peachoftree

Will you still use Linux  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still use Linux

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided (post why!)
    • Never used it in the first place

Linux is pretty great. 64 bit, minimal resources, free, free, secure, and it looks good. The list goes on. However, 1.1 will reintroduce 64 bit to windows, taking away many ksp users reasons to switch. So for the people who have already switched to Linux, do you plan on going back after 1.1? Personally, I installed linux to play KSP when it did not work at all on my 2011 macbook air, but after using it for a bit I became accustomed to it and started using it as my daily driver. I've never looked back.

I'm playing KSP on Linux since a while after I found out I could load a Linux VMware with tons of mods and KSP was still starting and running. But due to lack of full OpenGL support I decided to install a dual boot system with Xubuntu. And so far, besides from playing KSP, I really started loving the Linux environment. When doing the "normal" daily stuff like surfing, researching, emails, watching videos, etc I don't feel any negative difference. It is fast and lightweight and I don't miss any Windows features so far.

However, since I need Windows for work (self-employed) I can't switch fully yet. But I already thought about getting VMware for Linux and running Windows virtual machines. Thats what I do already anyway on Windows: Having several development VMs. So it shouldn't be that much of a deal. But on the other side I don't have any reason to stick with Linux either, except for KSP and the "coolnes factor". So you see, I'm still pretty undecided. :P

Also for KSP x64. I tried it on Windows before and it was a catastrophe. If it runs "rock solid", then I might give up on Linux. If not, I will stick with it.

I didn't switch to Linux just for KSP, it's been my primary desktop for most of the last 7 years. I have no idea how to use Windows (8+) anymore. Don't need it, don't want it, don't think it's worth the price.

I'll be sticking with Linux, thanks.

Probably no. All my software is for Windows and I want to make other things (render with PovRay or make some other long CPU intensive tasks, use browser, use my own help programs etc.) when I play KSP. I played my last game on Windows without graphical mods because it was so annoying to be unable to use Windows programs during gaming.

I imagine a lot of people will, seeing as windows 10 literally ships with spyware on it

You know you can turn off most of it right? But still if you are obnoxious about companies gathering info about you, you should probably throw away everything that you have that connects to the internet.

Anyway, I've been sticking to windows all these years and it wont change now due to compability with other games that I play.

-UniQ

I missed my option on the poll - "I have been using Linux long before KSP and KSP was not the point why I installed it". However, voted yes, as it will be so.

P.S.

I am using 32 bit Linux, and have no benefit of 64 bit currently out of it %)

Not sure yet. Linux has a few...operations?...that are a bit harder than they need to be. To many things that require command line, when it should be as simple as drag and drop. Still, the geek in me loves having a duel-boot machine.

I think I'll move KSP over to Windows just to have my flight stick work out of the box. Also, being able to use left alt.

Linux is light-years better than Windows in terms of computer science.

Windows is just a do-for-me-im-too-lazy-and-stupid styled operating system that pays the cost of it's convince with unknowingly submitting spyware data to microsoft and the NSA; every keystroke, mouseclick, website, email and facebook news feed, even when you disable the settings (the settings is just for show, the encrypted and compressed data is still transmitted)

some half-broken game that shouldn't have left beta so early, won't make me switch to windows.

Edited by Xyphos

Muchus Agreeus, although it's not the NSA or Micro$haft data-mining that bothers me, more the pervasive "users are dumb, hide all the things" attitude.

I'll use Windows if I have to, but it always feels like I'm renting time on someone else's machine... I like my systems to be under my control, and be free to make them do what I want them to.

The whole "Computing as a service" thing, and the "Sit back and let MS take care of everything" marketing drive just don't sit right with me.

I want to break it, I want to fix it. I want to learn how it actually works.

To quote Eric S. Raymond: "Trying to learn to hack on a Microsoft Windows machine or under any other closed-source system is like trying to learn to dance while wearing a body cast."

The excessive phoning-home in Win 10 is just the final straw.

And yeah, on that "half broken game" bit... don't get me started. Just don't.

Edited by steve_v

I will be sticking with Linux, mainly because I switched to Linux only about 5 years ago and I don't have a copy of Windows.

Anyone dual-booting Linux-Windows should just wait how stable the Windows 64bit version of KSP actually is.

You know you can turn off most of it right? But still if you are obnoxious about companies gathering info about you, you should probably throw away everything that you have that connects to the internet.

Anyway, I've been sticking to windows all these years and it wont change now due to compability with other games that I play.

-UniQ

Wow calm down, man

Just mentioning, most people prefer to keep datamining to a minimum given the choice

Not sure yet. Linux has a few...operations?...that are a bit harder than they need to be. To many things that require command line, when it should be as simple as drag and drop. Still, the geek in me loves having a duel-boot machine.

I think I'll move KSP over to Windows just to have my flight stick work out of the box. Also, being able to use left alt.

Distros like Ubuntu and Mint don't require any form of command line operations, everything can be setup through the GUI.

You can easily stop the GUI from using left alt and make it usable in KSP.

Wow calm down, man

Just mentioning, most people prefer to keep datamining to a minimum given the choice

I'm Chill as a breeze :P Just pointing out that in today's society you are pretty much being tracked and stored information about all the time. And the internet is exceptionally usefull for doing that.

I'm all for anonymity on the internet and i whish big corporations wouldnt stick their nose down into regular people's private life but I guess that's just how it has turned out.

-UniQ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.