[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

On 8/27/2015 at 10:03 AM, taniwha said:

Well, mod interoperability might improve now that Kethane is being properly maintained again. Kethane wasn't being properly maintained since around the time Karbonite was becoming popular and thus was at a disadvantage.

Kethane is it used for one specific engine or can it be refined into normal fuel and monoprop? Or does it only work along the isru

Edited by The-Doctor

Right now, Kethane cannot be mined from asteroids (I have plans to enable it, though). Kethane is then refined into LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, MonoProp and Xenon (depending on the converter), and there is a kethane powered engine.

Is there any way to either (a) allow mapping to progress when the vessel is not the focus or (b) allow the body it automatically be completely mapped after some time in an appropriate orbit? I believe it should not be terribly hard to figure out how much near the poles would be missed given the inclination and then everything else could be filled in after some time?

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know that Kethane is still around.

Back in the day I used Kethane and paired it up with the Kerbal Interstellar Mod by adding the FTL fuel to the Kethane Converter.

Guess Majir never got around to discussing it with the KSPI devs about adding that support officially.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:13 PM, schlosrat said:

Is there any way to either (a) allow mapping to progress when the vessel is not the focus or (b) allow the body it automatically be completely mapped after some time in an appropriate orbit? I believe it should not be terribly hard to figure out how much near the poles would be missed given the inclination and then everything else could be filled in after some time?

Soooo.... It's incredibly kludgey and probably not the right way to do it, but I have found a work around for the problem I posted above. I took the time to really thoroughly map Moho and then looked in the persistent.sfs to see how it was different from other bodies. I found this, that many of you may already know about, which leads me to believe there is hope that mapping could be "caught up" if you've switched to other vessels and done other things during the time mapping would have been accomplished.

The "spoiler" below shows part of the SCENARIO data for KethaneData from a save file with two notable examples - A body completely NOT mapped (the Sun), and one completely mapped (Kerbin):

Spoiler

SCENARIO
    {
        name = KethaneData
        scene = 7, 8
        Version = 0.9.10
        Resource
        {
            Resource = Kethane
            Generator
            {
                name = LegacyResourceGenerator
                MinRadius = 7.29
                MaxRadius = 16.2
                MinQuantity = 10000
                MaxQuantity = 500000
                MinVertices = 20
                MaxVertices = 50
                RadiusVariance = 0.45
                DepositCount = 17
                NumberOfTries = 30
                Body
                {
                    name = Kerbin
                    MinRadius = 4.05
                    DepositCount = 12
                }
                Body
                {
                    name = Mun
                    DepositCount = 27
                }
                Body
                {
                    name = Minmus
                    MaxRadius = 12.96
                }
                Body
                {
                    name = Sun
                    DepositCount = 0
                }
                Body
                {
                    name = Jool
                    DepositCount = 0
                }
            }
            Body
            {
                Name = Sun
                ScanMask = AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                GeneratorData
                {
                    Seed = 297117288
                }
            }
            Body
            {
                Name = Kerbin
                ScanMask = ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
                GeneratorData
                {
                    Seed = 1001207065
                    Deposit = 383399.37334107206
                    Deposit = 155547.55590183081
                    Deposit = 361125.86230092024
                    Deposit = 32491.482725595815
                    Deposit = 295333.97536041867
                    Deposit = 395291.19962607097
                    Deposit = 420278.46701456158
                    Deposit = 470669.85886109521
                    Deposit = 354910.31681881769
                    Deposit = 149815.918253649
                    Deposit = 17220.502405995736
                    Deposit = 137670.99403202115
                }
            }

The process of mapping a body changes the ScanMask information where apparently "A" means "not observed" and "." means fully observed. There can be other characters there, but once a body is fully mapped there will be 1708 "." characters and nothing else in the ScanMask. I have no idea what the other characters mean, so intermediate states may be problematic, however it may be possible to add a feature where, given a proper polar orbit and some sufficient amount of time, the user can cause the map to be "updated". I'm not sure how to do this, but it does seem like it should be possible since all that's needed is to edit the ScanMask. Presumably the 1708 characters correspond to the pattern of hexagons, so it should even be possible to exclude a region around the poles for orbits that wouldn't cover them.

My experience attempting to map Gilly tells me there are are also bodies where the rotation of the body, coupled with the constraints of the orbit, make it very difficult or perhaps even impossible to get a complete map. The altitude needed to have a good FOV for the sensor seems to result in orbits that synchronize with the rotation making it very hard or impossible to cover all the surface. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough on that one and there was some other orbit I could have gotten into that didn't synchronize and did give acceptable performance for the scanner?

