The Highly Educated KSP Player - legends in our own minds? (Updated OP 16 January 2018)

adsii1970

Am I the only Blue collar educated person here??

The Life-Got-Real certificates

-Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanics ticket

-Certificate, Gardner Denver Pump Repair course

The "When I was dreaming" part of life education

-Certificate, Recording Arts Musical Production (Columbia Academy, 1991)

-Certificate, Powersound Recording Studio

The new "Life-Got-Real" education

-Currently doing a online course on Home Inspections (career change)

Edited by GDJ

In my experience, lack of degrees is frequently a bonus. No terrible habits and preconceived notions to unlearn before actually becoming productive..

I have seen this too. Too many people can become disillusioned after graduating with a college degree, then have to work in a field outside of their degree. Normally, they have a hard time with the transition from student to working stiff... especially if they feel like the position they had to take is "beneath" someone with their academic achievements. You're quite right. A college degree can often be more of an employment handicap than a helpful tool.

Unfortunately, I've also seen people get passed over for positions they deserve just because, even if they obviously have the skills, they don't have the piece of paper.

It depends on if you are talking about small business versus a large corporation or government employer. I know of a few small employers here (with under 150 employees) that prefer to hire experience over education. For them, it is the practical knowledge that comes from experience that builds a stronger employee and a stronger, more productive company.

I graduated from high school*... Or maybe I'm under the "planning to enter college" category, assuming "college" is the same as "university".

Added. In the U.S., for some reason, we use "college" and "university" for the same thing. Having lived in Europe for nearly 10 years of my life, I can appreciate the difference. A change has been made to this page.

Not got a university (college) degree and have very poor A levels as well. Declining health made it difficult to study though I did do 2 years of a mechanical engineering course before having to drop out ill....

It sounds like life happened to you. You've been added to our list.

Some of you might be interested in reading through this, there's a lot of valuable resource in it...

http://www.back2college.com/accelerate.htm

Yes, indeed... a lot of great information in that site, if others will use it...

Am I the only Blue collar educated person here??

Nope, not in a long shot:

flymetothemun: Currently pursuing vocational training as a semi truck (tractor trailer for the rest of the world) driver/operator.

And you've been added too...

There are a few purposes of this thread; up until now I've never had to explain why I started it. Anyhow, here it goes:

• I have seen some users on the forum berate and belittle people that simply didn't understand some aspect of physics, astronomy, etc. that the "advanced and smart" users thought should be basic knowledge to play KSP. I wanted a forum to demonstrate to those feeling disillusioned that not everyone here is a rocket scientist or pilot, but that we come from a variety of backgrounds as a way to encourage others.

• It also was born out of my love of education and the concept of self-betterment. Not all learning comes from a text book and learning is a life-long process. Anyone that claims they learned all they have ever needed to learn is a moron and will never become anything greater than what they currently are. Whether it be a vocational class or training, a college course, learning a new hobby, developing a new skill, or a self-taught program of study, the desire to learn and become greater than we were yesterday is an important part of our personal development. For this very reason, when flymetothemoon first sent me a message, I knew it was only right to include blue collar workers in this list for the training they have accomplished. Without blue collar workers, there would be no academics...

• It also serves as inspiration for the younger crowd. If you will notice, in a few categories you will see the notation, life happened because life does happen. A "life happened" moment is one that forces us to evaluate what our plans are for the future versus what our current circumstances are. We are forced to make a decision that often there is never a "going back" moment. I feel this is extremely important; teaching at the college level for nearly 13 years, I have had students commit suicide because they had a "life happened" moment and they felt they had no choice, no way out, no escape. So, rather than taking the leap of faith and making a decision, they were crushed under the weight of the decision. This part of this thread serves to encourage them that regardless of the choice they make, LIFE DOES GO ON and you can still succeed without a degree. In fact, regex posted earlier in this thread that he is not only successful without an academic degree and has a family that he dearly cherishes - and life happened to him!

Edited by adsii1970

flymetothemun: Currently pursuing vocational training as a semi truck (tractor trailer for the rest of the world) driver/operator.

Mate, I'm not enrolled in anything! Although I MIGHT go to one of the technical schools for truck driving (and maybe welding, welding pays GREAT almost everywhere and you get to stick bits of metal together like a wizard); Tech schools are cheaper, you get hands-on training rather than just reading out of a book all the time, and you're out of the place in 18 months. It's a maybe right now.

