"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

2 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

I might be a bad bad person for saying this, but I hate bad grammar.

Hi @kiwi1960. No, that doesn't make you a bad person. But Parkaboy is not a native English speaker, so it's maybe unreasonable to expect perfection, don't you think? I expect @Parkaboy would appreciate your help if you wrote to him in a private message with the page number of the mistakes you found. If he wouldn't appreciate it, I'm sure he will let us know in the thread :).

On the other hand, are you absolutely certain there is no such word as "betted"?

Edited by Deddly

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Hi @kiwi1960. No, that doesn't make you a bad person. But Parkaboy is not a native English speaker, so it's maybe unreasonable to expect perfection, don't you think? I expect @Parkaboy would appreciate your help if you wrote to him in a private message with the page number of the mistakes you found. If he wouldn't appreciate it, I'm sure he will let us know in the thread :).

On the other hand, are you absolutely certain there is no such word as "betted"?

Well, I assumed he was because the rest of his English was VERY GOOD... no offence meant.

That appears to be a Latvian website, because I can assure you that in the Queens English, the word "bet" covers all uses, it isn't like the words...

eat ... as in , eat, eating, eaten...
wash ... as in, I have washed, I wash or I am washing...

here you go...
http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/bet

Having said that, English is changing all the time... when I was at school some 50 odd years ago, I learnt that "Hovercrat" meant one, or many... like this...

The hovercraft appeared out of nowhere

and

the two hovercraft raced over the water.

Sadly, I know now that many people say "hovercraft" to mean one, and "hovercrafts" to mean more than one, which is wrong, but it seems to be accepted today.

My old English teacher would be spinning in his grave.... :)

3 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

I just found this thread.... I started reading and then stopped.... dead.... no more.

Sorry about that. As has been pointed out, I'm not a native english speaker. In fact, I'm barely an english speaker, since pretty much the only place I practice it is here on these forums. I mostly rely on windows auto-correct to fix my mistakes, but it often fails me.

So I can't promise that the grammar will ever be perfect. If that's unbearable to you, too bad...

45 minutes ago, Deddly said:

This, please. Not only it's more polite, but it also doesn't derail the thread from its topic.

And if my grammar bothers you, you should see my math. As @Zhetaan was so kind to point out in a private message, I completely botched the head count on Chapter 41. There are 49 kerbals left in the universe, not 39. Good news for them I guess, but I'll have to fix the chapter. :D

@Parkaboy as I said, no offence meant... I'm going to be 56 in July and its a pet hate of mine, BUT, I thought your English was so good you HAD to be an English speaker.

So, kudos to you sir.

Your ... excuse, if we can call it that, is acceptable and I can forgive you the mistakes you make. I might go back to reading it tomorrow, as its currently 12:21am here in New Zealand.

Can I ask where "home" is... you might find that I do speak your language... maybe... I know a few. :)

Edited by kiwi1960

2 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

@Parkaboy as I said, no offence meant... I'm going to be 56 in July and its a pet hate of mine, BUT, I thought your English was so good you HAD to be an English speaker.

So, kudos to you sir.

Your ... excuse, if we can call it that, is acceptable and I can forgive you the mistakes you make. I might go back to reading it tomorrow, as its currently 12:21am here in New Zealand.

Can I ask where "home" is... you might find that I do speak your language... maybe... I know a few. :)

Worry not, no offense taken!

I'm from the troubled country of Brazil, famous for its beautiful beaches and its vicious internet commenters. I live in my native city of Belo Horizonte, which unfortunately has no beaches. I wish I had the time to study other languages, as french is slowly fading from my memory, but since I teach portuguese, I end up having to study it instead of learning or perfecting other tongues.

14 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

I'm from the troubled country of Brazil, famous for its beautiful beaches and its vicious internet commenters. I live in my native city of Belo Horizonte, which unfortunately has no beaches. I wish I had the time to study other languages, as french is slowly fading from my memory, but since I teach portuguese, I end up having to study it instead of learning or perfecting other tongues.

(shudder) Just watch out for the Mosquitoes.... :(

I will get back on topic now. I will read the "book" tomorrow... way past my bedtime, 12:50am .... :(

51 minutes ago, DMSP said:

This is amazing. I love Plan Kappa.

Maybe you should consider publishing it (if you can [dunno what squad would say]).

Great story, I can't get enough!

Sir, you warm my heart. I do Plan Kappa because it's really fun, but it doesn't hurt to know people are enjoying it! Ultimately I think it can only work as it is: a fanfic. It depends too heavily on details that only a KSP fan can appreciate, so I don't see much point on publishing outside the forum.

