[1.05] KerbolBattles Parts Pack [1/2/16]

SuicidalInsanity

hYR3bHg.png?1

KerbolBattles Parts Pack

Download

This adds Kerbalized parts from StarWars to KSP. Currently features a small selection of cockpits, engines and structural parts, with more to come

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Kottabos review (From Version 1.0)

Licensing

The contents of this mod are distributed a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode'

This package comes packaged with JSI (RasterPropMonitor) as a dependancy, and is distributed under its own license (included).

This package comes utilizes the NearFutureSolar plugin by Nertea (NFE) as a dependancy, and is distributed under its own license.

ModuleManager - made by Sarbian & Ialdabaoth - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29

Edited by SuicidalInsanity
updating OP

I've tried and it looks great!

I have one issue: when the kerbal goes on EVA, it starts to slide and then keeps "nodding" on the edge of the pod...

I'd also like to make a suggestion: what about changing that top round window/door for a flatter one (or putting one of those OLD docking nodes on the back)?

I know it will break some of the effect but it would allow us to connect it to a station like an early cuppola as passinglurker said. And I think it might solve the jumping kerbal problem...

@ Everyone: Thanks for the words of praise, everyone

@ jlcarneiro: Old docking nodes?

@Spork of Doom: Not at present, no - this was a one-off part I made on a lark waaaay back in the 0.23.5 era as an intro to KSP modding. Why did I wait till now to release it? Blame it on (temporarily) misplacing it due to switching hard drives and operating systems. That said, I am now halfway tempted to make others, and it would give me an excuse to rewatch the starwars trilogy again, so maybe? Are there any cockpits people would have a preference for?

@ Everyone: Thanks for the words of praise, everyone

@Spork of Doom: Not at present, no - this was a one-off part I made on a lark waaaay back in the 0.23.5 era as an intro to KSP modding. Why did I wait till now to release it? Blame it on (temporarily) misplacing it due to switching hard drives and operating systems. That said, I am now halfway tempted to make others, and it would give me an excuse to rewatch the starwars trilogy again, so maybe? Are there any cockpits people would have a preference for?

Maybe proper TIE struts?

Wait. I've been such an idiot!

THE FALCON'S COCKPIT!

Edited by CptRichardson

Lol Fair enough, Ahh computer upgrading is like moving to a new house, files get lost :P

As for ideas, defiantly the Falcon's cockpit pod, also maybe the front cockpit pod of the Imperial Shuttle, and the ones I mentioned earlier. :cool:

Lol Fair enough, Ahh computer upgrading is like moving to a new house, files get lost :P

As for ideas, defiantly the Falcon's cockpit pod, also maybe the front cockpit pod of the Imperial Shuttle, and the ones I mentioned earlier. :cool:

Well, if you wanted to do the imperial shuttle, it might be better to mate it to an adaptor for the Mk2 system...

I don't know its name because I've never used it... It was a docking node you used on the side of the craft to put a docking port on it, I guess... I think it disappeared after 1.0, I could not find it now...

Here a screenshot I got from the forums. The said part is marked in red.

jtlcS2B.jpg

Falcon, W-wing and Y-Wing 'pits should be easy enough, I'll have to take a look at the Imp shuttle's cockpit to see if it can be easily kerbalised.

@jlcarneiro; Oh, the surface attach mount thing. Is it truly necessary? The TIE pod already has a rear 1.25m attach node, it's just inset in the rear of the pod. Hold Alt to disable surface attach to easily mount something to the back of it.

@jlcarneiro; Oh, the surface attach mount thing. Is it truly necessary? The TIE pod already has a rear 1.25m attach node, it's just inset in the rear of the pod. Hold Alt to disable surface attach to easily mount something to the back of it.

I agree it is not strictly necessary, but if used as a base cuppola, the only way to access it is through EVA? I thought about some kind of docking port...

That's pretty cool!

And yes, we totally need a sound mod that adds TIE sounds. And TIE engines.

Oh, and how about TIE Advanced\Avenger cockpit? "Ball" cockpit can be used to replicate almost all common TIEs from movies and games (Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber, Defender, Vader's craft), but not the TIE\A.

@biohazard15; TIE Avenger: I'm unfamiliar with that one, but a quick googling and it looks like it has a standard ball cockpit?

Edit: looking at all the TIE variants (totally forgot about the tank), it looks like at some point I'm going to need to make TIE style solar structural/wing panels as well as the cockpits people have requested.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

Ooh very nice! I'm looking forward to more stuff looking like this!

BTW - the almost completely stock jet-powered Tie Fighter example/sample fighter included in the package flies surprisingly well! And VERY stable! Yaw and pitch are VERY snappy but without throwing the fighter out of control. The only weakness in the performance is the roll rate. It's not nearly as responsive as the yaw and pitch. But I think adding another reaction wheel (or upping the strength of the existing one on that axis) might help with that.

If you're careful with your throttle, you can even land it back on it's "tail" on the ground, it's so stable!

One thing I've not been able to do is get it to orbit in SSTO mode. Mainly it's just a lack of fuel. I replaced the jet with a RAPIER and added some oxidizer tanks from Firespitter, and the best I can do it get it up to around 27-30,000 meters from the runway.

On the other hand, I actually managed to glide it down and ditch in the ocean without breaking anything! (Granted I have the better buoyancy mod, but still...)

The fact that the TIE Interceptor CAN glide and fly in the atmosphere - AT ALL - much less do it WELL, is surprising! Though I suspect that the standard TIE wouldn't be able to do that at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.