Kids playing KSP

Warzouz

KSP is definitely a game that gaps the generations.

What it also means is telling your significant other that they need a PC of their own to play the game.

And all things considered it would be cheaper for you to build a new system :wink: and you will give your current PC to the little one.

I didn't realize there were so many adults in this community.

I don't see a "kid's mode" being necessary, really. Part of the fun of Kerbal is experimenting with the wide variety of parts you have. I suspect most children don't find it overwhelming; they either focus on one part (planes or rockets) or embrace the game in its entirety. Still, it's an interesting idea. Does the demo still have sandbox? That might be a good way to introduce those who are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the full version of the game. Plus, it's free!

I keep trying to encourage my buddy to get his kid into KSP. It is so kid friendly and stimulates their brains to boot. They can go at their own pace, as well, not worrying too much about the finer points of orbits and such. Unless they feel ready for that.

I have no kids myself (hell, I'm 22 and I don't plan to, I'm a selfish [Jon Snow], you know), but I really hope that KSP will influence the path of at least some of them.

I really want to see the humankind to go places and leave foot prints not only on the Moon's soil. I hope that this game is a good beginning for those kids that are just fooling around right now. Maybe some of them will be the first to land on Mars or be the ones who made that happen? Who knows...

Edited by Veeltch

That is what science mode is for. Essentially sandbox, but with science gathering and the tech-tree unlocks. Might be a good balance between the overwhelming of sandbox and the challenge of career.

When I first started experimenting with KSP (I'm no kid at 33, BTW) I jumped into sandbox mode, then promptly pulled that 'woah' face you make when you go to a bar with a huge beer selection and the bartender asks what you want. I then decided that science mode was for me, to learn about how everything works. Then that got boring really quickly and I chose to consult YouTube masters like Scott Manley for tips instead.

As an adult with a fairly good grasp of advanced technical concepts like orbital mechanics (and whatever else one must deal with in their chosen profession or their other interests outside work and KSP) it's sometimes hard to fathom just how much kids can learn in a relatively short period of time. We have to keep reminding ourselves that kid brains are massively fertile learning sponges, and they soak it all up without you even realising it.

Take a ten-year-old for instance. They can read and write better than a lot of adults I know, so they speak the language, plus they're learning about mathematics, history, science, social skills, sports, politics, and society in general, plus more, all at the same time. Imagine cramming the same quantity of info into your head, and retaining a large fraction of it, over a ten year period on top of what you already know. You'd go bonkers.

I didn't realize there were so many adults in this community.

I don't see a "kid's mode" being necessary, really. Part of the fun of Kerbal is experimenting with the wide variety of parts you have. I suspect most children don't find it overwhelming; they either focus on one part (planes or rockets) or embrace the game in its entirety. Still, it's an interesting idea. Does the demo still have sandbox? That might be a good way to introduce those who are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the full version of the game. Plus, it's free!

It depends on what you mean by "KID".

Over 11 year old, sure, they can read, learn an play mostly as we do. But for younger (6 - 10) it's very hard, especially when you can't read english. Even many of us didn't get how to fly a rocket to orbit on their own (remember the floor of "I can't get to space" topics...).

A Kid mode (or mod :D) is worth it for young kids.

Same here. It seems that not much people around me play KSP. I tried once to talk my classmate into it with no success.

Trying to contain all those principles and laws and terms to not look like a complete geek/nerd/mad man is exhausting...

Applies to me as well, in school, I've noticed a few people who play KSP, but as far as I am concerned, they don't invest ridiculous amounts of time in the game, and while they've learned a fair bit from KSP, some aren't exactly sure of how to get to planets and such.

Found KSP on youtube, and i have been playing since .16. Im cant wait to be an aeronautical engineer. Who knows?

As for kids mode, Absolutely not. The best part and the most fun in the beginning is trying to figure everything out, and what works.

Edited by KasperVld
Disclosure of PII

My two year old son likes to watch me fly my "uh-pane". It's not as fun when I have to enter map view, because all he sees is "a ball"... His favorite part by far is when I crash, because he gets to exclaim "BOOM!". He also likes to take the mouse and move the camera around.

The problem is, we live under final approach to a nearby airport. I wonder what the passengers would think if they knew an enthusiastic child was watching them, exclaiming "uhh-pane BOOM!"...

My daughter showed an intrest at the weekend, she is 9. I started her off in a science sandbox, learning with solid rockets and watching them go splat. Then she got the idea of parachutes but not the staging, another splat. Now I've got a multiplayer server setup on my raspberry pi, and we are currently building a space station around Mun, With help from mechjeb.

Same here. It seems that not much people around me play KSP. I tried once to talk my classmate into it with no success.

Trying to contain all those principles and laws and terms to not look like a complete geek/nerd/mad man is exhausting...

Same here. Most of my classmates or even student at my age in my country just go crazy with DOTA or LOL. I've tried to find people around me who also play this game but have no success. There isn't a single person on this game even I'm studying Aeronautics and ASTRONAUTICS seems strange. I've tried to introduce the game to some of my 'geek' friends but most of them just wouldn't keep playing although showing big interest. I'm not really sure why it's so upsetting. :(

Luckily, community is really friendly here and I'm glad I found this game.:sticktongue:

Edited by EwingKang
affirmative words

Same here. Most of my classmates or even student at my age in my country just go crazy with DOTA or LOL. I've tried to find people around me who also play this game but have no success. There isn't a single person on this game even I'm studying Aeronautics and ASTRONAUTICS seems strange. I've tried to introduce the game to some of my 'geek' friends but most of them just wouldn't keep playing although showing big interest. I'm not really sure why it's so upsetting. :(

Luckily, community is really friendly here and I'm glad I found this game.:sticktongue:

This will sound like bashing of people for their differences, but I'm sick and tired of LOL and Dota players. And there's that world championship that I simply can't understand. Not to mention CoD or BF, which is basically recycling of same things over and over and selling it to their fanboys.

But, like you mentioned it, this community is one of a kind. You have a problem? Ask a question and someone will kindly help you within minutes. Interested in global warming? Here's a discussion thread so you can share your opinion. Want talk about KSP in native langauge (Croatia here!) ? Here are some international threads for you.

Since I rediscovered KSP two years ago, it's the only game I played.

Both of my little brothers play KSP with me when they are up to it, they are in 3rd and 5th grade and the best recommendation I can make to help immerse and keep them motivated is I printed out the ribbon for their mission and made a pin out of it even though they each crashed they absolutely loved it.

Edited by Vanamonde

I do think there's scope for an intro/junior game mode. A bit like science mode with a few parts, and maybe a few 'missions' that serve as what to do ideas. Something along the lines of... Extra parts, features and missions get unlocked automatically as you progress.

Eg. When you get a stable Kerbin orbit the Mun gets 'unlocked' along with parts you will need to land there etc.

Then at a certain level, say once Minmus landings and returns gave been accomplished, the progression stops and players, having got some good experience of the basics, are encouraged to try the other modes, but can continue to play at this level if desired.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.