My "workaround", which is very cheaty, is to edit the save file and replace the ScanMask with a fully observed ScanMask once a more than sufficient amount of time has passed. Editing your save file is not a proper way to play the game, but it does allow you to "catch-up" on observations your craft would have made if you had simply left the focus there and walked away for a while. AFAIK it has no impact on what resources you'll find or where you'll find them - it just gives you access to the information you would legitimately have acquired if you had not found more productive things to do with your time than watching the map fill out.

I should note here that my craft had both a Kethane detector and a Metal Ore detector, so there is probably a different ScanMask character for regions where there is only one or the other data.

Edited by schlosrat
fixed typo

On 6/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, schlosrat said:

The process of mapping a body changes the ScanMask information where apparently "A" means "not observed" and "." means fully observed.

Close. It's actually 0 is not scanned, 1 is scanned, and it's a giant bit array (10240 bits iirc) that is then Base64 (MIME) encoded with . and % replacing / and =. But four As = three 0s (bytes) and four .s = three 0xFFs. IOW, "A" represents 6 unscanned cells and "." represents 6 scanned cells.

• 3 weeks later...

I have released Kethane 0.9.12 for KSP 1.4.4.

Changes from 0.9.11:

• Update version check for 1.4.4
  • Actually fix the shader loader (sorry about that). It was really weird that it worked for me (it should not have).

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2018 at 3:27 AM, taniwha said:

I have released Kethane 0.9.12 for KSP 1.4.4.

Changes from 0.9.11:

• Update version check for 1.4.4
  • Actually fix the shader loader (sorry about that). It was really weird that it worked for me (it should not have).

I'm not sure of the process, but CKAN isn't linked to the 0.9.12 update for Kethane Mining. Do you update it's listing or is that something I request from the CKAN people?

@taniwha

So, I've been having trouble with the whole magenta colored missing texture glitch with the grid, and I've been looking through the comments trying to figure out what to do. I see a lot of mention of "delete the two", but what two files are you talking about? It seems that you're trying to talk about deleting two files for linux/osx, yet I don't see any of those files in the Kethane folder.

Could you please elaborate on what I have to do to fix this?

Update:I read a bit further and saw what you were talking about, deleting the other two .ksp files besides the windows file. However, even after doing that, I'm still getting the magenta grid. It appears that there's some missing texture. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

screenshot688.png?width=679&height=382

By the way, I'm running version 0.9.12 in KSP 1.3.1. I'm using Scatterer and AVP, but I don't think that they're what's causing the problem.

Edited by Raptor22

On 8/5/2018 at 7:12 AM, Raptor22 said:

I'm running version 0.9.12 in KSP 1.3.1

This is your problem. KSP 1.3 used Unity 5.something, KSP 1.4 uses Unity 2017. The asset bundles (.ksp files) are not compatible. You will need to fetch a version of Kethane for 1.3.1 (I don't remember the version number, but it will be 0.9.something: just edit the version number in the download url to get the version you want).

I was able to combine some files from the source code from version 0.9.10 and the gamedata of 0.9.12, and somehow making it work.
Honestly, I'm not sure what I did, but now it works and that's all I need to be happy. Grid map, mining, and conversion all work!

screenshot698.png?width=793&height=447

screenshot10.png?width=793&height=447

If you would like me to send you the files so that you can upload a 1.3.1 version for those of us still using it, just ask and I'll be more than willing to comply.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, taniwha said:

kethane-scanning.jpg

First I want to thank you for still maintaining this mod.

I just looked up my first version, which was 0.4.3 in March 2013!!

If this picture really shows what I think, I have to change my whole playstyle, because this mod is always the first one I install!

@Macky03: If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then yes, it's what you think it is. Just to be clear: though I've currently broken the EC mechanic (working on it), background scanning is already pushed to github.

@Drew Kerman: the lack of background scanning has been a thorn in Kethane's side for a long time. VesselModule (KSP 1.0 or so) has made it even remotely possible, but I didn't have time until now.

A bit of an update: I have background scanning working TO SPEC!!!! (meaning EC is still a major concern, and solar panels and RTGs work). Just a bit of a slug* causing a momentary pause every few seconds to sort out, but I know where the problem lies and have some ideas for fixing it.

* slug = bug that causes the code to run slower than it should while still being correct.