taniwha

[1.7] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.10.2 - Now with background scanning.

Recommended Posts

No worries. Good to know the source of the misinformation, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@taniwha Not sure if you are the one I need to contact, or perhaps I should contact the CKAN group, but could you update what CKAN sees as the latest version of Methane Mining mod? CKAN still thinks version 0.10.1 is the latest. Thanks!

If I need to bring this up with CKAN though, just let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GJNelson said:

@taniwha Not sure if you are the one I need to contact, or perhaps I should contact the CKAN group, but could you update what CKAN sees as the latest version of Methane Mining mod? CKAN still thinks version 0.10.1 is the latest. Thanks!

If I need to bring this up with CKAN though, just let me know.

This is from his EPL thread but I'm pretty much sure it holds true for all of the mods he handles

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

This is from his EPL thread but I'm pretty much sure it holds true for all of the mods he handles

 

Thanks for the info. I'll contact CKAN about updating. Not all mods like dealing with CKAN I know, so more than glad to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's more about having the time to deal with CKAN (I don't really have the time to deal with all my mods and other projects, so I'm rather grateful that mods don't normally need much work for KSP updates these days).

Thus I'm even more grateful when people step up to help.

Edited by taniwha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, taniwha said:

For me, it's more about having the time to deal with CKAN (I don't really have the time to deal with all my mods and other projects, so I'm rather grateful that mods don't normally need much work for KSP updates these days).

Thus I'm even more grateful when people step up to help.

Is it a burden to you to maintain http://taniwha.org/~bill/EL.version ? That's how CKAN's updates of ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads were automated. If you created a .version file for Kethane, we could automate this one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That I have automated (I haven't looked at it for month) :) However, due to the way Kethane is packaged, automation is a little more difficult so I haven't gotten there yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting back to playing KSP for the first time in.... 4 or so years. Anyway from back then I have some vague memories of what mods I had, Kethane being one of them and decided to try to get it again. But the page is unclear how Kethane differs from the stock mining in game and what benefits it has over standard mining. An update to the front page would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having an issue when running it with -force-opengl in that I'm getting missing textures on all grid displays in game (in the form of purple/pink hexagons), I've tried looking through the forums for a solution. But I'm a slow reader, so have been looking for key words, while I've found mentions of the purple grid, I've not found any workable solution. Help in this would be fantastic if anyone know of a way to solve it. It works fine when I don't run -force-opengl , however my computer has not aged gracefully and with the constant use some components are starting to show it.

For those wondering "Why not just play without -force-opengl?" if I don't play the game using -force-opengl, while having mods, then the VAB and SPH become incredibly sluggish to respond to mouse and keyboard input after a few minutes (sometimes up to 5 seconds just to pick up a part). Also the amount of RAM allocation KSP seems to request, when not running -force-opengl, is beyond what my poor aging 16GB RAM can handle. (With my setup my RAM sits around 94% usage on the low end, but gets as high as 98% usage when in flight or the VAB)

If anyone has a solution to bring down that RAM allocation without -force-opengl, I welcome it, because it will solve so many problems.

Edited by Angarl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Angarl said:

I'm getting back to playing KSP for the first time in.... 4 or so years. Anyway from back then I have some vague memories of what mods I had, Kethane being one of them and decided to try to get it again. But the page is unclear how Kethane differs from the stock mining in game and what benefits it has over standard mining. An update to the front page would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having an issue when running it with -force-opengl in that I'm getting missing textures on all grid displays in game (in the form of purple/pink hexagons), I've tried looking through the forums for a solution. But I'm a slow reader, so have been looking for key words, while I've found mentions of the purple grid, I've not found any workable solution. Help in this would be fantastic if anyone know of a way to solve it. It works fine when I don't run -force-opengl , however my computer has not aged gracefully and with the constant use some components are starting to show it.

For those wondering "Why not just play without -force-opengl?" if I don't play the game using -force-opengl, while having mods, then the VAB and SPH become incredibly sluggish to respond to mouse and keyboard input after a few minutes (sometimes up to 5 seconds just to pick up a part). Also the amount of RAM allocation KSP seems to request, when not running -force-opengl, is beyond what my poor aging 16GB RAM can handle. (With my setup my RAM sits around 94% usage on the low end, but gets as high as 98% usage when in flight or the VAB)

If anyone has a solution to bring down that RAM allocation without -force-opengl, I welcome it, because it will solve so many problems.

You could just play and find out.  Kethane works basically the same as it did 4 years ago.  And there are plenty of resources that explain how stock mining works.  Modders are busy folks just keeping the mods going.  It isn't really their job to give you the blow by blow of how their mod works vs something else.

If you search this thread for the work pink you will get every post talking about that issue and all the known fixes for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

side note mm refuses to load kethane's dll in 1.8. Recompile is needed.

y21htLJ.png

Edited by ssd21345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 12:17 AM, ssd21345 said:

side note mm refuses to load kethane's dll in 1.8. Recompile is needed.

y21htLJ.png

Not surprising given that @taniwha has not said anything about this mod being updated for 1.8 yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, been busy with work and life, so haven't been able to catch up to 1.8 yet. Unless I get really lucky, it looks like I'll have plenty of time again soon :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Unless I get really lucky

Best of luck then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I have been able to update my other mods without trouble, Kethane will take a bit longer as I need to update the particle code (the legacy particle system has been removed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@taniwha yeah.. KSPWheel had that issue with its dust effects, IIRC... Maybe hit Shadowmage up if you any questions vOv
I guess Sarbian starts off a convo aboot it here:
 

Seems there are issues with the Collision Effects mod too, that seem possibly similar? ... vOv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taniwha said:

It looks like SmokeScreen is what I need to look at.

Aaahhh... mebbe *thats* why Sarbian was involved in the convo... ;) vOv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of an update. Thanks in part to poking at Smoke Screen's code and the Unity docs, and a lot of real poking at Kethane's particle code (never really took the time before), it turns out the translation won't be overly bad: I've found all the fields and math tweaks I think I need, so now it's just sorting out the implementation details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.