7 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

I just found this thread.... I started reading and then stopped.... dead.... no more.

betted????????

Sir..... respectfully....

"I bet him"
"he bet me"
"I bet you"
You bet me"

There is no such word as "betted"

Sorry.

Grammar bad person.

(Which I can say as a grammar bad person.)

Touché, forum software. You all know what I mean...

Edited by Andem

6 hours ago, Deddly said:

I expect @Parkaboy would appreciate your help if you wrote to him in a private message with the page number of the mistakes you found. 

Yeah, that's kind of the way most of us prefer to get errata (I've been writing in English for over 40 years now and I still make mistakes) PMs are generally preferred because (1) however respectfully you put it, you are telling EVERYONE the author got it wrong, and forcing him to respond publicly, (2) the back and forth discussion takes the thread off topic, and (3) about half the errata people send me are actually not mistakes at all, so aren't PMs just better for all concerned? :) 

5 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Sorry about that. As has been pointed out, I'm not a native english speaker. In fact, I'm barely an english speaker, since pretty much the only place I practice it is here on these forums. I mostly rely on windows auto-correct to fix my mistakes, but it often fails me.

Wow... seriously?  I think your English is outstanding!   Until I read this, I had no idea it wasn't your first language. 

24 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... seriously?  I think your English is outstanding!   Until I read this, I had no idea it wasn't your first language. 

Well, I'm just glad you can't hear my accent. :D

6 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

39 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Agree with Just Jim here. I have absolutely no issues with your English in regards to your text here. It's excellent, so keep your head up! You're doing fine.
(And this is from a guy that has a strong British upbringing....grandparents were British that emigrated to Canada just after WWII, so I think you can guess how strict they were when it comes to proper speech and etiquette ....which I admit I let it "slide" over time.)

Edited by GDJ

3 hours ago, Andem said:

Grammar bad person.

(Which I can say as a grammar bad person.)

Touché, forum software. You all know what I mean...

Yes yes yes.... I often call myself that on FaceBook... and it often backfires on me because I make so many typos due to the MS induced double vision.

However... this APPARENT bad word was so blatant ... the urge to put on my officers uniform with the big letter G on the sleeves was too much to resist

BUT... with the uniform comes great responsibility, when I was shown the error of my ways, that he wasn't actually an English speaker, I did what not many would do...

...I said sorry, did I not? Credit me that at least!

:)

10 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Well, I'm just glad you can't hear my accent. :D

Nobody alive can either place or comprehend my accent as it is a combination of living all over the US and in several other countries plus various injuries to the moving parts.  I'm a stranger in my own land.  Surely you don't have that problem? :)

My accent flops between Canadian, Scots, English, Irish, and Aussie at random, so I feel the Accent Pain :D

Regardless, excellent start to the new chapter! I'll put down 10 funds that Jeb isn't dead and a further 15 funds that he's time-travelled.

21 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Also, I still can't get over how happy Valentina looks when she's announcing that Kerbin's gone.

Clearly she's keeping up everyone's spirits, right? What a great leader! 

But yeah, she's tough to work with sometimes because her badSery gives her only about two expressions: (1) content to be sitting on the ground (2) absolutely thrilled to be anywhere else. I sometimes use a not-stupid, not-brave, not-badS stunt double when I need her to look 'concerned'.

On 26/03/2016 at 8:32 AM, Parkaboy said:

wait you're a Miner? ( "Miners"Is how we call the inhabitants of Parkaboy's province here in Brazil)
How are the things in our lovely Minecraft State of good people and good cheese? (Miners cheese is quite famous down here)
I hope you're better than here on Rio. The city is burning out.

literally.

I guess this is the price of "liberty"...

cheers! 

I wonder how they'll reboot the space program. Eve Space Program perhaps?

Let's hope the explosion molded Kerbals together and one of them are heading straight towards some of the 49.

Oh and I ho--#JEBLIVES

DoMM7EU.png

14 hours ago, Nahim said:

wait you're a Miner? ( "Miners"Is how we call the inhabitants of Parkaboy's province here in Brazil)
How are the things in our lovely Minecraft State of good people and good cheese? (Miners cheese is quite famous down here)
I hope you're better than here on Rio. The city is burning out.

literally.

I guess this is the price of "liberty"...

cheers! 

Well... other than the fact I may have dengue fever, can't really complain.

5 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Well... other than the fact I may have dengue fever, can't really complain.

That's painful! :0.0: I gather it's not the hemorragic variety, or you'd be in a hospital right now.

Hang in there! For me it took 4 days to get completely over it.

Edit: Love the new sig! I didn't notice until right now.  When did you change it?

Edited by Chemp