And you've been added too...

• It also was born out of my love of education and the concept of self-betterment. Not all learning comes from a text book and learning is a life-long process. Anyone that claims they learned all they have ever needed to learn is a moron and will never become anything greater than what they currently are. Whether it be a vocational class or training, a college course, learning a new hobby, developing a new skill, or a self-taught program of study, the desire to learn and become greater than we were yesterday is an important part of our personal development. For this very reason, when flymetothemoon first sent me a message, I knew it was only right to include blue collar workers in this list for the training they have accomplished. Without blue collar workers, there would be no academics...

Good on ya! I'm from a blue-collar family and area and a lot of times we think that people who have gone to college really forget about us and stay in their "bubble". And then there are the ones who call us ignorant and stupid and all kinds of names that do barely anything except make themselves feel high and mighty.

Also, this is a really GREAT interview with Mike Rowe about how college is getting to be overrated or at least getting to be too high of a cost:benefit ratio:

Edited by Flymetothemun

Hmmm, might have to go back and read the old posts... I thought you were heading to technical schools for truck driving...

And I quote:

"I kid, I kid. I'm aiming for semi truck driving, but if that doesn't go too well I'm more interested in trades (Mainly welding & pipe/steamfitting) rather than degree-requiring jobs and most of the time you can learn trades by union apprenticeship. The rest of the times it's usually a technical school, and those are far cheaper than college, usually only last 1 1/2-2 yrs and you only learn the thing you signed up for, not all the accouterments like algebra and whatnot."

I said I'm AIMING, not enrolled. Although, that's more my dialect coming through. Aiming means you're REALLY interested around where I live.

Young and aspiring for me. Studying at a international (CDNIS)school in Hong Kong. Hating it in a culture that loves science and invented gunpowder and the first rockers, yet everyone says aerospace engineers make no money. I'm pretty sure that is just their coverall way to discourage kids from doing something they couldn't to maintain their own self-image, because a third of my science teachers don't know what aerospace means.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny how the magic price of paper that lets you succeed in life is called a BS.

Flymetothemoon: I moved you to the "would like to earn" category. Seems fitting...

Rath: Nope, you qualify for "in pursuit of" and have been added to that category...

Bev7787: Live the dream... you're added too...

--updated--

Bev7787: Serving in the armed forces of your home nation is not only an honorable profession, but is the making of a true patriot. There's no shame in that.

Edited by adsii1970

The Air Force isn't a bad deal. Don't know if you're talking about the USAF though or another country. If USAF, if you intend on attending their college (Air Force Academy) you'll need at least 700's on your SATs before they'll accept you... they'll consider less, but there's no guarantee. I would suggest you talk extensively with a recruiter first.

Alrighty, I'll bite! I am in my senior year of high school but plan on snagging a master's degree in something like physics, getting a teaching certification, and go teach high school physics. Because that's the fun science to teach.

KSP in class, anybody?

BA in Business Administration here, plus a number of classes on databases, etc. :) (I started on an MBA right after undergrad but discovered I was thoroughly sick of school by that point; ended up joining the Army instead. Never have picked the MBA back up; probably won't.)

And I quote:

"I kid, I kid. I'm aiming for semi truck driving, but if that doesn't go too well I'm more interested in trades (Mainly welding & pipe/steamfitting) rather than degree-requiring jobs and most of the time you can learn trades by union apprenticeship. The rest of the times it's usually a technical school, and those are far cheaper than college, usually only last 1 1/2-2 yrs and you only learn the thing you signed up for, not all the accouterments like algebra and whatnot."

I said I'm AIMING, not enrolled. Although, that's more my dialect coming through. Aiming means you're REALLY interested around where I live.

What part of the world are you from? I drove for 3 years (and would still be if it weren't for family matters) and could have some info when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny how the magic price of paper that lets you succeed in life is called a BS.

:sticktongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, been away for a bit. Between college mid-terms, picking up four classes in the spring (one course is one that I have not taught in nearly four years), and fall break, I have not had the chance to update the page the way I normally do. However, it's now updated, so here's a short list of what was done:

Maximus97:

You've been added to our roster. Congrats on making the decision to go into public education, and to teach science/physics...
:D
Do you have an idea of which college you might like to attend? I add that information to this list in case you inspire someone to follow in your footsteps.

