[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

• 1 month later...

@taniwha Not sure if you are the one I need to contact, or perhaps I should contact the CKAN group, but could you update what CKAN sees as the latest version of Methane Mining mod? CKAN still thinks version 0.10.1 is the latest. Thanks!

If I need to bring this up with CKAN though, just let me know.

7 minutes ago, GJNelson said:

@taniwha Not sure if you are the one I need to contact, or perhaps I should contact the CKAN group, but could you update what CKAN sees as the latest version of Methane Mining mod? CKAN still thinks version 0.10.1 is the latest. Thanks!

If I need to bring this up with CKAN though, just let me know.

This is from his EPL thread but I'm pretty much sure it holds true for all of the mods he handles

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

This is from his EPL thread but I'm pretty much sure it holds true for all of the mods he handles

Thanks for the info. I'll contact CKAN about updating. Not all mods like dealing with CKAN I know, so more than glad to help.

For me, it's more about having the time to deal with CKAN (I don't really have the time to deal with all my mods and other projects, so I'm rather grateful that mods don't normally need much work for KSP updates these days).

Thus I'm even more grateful when people step up to help.

Edited by taniwha

57 minutes ago, taniwha said:

For me, it's more about having the time to deal with CKAN (I don't really have the time to deal with all my mods and other projects, so I'm rather grateful that mods don't normally need much work for KSP updates these days).

Thus I'm even more grateful when people step up to help.

Is it a burden to you to maintain http://taniwha.org/~bill/EL.version ? That's how CKAN's updates of ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads were automated. If you created a .version file for Kethane, we could automate this one as well.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting back to playing KSP for the first time in.... 4 or so years. Anyway from back then I have some vague memories of what mods I had, Kethane being one of them and decided to try to get it again. But the page is unclear how Kethane differs from the stock mining in game and what benefits it has over standard mining. An update to the front page would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having an issue when running it with -force-opengl in that I'm getting missing textures on all grid displays in game (in the form of purple/pink hexagons), I've tried looking through the forums for a solution. But I'm a slow reader, so have been looking for key words, while I've found mentions of the purple grid, I've not found any workable solution. Help in this would be fantastic if anyone know of a way to solve it. It works fine when I don't run -force-opengl , however my computer has not aged gracefully and with the constant use some components are starting to show it.

For those wondering "Why not just play without -force-opengl?" if I don't play the game using -force-opengl, while having mods, then the VAB and SPH become incredibly sluggish to respond to mouse and keyboard input after a few minutes (sometimes up to 5 seconds just to pick up a part). Also the amount of RAM allocation KSP seems to request, when not running -force-opengl, is beyond what my poor aging 16GB RAM can handle. (With my setup my RAM sits around 94% usage on the low end, but gets as high as 98% usage when in flight or the VAB)

If anyone has a solution to bring down that RAM allocation without -force-opengl, I welcome it, because it will solve so many problems.

Edited by Angarl

4 hours ago, Angarl said:

I'm getting back to playing KSP for the first time in.... 4 or so years. Anyway from back then I have some vague memories of what mods I had, Kethane being one of them and decided to try to get it again. But the page is unclear how Kethane differs from the stock mining in game and what benefits it has over standard mining. An update to the front page would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having an issue when running it with -force-opengl in that I'm getting missing textures on all grid displays in game (in the form of purple/pink hexagons), I've tried looking through the forums for a solution. But I'm a slow reader, so have been looking for key words, while I've found mentions of the purple grid, I've not found any workable solution. Help in this would be fantastic if anyone know of a way to solve it. It works fine when I don't run -force-opengl , however my computer has not aged gracefully and with the constant use some components are starting to show it.

For those wondering "Why not just play without -force-opengl?" if I don't play the game using -force-opengl, while having mods, then the VAB and SPH become incredibly sluggish to respond to mouse and keyboard input after a few minutes (sometimes up to 5 seconds just to pick up a part). Also the amount of RAM allocation KSP seems to request, when not running -force-opengl, is beyond what my poor aging 16GB RAM can handle. (With my setup my RAM sits around 94% usage on the low end, but gets as high as 98% usage when in flight or the VAB)

If anyone has a solution to bring down that RAM allocation without -force-opengl, I welcome it, because it will solve so many problems.

You could just play and find out.  Kethane works basically the same as it did 4 years ago.  And there are plenty of resources that explain how stock mining works.  Modders are busy folks just keeping the mods going.  It isn't really their job to give you the blow by blow of how their mod works vs something else.

If you search this thread for the work pink you will get every post talking about that issue and all the known fixes for it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update. Thanks in part to poking at Smoke Screen's code and the Unity docs, and a lot of real poking at Kethane's particle code (never really took the time before), it turns out the translation won't be overly bad: I've found all the fields and math tweaks I think I need, so now it's just sorting out the implementation details.

• 3 months later...

When I can tear myself away from another project :/ Fortunately, the flow of bugs is slowing down so it should be easier to switch mental tracks soon.

Sorry about the wait.

I should add that I DO have it mostly working in 1.9.1, just missing the particles.

I've released version 0.10.3 of Kethane, updating for KSP 1.9. Unfortunately, I had to disable Kethane's particles for now. They'll be back when I figure out porting them to Shuriken.

However, Kethane's grid does now show in the main menu when using Kopernicus :)

Great work you've been doing keeping this up to date! By chance will you be porting this to 1.8.1 for those of us who are on it due with mods that haven't updated from the previous version? I would really appreciate it if it's possible to do.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, taniwha said:

It should work just fine in 1.8.1. You'll get the warning popup, but that's all.

Unfortunately, that is not true.  During loading, an error box comes up which you can clear, but then at the end of the loading sequence, the message in white text at the bottom of the screen says;

Mod(s) DLL that are not compatible with this version of KSP

1.0.7092.28523 GameData\Kethane\Plugins\Kethane.dll

In the yellow bar, the last message is "Verifying Expansion: Breaking Ground SquadExpansion/Serenity

The game will not load past this point

This is on 1.8.1 plus Making History and Breaking Ground.