teaching there. I average around 27 students.

And that's the short explanation why. Are they requiring it? No, but the increase in pay for being "cross disciplinary" would be a considerable pay raise. It would mean that instead of teaching at three different universities and community colleges, I could give one of the adjunct positions up. And that's always a good thing.

6 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Unfamiliar about the educational systems in your respective countries but currently in eighth grade/high school. Unsure about what to take but leaning on engineering possibly aerospace. Also, I hope to go to space in the future, possibly even an astronaut

Je parle français et me linguam Latinam. Ich spreche auch Deutsch

Yes, try to use each of them often as you can. I've lost some German and Latin simply because I don't use them all the time.

If you are in eighth grade right now, focus on math and sciences (STEM). Any idea where you are wanting to attend?

Huh. ANOTHER thread I've missed seeing over the years.

Currently in my 5th of 8 quarters for Aviation Maintenance Technology, aka airplane mechanic. Currently on the powerplant side of things, and up for my general and powerplant license testing after this quarter. After that, 3 quarters of airframe, the testing for that, and BAM, full A&P license.

4 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Huh. ANOTHER thread I've missed seeing over the years.

Currently in my 5th of 8 quarters for Aviation Maintenance Technology, aka airplane mechanic. Currently on the powerplant side of things, and up for my general and powerplant license testing after this quarter. After that, 3 quarters of airframe, the testing for that, and BAM, full A&P license.

It's still here and I do update it from time to time. :P

what is an A&P license? And want to share what school? I'll update the OP tomorrow evening.

16 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

what is an A&P license? And want to share what school? I'll update the OP tomorrow evening.

Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic's license, as authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration under 14 CFR, Part 65, Subpart D. Basically, it allows me to work on any aircraft registered in the US, within certain limits laid out in 14 CFR Part 43. (And yes, part of the education is knowing what those limits are and where to find them.)

As for the school, it's South Seattle College. Currently in class, actually; we're covering fire detection and suppression systems this week.

3 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

South Seattle College

Thanks! I kinda know where that's at. Back in the 1990s, I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington, and spent a lot of time in the Seattle-Tacoma (SeaTac) area.  Lots of neat stuff to do there. And thanks for the explanation.

2 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Ah, JBLM. Frequently see the Strykers, HEMTTs, MRAPs, and the occasional HiMARS from there commuting to the Yakima range along Highway 18. Been meaning to swing by there and visit the museum.

Nope, I was stationed there long before it became JBLM. It was simply Fort Lewis and the Air Force had it's own base, McChord Air Force Base. But that was in the early 1990s. :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic's license, as authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration under 14 CFR, Part 65, Subpart D. Basically, it allows me to work on any aircraft registered in the US, within certain limits laid out in 14 CFR Part 43. (And yes, part of the education is knowing what those limits are and where to find them.)

As for the school, it's South Seattle College. Currently in class, actually; we're covering fire detection and suppression systems this week.

Nice. I'm sort of on the other end of things, 25+ years as an engineer at the local airplane company. I live in Covington but I work up in Everett, and yes that's a sucky commute.

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Nice. I'm sort of on the other end of things, 25+ years as an engineer at the local airplane company. I live in Covington but I work up in Everett, and yes that's a sucky commute.

Yes, it is. A pox upon whomever decided to NOT expand 405. Hello neighbor, btw... I live just south of Covington. :lol:

Edited by MaverickSawyer

• 2 months later...

@adsii1970 You can put me down as having finished high school and enrolled at a university. I start classes the first week of September. I'm currently leaning towards an Aerospace Engineering major and an Entomology minor. I'll pursue a career that is related to spaceflight, especially one where I'm working directly with space hardware. Once I have the right experience I will attempt to become an astronaut.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

@adsii1970 You can put me down as having finished high school and enrolled at a university. I start classes the first week of September. I'm currently leaning towards an Aerospace Engineering major and an Entomology minor. I'll pursue a career that is related to spaceflight, especially one where I'm working directly with space hardware. Once I have the right experience I will attempt to become an astronaut.

Once I get grades posted, I will! Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting thread. I hardly ever look past the general, daily kerbal, and the mod sections so, the lounge is new to me. I am squarely in the self-taught category. I taught myself the basic programming language at age 9 (not so impressive because it was on a commodore 64), I built my first electrical circuit at age 10 (oscillator), and rebuilt a 4 barrel carburetor at age 12. Because of the condition known as 'poor', I never received any higher degree but, I do have a credit or two towards college because of an AP calculus class in high school. I currently am an ASE master certified auto technician (also Nissan master tech but that's far less impressive). I also build and modify specialty vehicles when the customers are there(hot rods, resto-mods, off road, and racing).

5 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

What an interesting thread. I hardly ever look past the general, daily kerbal, and the mod sections so, the lounge is new to me.

Welcome to the Lounge .-.

The forum games section can get a bit crazy though...