Will you still use Linux  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still use Linux

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided (post why!)
    • Never used it in the first place

3 hours ago, ThomasOnLinux said:

By the way: modders should also consider the fact, that there are a quick growing group of Linux users, using their mods.

For 99.9% of mods, platform is completely irrelevant - mod code is managed code and doesn't even need to know what OS it's running on. :)

1 minute ago, hildegain said:

Seriously though, conspiracies are fun but they serve no purpose.

Speaking only for myself, it's not about conspiracies, it's about choice.
If a piece of FOSS software does something I'd rather it didn't, I can fix that fairly easily, as I am given the source and the requisite tools. Not so on Windows.

I started using Linux & BSD for kicks, because I could mess with it in ways MS (or Apple for that matter) won't let me, Strange as it may sound, I consider things like rebuilding the entire OS from source to be both entertaining and educational. Playing whack-a-mole with GWX OTOH, is truly infuriating.
Over the years I have simply come to love the Unix Way, and the freedom open-source offers.
If KSP on Linux disappears someday, I'll probably just stop playing it.

Not for gaming, no. But it's useful for when I'm in a hurry and need to look something up because I have it installed on an SSD and it only takes a few seconds to start up.

If/when most games have Vulkan support and actually run properly, I'll most likely start using Linux as my primary OS.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I stuck to Linux for several years now and am enjoying the warm, cuddly feeling of suddenly not knowing where to look when trying to help people with their W8/W10 installations.

Now I can finally and honestly tell them to try and find someone else!

2 hours ago, Hary R said:

No as no one will defend Windows. And most people that have posted here are Linux user.

Well this thread should be about the practicality of Linux as a Ksp platform and not how to trash Windows which it now is.

I used Linux for the sake of 64 bit, and will compare the performance of OpenGL vs. DirectX before deciding if I switch back to windows. If there is no notable difference than it's Linux, because I'm too lazy to reboot. Oh, also I have to check if the CKAN client works on Arch now.

18 minutes ago, nanobot said:

will compare the performance of OpenGL vs. DirectX

I'd be interested in the results, I'm pretty sure there's something bung about Unitys OpenGL implementation in general.
Hopefully this is fixed in 1.1/U5, as it's not just Linux that doesn't have (or want) DirectX - fixing this would help Mac users too.

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'd be interested in the results, I'm pretty sure there's something bung about Unitys OpenGL implementation in general.
Hopefully this is fixed in 1.1/U5, as it's not just Linux that doesn't have (or want) DirectX - fixing this would help Mac users too.

I used to run a windows version of KSP back in .24 in full stock Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. On the same machine with the same system with the same craft, I was getting about 55 fps using wine's version of DirectX, and about the same with OpenGL. With OpenGL however, there was less stuttering induced by large craft. I don't have the exact benchmarks, but I'd say that OpenGL worked better on my machine, albeit not as well as it should. I was getting 10-15 FPS edge in XCOM: Enemy Unknown... 

I might go back to Windows, I get a better framerate on it. I do prefer Ubuntu, though. It's just the framerates.

Actually, Skyrim was running better on my machine under Wine than it was running when native. Space engineers was the opposite, though. It might finally come down to what games you play and which libraries are you using in wine. I personally think that I was better off with ubuntu. 

Edited by InterCity

I answered yes, but not for any mod reasons. I've played with Linux on and off on PC's for quite a while. Kinda stopped using it though recently. 2 OS'es when everything runs fine on windows seems a bit redundant. I kinda forgot KSP mods run quite well on Linux. :D

Ah, linux. I'll probably use that next. Currently on windows 7, which has served me really well actually. But with its 'upgrades' being the ugly beast that is windows 8 or the platform on which privacy is a thing of the past (windows 10), I don't see myself sticking with microsoft for much longer. And since the apple computers are extremely expensive (for no good reason other than 'apple'), have less freedom and aren't that suited to gaming, I won't be using those either.

I think I'll quite like ubuntu though, even if it gives me issues. And it'd better give me issues, I want to spend some nights wrestling with computers again. I didn't even know it was free until quite recently, but once I realised that it was, I was completely sold on it. And come on, who wouldn't want a penguin as the logo for their OS :P

Linux is my main OS. It has been for several years now.

I have a dual boot to Windoze for when I have to work with software from the '90 (durrr there is only windows durrr crossplatform is hard durrr we only support internet explore durrrr).
But I hate having to reboot to play a game; hell half the reason I bought this game is because they had a Linux version.

For the record, my job is to develop embedded software for satellites. So you can imagine that I feel in love with that game very quickly ;)

14 hours ago, Hary R said:
14 hours ago, 322997am said:

This is now a discussion about Linux vs Windows. This will turn into fire and it must get locked.

No as no one will defend Windows. And most people that have posted here are Linux user.

Also, its been (surprisingly ;) ) very civil discussion so far... :)

8 hours ago, wibou7 said:

I have a dual boot to Windoze for when I have to work with software from the '90 (durrr there is only windows durrr crossplatform is hard durrr we only support internet explore durrrr).

