[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

33 minutes ago, Table said:

1.1 compatability?

Are you seriously going to bother every modder with the same one liner?  1.1 hasn't even been released yet (no a Pre-release is not a release).  The only reason you should even be messing with 1.1 is to help squad iron out remaining bugs so they CAN release it.  I would expect lots of modders are going to wait until the official release as bug fixes during the pre-release could cause them extra work.  And I wouldn't blame them for waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, want to report a bug here. As soon as the fuel is about to reach it's max value when using the heavy converter, both liquid fuel and oxidizer get NAN values and the game crashes. Doesn't happen with small converter though, any ideas?

I checked the github, but I couldn't really find an answer. I'm sorry to ask such a silly question, but I don't really understand. Why exactly does one use this mod? Why not just use stock and mine ore, it can be converted to most fuels, same as kethane, right? I don't mean any offence by this, I am just trying to understand what this mod offers that isn't available in the stock game.

23 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

I checked the github, but I couldn't really find an answer. I'm sorry to ask such a silly question, but I don't really understand. Why exactly does one use this mod? Why not just use stock and mine ore, it can be converted to most fuels, same as kethane, right? I don't mean any offence by this, I am just trying to understand what this mod offers that isn't available in the stock game.

KocLobster,  How long have you been around the KSP scene?  I ask because back in the day, Kethane was the first and only resource mod around.  It had (and still has) a geodesic grid scanning mechanism that is unique vs all other IRSU mods.

These days there isn't nearly as much of a reason to use kethane (or for that matter the other mod Karbonite) vs stock, except for the variety.  But many people still prefer how Kethane works vs the stock system and like to use it.

Yeah, it comes down to the differences in how it works. Stock is insta-scan, Kethane you have to work for your scan. There are other differences, but that's probably the main one.

However, Extraplanetary Launchpads uses both stock and Kethane simultaneously, thus Kethane gives you 100% concentration hotspots.

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

KocLobster,  How long have you been around the KSP scene?  I ask because back in the day, Kethane was the first and only resource mod around.  It had (and still has) a geodesic grid scanning mechanism that is unique vs all other IRSU mods.

These days there isn't nearly as much of a reason to use kethane (or for that matter the other mod Karbonite) vs stock, except for the variety.  But many people still prefer how Kethane works vs the stock system and like to use it.

Not long at all really. I didn't discover KSP until after it was officially released (1.0).

That makes sense, thanks for the info. I thought it might be something like that.

18 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Yeah, it comes down to the differences in how it works. Stock is insta-scan, Kethane you have to work for your scan. There are other differences, but that's probably the main one.

However, Extraplanetary Launchpads uses both stock and Kethane simultaneously, thus Kethane gives you 100% concentration hotspots.

What do you mean by insta-scan? I use SCANsat, and nothing scans instantly for me (although I suppose I could change that with settings). I've never actually used the stock resources/scanning/ore/drilling/etc., I ended up getting SCANsat before I even got that far.

Now Taniwha, this topic has been beat to death, and glossing over key points just opens old wounds.  Does this dead horse need to be beat more?

Kethane, like scansat requires a full scan of the planet.  In fact, back in the day Kethane did not support background processing so you literally would setup your satellite, hit your timewarp and alt tab away awhile.  Once complete you had a perfect picture of exactly where to land to effectively mine.

The stock system, you put a satellite in polar orbit and bam, instant results.  The idea being that a mechanic that basically requires timewarp is an un-fun mechanic.  HOWEVER this "insta-scan" is very innaccurate.  i have had times where landing where there was a supposed hotspot was not nearly as good as expected.  So you can narrow down using the narrow band scanner, and finally "ground truth" the area with the surface scanner.

So yes, if 1. put in polar orbit 2. timewarp to done is working for your results then yes Kethane you have to work for it.

Realistically I put far more "work" into finding good hotspots with the stock method, as it generally requires a rover to pinpoint that best spot.

I guess the question becomes then: if scanning is the only major difference, why have the rest of the resource and duplicated parts baggage and just mod the stock scanning mechanic instead?

21 minutes ago, Jarin said:

I guess the question becomes then: if scanning is the only major difference, why have the rest of the resource and duplicated parts baggage and just mod the stock scanning mechanic instead?

Because the parts are really well done.  It's nostalgic.  Oh and they are green.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible bug :(

Kethane 0.9.6

KSP 1.12 x64

Getting Nan errors if the small kethane converter runs out of Kethane, appears to work alright if there is a trickle coming in from a drill. Haven't tried the large converter yet

If you want logs / mod list poke me with a blunt stick :)

Edit Oops, not the small converter, the large one

Edited by Agnemon

This will be nice to have. Without Kethane I'd have to pretty much start all over. I wonder if I'll be able to use my old save if all the mods I was using get updated?

Edited by Galane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.