Maxwell'sDemon:

Congrats on completing the B.A. in business management. Do you want to share the college and year of your graduation? As you can see from other bios, that's one of the things shared. As you can see from our listing, there are a lot of us who have had the
life happened
thing happen to us while pursuing a degree.

When I first began this thread, I had never considered the amount of interest it has generated. On a more personal level, it has helped me to see that there are more of us why have had something happen, to have life happen, and while our lives didn't necessarily go where we had hoped or planned, we did survive in spite of life. There are days where my college advising kinda gets depressing, especially when you see a young person struggling with the decision to leave college or to try and press on. What also amazes me is the number of college students that waste the opportunity they've been given, believing that college is some great rite of passage and something to be experienced rather than a transitory stage of life.

I guess 'Life happened' might be the category I would fit into. I went straight into the Royal Air Force after leaving school working in the ATC branch as an assistant controller/ops clerk. I did start an Open University degree course while serving, but I quickly became distracted with learning to fly - do I want to study calculus today or go flying? Hmmmm.

Let's just say that flying won.

I fly for a living now on the business aviation side of the industry. The lack of a degree hasn't held me up much so far but I have been extremely lucky and have had a lot of help along the way.

Didn't finish school. I sometimes get asked if I'm an engineer, based on things I've made in RL and KSP. I've been teaching myself constantly since leaving school, but lack deep theoretical knowledge, it's fragmented over an enormous amount of interests. I am pretty good at visualization, lateral thinking, and creating. I've built my own car, I can build a solid house without formal education. One of the reasons I invest time in KSP with creating and inventing is I hope some day I can get a job where they can use my brain and keep me inspired.

in the international school system you need to do a thing called a personal project. I'm trying to make a <99% reliable, TWR <5 rocket engine. The science teachers are now Giving me much better grades than I should on projects so long as a say "I was working on my rocket thruster."

At the moment, propulsion engineering is tickling my fancy.... My high school has a three year program to study whatever, get a mentor, and do whatever you were studying.... I'm thinking of dual cycle engines to get into orbit cheaper and faster.... (basically RL rapiers)

Late 50s, disabled and retired now. Started but did not complete college. Not so much "life happened", as "got to college and realized I was sick to death of classrooms." :)

Also was a private pilot with 500 hours when I had to give up flying due to disability.

Astronut:

You've been added to the life happened category. As long as you are doing what you love it is more like getting paid to play! To me, that is more important than any degree or college learning because not everyone needs a college degree to be successful, happy, and financially stable. :D

Azimech:

I also added you to the life happened category. Same as what I said to Astronut! :D

Boomerang:

Are you still in school? Did life happen to you as well? I've got you listed in the life happened category until I can get some information from you. Yes, a number of people have commented that the life happened category is their favorite part of this thread. If I were to guess, and if I were to base it on my opinion of it, I think it is my favorite too but because it shows you do not need a college degree to be happy, successful, and financially prosper. Within western Europe, there tends to be this great disconnect between academics and blue collar workers - which I do not truly understand. If it were not for the blue collar workers, the academics and scholars would have no one to teach, no way to have education as a vocation... just some food for thought. :confused:

Rath:

Can you tell me a little more about your school? Name, location? It helps to keep everything together, neat and tidy, that sort of thing! I am taking it you are a student at the Hong Kong International School? I've added you to the aspiring dreamers category. If you're planning to go to college, let me know where you're planning to go and I will move you to the other category. :wink:

_Augustus_:

I put you under the aspiring dreamers category. Believe me, I feel your pain; being a professional historian, I always hate touring state and national parks/monuments and knowing more than the tour guides. :huh:

CommanderSpock:

I put you under the aspiring dreamers category. When you know what college you want to head to, let me know...

Beowolf:

My friend, that still falls under the life happened category. There are many reasons people choose not to complete college. I bet if you were to ask some of those within that particular category, you might find some have the same reason for leaving college as you did! I'm sorry to hear about your disability - and the fact it keeps you from flying IRL.

I think I fit all the categories! 40 years young, with

- BSc Genetics, Queen's University Belfast (mid 90's)

- MSc Bioinformatics, University of Ulster (mid 00's)

- Currently in L3 of an Open University degree focused on astronomy and planetary science, also did oceanography and hoping to do data management and analysis (looking forward to getting stuck into Kepler data).

Planning to go for PhD in exoplanetary astrobiology or related field, and hopefully academia. Late, because life happened (health and luck), but still an aspiring dreamer.