I work in industrial automation, so I run into this kind of thing fairly regularly too... It's actually kinda scary how much critical vendor code is written in visual basic, activeX etc. and tied to IE or other horrors. I still have indispensable software that only runs on XP, or worse DOS, but so far VMs have served me well.

On 1.4.2016 at 6:15 PM, nanobot said:

Oh, also I have to check if the CKAN client works on Arch now.

Well if you mean ArchLinux, CKAN is running good on my machine using the current mono package. Although i really would prefer some real platform-independent mod-manager. Maybe something in Java.

Ahhrhg, so little time...

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:37 AM, ThomasOnLinux said:

By the way: modders should also consider the fact, that there are a quick growing group of Linux users, using their mods.

By the way, modders can do whatever they want, and nobody has any rights to tell them what to do and what not to do.

On 01/04/2016 at 10:37 AM, ThomasOnLinux said:

Most mods that use DLLs are written using managed code, under the Mono platform, which runs on Linux. And Windows. And OS X. Just like KSP, which is written using managed code, under the Mono platform, which runs on Linux. And Windows. And OS X.

45 minutes ago, asmi said:

By the way, modders can do whatever they want, and nobody has any rights to tell them what to do and what not to do.

Everybody has the right to make suggestions. Enough people make suggestions to Squad every day right here on these forums.

Whether the modders pay any attention to these suggestions, is up to them.

Yeah, the only mod I've found that even required a different version for different OSes was Advanced Fly By Wire, and that's because that mod needs to handle controllers in an OS-dependent way. I've never seen a mod that was Windows-only.

Been using Linux since long before Squad was founded. But no, I've never spent much time running KSP on it. Every time I've run into a memory problem, I've found a new way around it on Windows. My Windows laptop's a lot more powerful than any of my Linux boxes so, when I've tried KSP on Linux, I'm taking a big performance hit.

On 4/1/2016 at 2:58 AM, Stone Blue said:

Withthe big stink when Win8 hit, there are MANY holdouts that run 7... When 7 dies, those people (obviously) arent going to want to go with 8/8.1... Muchless, if they didnt like 8/8.1, they SURE as heck arent going to like 10 AT ALL... 

I disagree.  Win10 is much more similar to Win7 than it is to Win8 in a lot of ways.  After seeing Win8 people could well see Win10 and think "that's not so bad".  

I have a Win10 install on my laptop and it's fine.  I still prefer my Mint install but 10 is not obnoxious.

On 27.8.2015 at 6:29 AM, legoclone09 said:

I only have Ubuntu for Kerbal, my parents will force me to remove it after 1.1 rolls around. I'll still have it and use it, but they won't know. Unless they boot it up and see GRUB.

This post is old - this thread is old - but ... why ... how ... huh??

On 4/1/2016 at 11:20 PM, wibou7 said:

For the record, my job is to develop embedded software for satellites. So you can imagine that I feel in love with that game very quickly ;)

So have you written a mod to hook up your testing rig to KSP?  Watch your control software working? :D

19 minutes ago, StarStryder said:

I disagree.  Win10 is much more similar to Win7 than it is to Win8 in a lot of ways.  After seeing Win8 people could well see Win10 and think "that's not so bad".  

I have a Win10 install on my laptop and it's fine.  I still prefer my Mint install but 10 is not obnoxious.

Oh someone is defending windows, let's all keep our calm.:D

Well indeed, win 10 is not bad at all, it's a pretty easy to use OS and it's good enough for people who don't really care.

Edited by Hary R

3 minutes ago, Hary R said:

Oh someone is defending windows, let's all keep our calm.:D

Well indeed, win 10 is not bad at all, it's a pretty easy to use OS and it's good enough for people who don't really care.

Indeed.  It made my laugh when, a little further up the thread, someone said that a compiler was a part of minimal OS installation.  Really?  How many normal users even know what a compiler does.  You see this a lot in the Linux world.  There's a set of presumptions about computer users' ability levels which are skewed massively to the technical because the people that currently use Linux tend to be competent users.  No high street shops sell Linux PCs and most users wouldn't even know that there's an alternative to Windows let alone how to install it or know how to work a compiler.

14 minutes ago, StarStryder said:

Indeed.  It made my laugh when, a little further up the thread, someone said that a compiler was a part of minimal OS installation.  Really?  How many normal users even know what a compiler does.  You see this a lot in the Linux world.  There's a set of presumptions about computer users' ability levels which are skewed massively to the technical because the people that currently use Linux tend to be competent users.  No high street shops sell Linux PCs and most users wouldn't even know that there's an alternative to Windows let alone how to install it or know how to work a compiler.

This is what me and my brother were talking about the other day, the average PC user are part of the people who don't care or don't know or both and will use windows. Why? Because everyone use it and it was made to be attractive to the average users. 

Most linux user are more capable users when it come to get your way around computers, and linux offer them the freedom they need.

If you ask me, i'm part of those who don't care.

Edited by Hary R

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.