Will you still use Linux  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still use Linux

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided (post why!)
    • Never used it in the first place

2 hours ago, StarStryder said:

Indeed.  It made my laugh when, a little further up the thread, someone said that a compiler was a part of minimal OS installation.  Really?  How many normal users even know what a compiler does.  You see this a lot in the Linux world.  There's a set of presumptions about computer users' ability levels which are skewed massively to the technical because the people that currently use Linux tend to be competent users.  No high street shops sell Linux PCs and most users wouldn't even know that there's an alternative to Windows let alone how to install it or know how to work a compiler.

True, though this is slowly changing, much to the consternation of some 'nix fanatics.
The "Buntard hordes" (no, I cannot take credit for this turn of phrase) are coming... And I suspect KSP/The Win64 Problem may have brought one or two into the fold.

To me, an OS without a compiler is like a car full of non-removable, non serviceable parts. I wouldn't buy one, however well it "just works". Perhaps that makes me crazy. :P

It's a bit like the old saying: Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. Give a man a fish... Oh [ridiculous profanity filter], you get my drift.

My first PC wasn't good for anything much but tinkering with. No games, no 'net, no colour, minimal disk space etc. meant that playing with the code (and the hardware) was about all there was. So that's what I did.

Now these machines are in everything (internet connected toasters, coming soon), and everyone expects to press the shiny button and the thing works... with nary a thought for the how.

Modern GNU/Linux has those shiny, easy buttons too (and will probably run on toasters). But there's no reason you can't have both the easy and the interesting.

The nuts, bolts and spanners don't need to be right in your face, but they should, IMO, still be close at hand.
Automation fails. Software has bugs. When the easy falls over, what do you do if you have no tools?

2 hours ago, Hary R said:

Most linux user are more capable users when it come to get your way around computers, and linux offer them the freedom they need.

If you ask me, i'm part of those who don't care.

I think I can say, with some measure of confidence, that I am in the former group. But whatever floats your boat. :)

---

2 hours ago, Hary R said:

Well indeed, win 10 is not bad at all, it's a pretty easy to use OS and it's good enough for people who don't really care.

Windows 10 isn't bad, at least not from a technical perspective (that UI though... shudder). It just doesn't fit my expectations of what an OS should do, because I know what it could do, were it not catered so precisely to the "don't know, don't care" crowd.

If you want to see bad, try using Windows ME for a while. I'm pretty sure everybody hated that one. ;)

Edited by steve_v
What's wrong with that inoffensive little word?

18 minutes ago, steve_v said:

If you want to see bad, try using Windows ME for a while. I'm pretty sure everybody hated that one. ;)

Don't bring me back bad memory please, i'm trying to pretend i've never knew ME (the blue screen still haunts me).... In fact I try to pretend that I get from 95 (first use of a mouse in an OS for me before it was all DOS) to XP directly.

Edited by Hary R
one letter missing and the whole world means nothing

5 minutes ago, Hary R said:

Don't bring me back bad memory please, i'm trying to pretend i've never knew ME (the blue screen still haunts me).... I fact I try to pretend that I get from 95 (first use of a mouse in an OS for me before it was all DOS) to XP directly.

Windows '95B (pre IE integration) FTW. What made '95C - ME so crash-happy was Microsoft's endless attempts to monopolise the web browser market by building IE into the shell... even if when it crashed, it took the whole OS with it.

Edited by steve_v

Personaly I tired 64bti version of kerbal on Linux and it run KSP fantastic.  ( 1.0.5 version )

But regarding if I continue to use linux...
Well truth is I really hope linux one day become a very big success since it have many good things to offer, and yes If i used linux everyday for many other things and games on linux instead of windows, then yes i would dump windows
 and only use linux.

However I find linux to be poorly designed and a nightmare to use for new people especially if you have to do things that require you to use the command text/root box...  The commands we need to enter is difficult and non inituative.
basicly I want a linux version that is inutuitive and work out of the box, with one click installers and a file structure that are easy to use.
And I do not want to have to go into a command text box to uninstall example an invidia driver ... we are in 2016 not 1992.

For example I mostly play games on my pc, and before I can play most of my games without having to tweat allot of stuff to make them work on linux then I do not stop using windows. Second im so tired of the way the "app" center and
installation of things work.  Also the file structure of the operative system is not intuitive and annoying to use.
Allot of hardware do not work out of the box due to missing drivers or problems and example video drivers are as far as I know never uptodate compared to the windows version.

Well in general everytime I deside to try linux I get so dissapointed and return to windows. I wish the linux dev in general would get som professional help and make a serious redesign of their "baby" els linux will continue to be for neards and not for the average person.

I learned how to Linux just for KSP. I would never have done so otherwise. I even spent the best part of a day partitioning my drive, and managed to finally do so mostly through luck rather than judgment.

But I have learned to love Linux. I find Kubuntu super intuitive, and easy to use. Unless I ever hear of a good reason to go back to playing KSP on Windows (e.g. some sort of better performance, which seems unlikely, but you never know), then I'm sticking with Linux.

1 hour ago, Peder said:

Personaly I tired 64bti version of kerbal on Linux and it run KSP fantastic.  ( 1.0.5 version )

Thanks! That made my day. Funniest thing I've heard this month.

If it wasn't for the fact that KSP worked in Linux I would never even have started playing KSP. I'm of the opinion that if software doesn't run in Linux then it's not worth bothering with.

Edited by boostme

On 27.8.2015 at 3:12 PM, UniQueKakarot said:

I'm Chill as a breeze :P Just pointing out that in today's society you are pretty much being tracked and stored information about all the time. And the internet is exceptionally usefull for doing that.

I'm all for anonymity on the internet and i whish big corporations wouldnt stick their nose down into regular people's private life but I guess that's just how it has turned out.

-UniQ

Talking of data collection, I have heard a rumour that each and every one of Intel's processors that has been manufactured in the nearest ten years has a built-in 3G-chip and antenna in it, and it sends a copy of every encryption key handled by processor to NSA, and gives a backdoor access to any PC even when turned off. So it's not just Microsoft...

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

To me, an OS without a compiler is like a car full of non-removable, non serviceable parts. I wouldn't buy one, however well it "just works". Perhaps that makes me crazy. :P

It's not so much non-removeable or non-serviceable parts as parts that must be serviced by a main dealer.  Sure it's more expensive then doing the maintenance yourself but there are plenty of people who wouldn't have a clue how to do it and just pay someone else to do it.  Hell, I know one person who calls out their breakdown service to fit their spare wheel when they get a puncture!

I think that's a better analogy for the difference between downloading source packages and compiling your own updates and simply downloading the binaries.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

The nuts, bolts and spanners don't need to be right in your face, but they should, IMO, still be close at hand.
Automation fails. Software has bugs. When the easy falls over, what do you do if you have no tools?

What happens when you have all the tools but no knowledge or skill in using them? You break things.  This is true of both cars and computers.

As a programmer, I enjoy having the tools to hand but I completely understand why most people simply don't care.  They couldn't use the tools even if they had them so on that score, Windows and Linux are no different.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I switched to Linux before I started playing KSP so, yes, I will continue with Linux after 1.1 is released.

6 hours ago, StarStryder said:

So have you written a mod to hook up your testing rig to KSP?  Watch your control software working? :D

...my god. You are right, why haven't I?

I think I'm going to be "sick" for the next few days :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.