[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

I recently added Kethan to my game to go along with Extraplanetary Launchpads, so it's taken me a bit to figure things out. Now I have a question:

Are the two scanners really supposed to be at the same tech level or am I the victim of too many mods screwing with my tech tree? The KE-S210 Compact Survey Unit is in the Scanning Tech node (300 sci cost) and the KE-S110 Medium Survey Unit is in the Electronics Tech node (also 300 sci cost). I would have thought that one of the scanners would be available around the same tech level that the extractor can be researched, even if it's not a good scanner.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Deep Kethane mentioned a while back implemented?

I have an odd psychological need to hoard any resource that is finite even if I could never use it all, but if there is a replenishment (even uselessly small), I'm OK :)

Also, might there be an option to have a slow resource generation on all the tiles (proportional to the starting density perhaps)?

I'm imagining a harvester sucking down all the local Kethane, moving on to the next tiles, and by the time it has trundled a route around the entire planet, the starting hex has a bit of resource built up again.  An infinite cycle of nomadic wandering.

No, it's not implemented yet. I had, unfortunately, sort of forgotten, so I thank you for the reminder.

Actually, one of my ideas regarding Deep Kethane is that the deep spots themselves do not deplete (but are hard to hit) and slowly replenish the normal deposits. My thought is that the deep reservoirs are big enough that it would take an industrialized nation to make a dent in them, but they seep through cracks etc into the surrounding terrain to make the readily accessible (but easily deplete-able) deposits. This idea has a basis in unverified* reality: while I was working at a oil and gas well-site monitoring company (2000-2003), I was told about a gas well in (iirc) the Yukon Territory that was depleted and capped off, but several years later was reopened because the pressure had returned. (* I had reasons to take that story (and others) with a pinch of salt)

One of the reasons for slow development is Majiir made Kethane very hard for anybody but him to work on (at least anybody who doesn't speak linq as a native language). Pile RL on top of that, and...

6 hours ago, The Rocketeer 88 said:

Hello

I have the same issue with pink kerbin hexagon a the place of normal map display for kethane. I see your solution but i'm not great with all of that think so please i love your mod but can you explain more simply the fix .

Thank you for all

It is pretty straight forward.  You delete the 2 files for the operating system you don't use.  IE if you are running windows you will remove the mac and linux ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've released Kethane version 0.9.11, updated for KSP 1.4.1.

Changes from 0.9.10:

• Build fixes for Unity 2017 (fortunately for me, the old particles still work).
  • Shaders rebuild for Unity 2017
  • Asset bundle loading should be fixed.

There is a converter PR waiting that I need to go over, but this should tide everyone over for now.

Edited by taniwha

3 hours ago, FeersumEndjinn said:

Hi Taniwha,

Are there any plans on providing pre-built binaries/mods for those of us who want to use Kethane on a Mac but have no access to a Windows machine to run the built utilities?

In what way?  Mods by design are cross platform.  In the case of EL you just have to remove the configs for the OS you aren't using (in your case the linux and windows ones).

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

In what way?  Mods by design are cross platform.  In the case of EL you just have to remove the configs for the OS you aren't using (in your case the linux and windows ones).

I think you meant Kethane rather than EL :)

Anyway, the need to delete the other .ksp files should have gone away with 0.9.11.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, taniwha said:

@Aptiva: rather than removing your question, it would be far better to edit the answer you found into your post so others with the same question can find the answer a little easier.

I was asking about the pink grid and shaders. It was answered 3 posts above mine. 

Essentially I had pink grid around orbital bodies and it was due to not removing the OSX/Linux ksp files on my Windows version of the mod.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:51 AM, taniwha said:

Is that not fixed in 1.4? It should be.

Not on my end. I still had the pink grid with KSP 1.4.1 and Kethane 0.9.11.  After deleting the 2 the pink grid was gone for me and nodes show up normally.

Dunno if it's based on video cards or detection of the OS/KSP release so I don't have an answer. I can possibly recreate it and if there's a log to share, I can get it.

Edited by Aptiva
Added clarity

• 3 weeks later...