Revert flight to VAB/SPH glitches part editor

KSP: 1.0.4.861 on Win7x64

Problem:

When reverting a flight to VAB/SPH, the part editor (left side which lets you choose the different parts) glitches out as in:

• Grouped tabs disappear and all parts are together in a huge list

vfbiu02.png?1

• or part icons disappear entirely

tul5Kja.png?1

This happens randomly when reverting a flight.

Temporarily solved by leaving the VAB/SPH and retrun to the KSC overview and then re-entering the VAB-SPH.

Mods installed: (most recent versions)

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jrZZRkWX

Reproduction steps:

Test a ship and revert back to VAB/SPH.

Error thrown:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.PopOtherButtonsInGroup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.SetTrue (.RUIToggleButtonTyped btn, ClickType clickType, Boolean popButtonsInGroup) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.SetStateFromLastState (.RUIToggleButtonTyped btn, ClickType clickType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RUIToggleButtonTyped.MouseInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIManager.DispatchInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VABCamera.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Log:

output_log.txt on DropBox

Does anyone have the same problem and/or found a way around it?

Edited by Wosser1

I have had my parts disappear on me as well under the same conditions. Never did find out why. Now I just deal with it by either launching again then reverting or leaving out to the space center itself then going back in. It's annoying but can be worked around. Never had it happen twice in a row so this work around works for me.

I had this error for a long time. If you so much as touch your craft in such a state, you're probably going to come back to it missing a bunch of parts.

Bizarrely it hasn't happened in weeks. I installed a bunch more mods and it just quit doing it (none were even bugfixes!), I wish I could offer a better explanation of why!

• 1 month later...
Same here, still happening in 1.1.

Yeah, 1.1 is not out so I doubt you have it happening there. :wink:

-----------

I had the same issue on this thread.

Here what I found as a workaround (haven't tested it personally though):

Bug 3: No parts appearing in VAB

This bug is very probably linked to ModuleManager and its tech tree system. It seems that the issue is caused by (re)installing MM on an already existing save (including updating it, or removing an older version). MM changes the tech tree path in the persistent.sfs file to its own tech tree and will not allow to restore it to the orignial location: manually editing the path is useless as MM restores it as soon as you launch the game or load the savefile. No issue found yet though.

The tech tree issue might also be caused by Community Resource Pack or orbital scans (issue discussed in this thread). But the actual cause is not clear, as users reported having it on an install without CRP, and RoverDude denies it being the cause. A workaround found in the thread is to delete every planetary resource scan manually in the save file, and possibly not doing any anymore.

Sometimes, when reverting a flight to Vehicle Assembly, all parts will disappear from the editor menu. Can be solved by leaving VAB to KSC view, and getting back to VAB.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play KSP
  2. Revert to "Vehicle Assembly"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.