Asleep at the wheel

Boris_T_Roach

Hi all

Been a while since I played KSP, so I thought last night..late at night, was a good chance to launch my super big research geostationary base into orbit.

Srbs burned out fine, staged the outer 6 boosters at 65 000 m, all flying as planned (despite the station being designed to fly in 0.21's atmosphere), ok start the boost to the usual transfer orbit of 2 800 km by 10 so I can dump the core stage and launch locks without them adding to the cloud of debris around Kerbin and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Woke up 90 mins later with the core stage empty, the orbit showing 2 700km by -100 km and I'm just coming up on AP..

Boris

<<<<removing key impressions from his face :D

I fall asleep all the time. I was doing a ten min circularization rcs burn (ran out of fuel). Woke up with no rcs left and about 400km over my intended distance (finger still on the shift button).

Edited by hellblazer

Hi my name is Bruce and Mechjeb is a friend not cheating....

And that is the very reason why I use Mechjeb.

It is not that I can't be done manually but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Besides more time enjoying the view and playing with the Camera Tools Mod.

o_O

You people are weird. KSP makes me have trouble sleeping.

Ditto. The game engages my brain too much.

Still, the flesh is weak and flabby. I have dozed off taking a heavy lift SSTO to orbit on more than one occasion. A good sign that it's time to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Kerbal Alarm Clock for the long ion burns. Coffee for everything else.

How does KAC help for Ion burns? It can't cut throttle.

My worst is docking... I'll be about 100 meters out, get everything lined up nice and straight, then make a nice slow approach to the docking port... slowly... switch to IVA for a bit... slowly.... nice music playing... slowly.... slow.... sl... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

I can't tell you how many times I nodded off doing this, and how many times I woke up to find my ship already docked

Late last night I was testing out a new spaceplane design. I got it up to 30 km or so on jet engines, switched over to rocket engines... then I rest my eyes for just a few seconds, I promise and the next thing I know it's on the ground in pieces. Welp, time to go to bed!

My worst is docking... I'll be about 100 meters out, get everything lined up nice and straight, then make a nice slow approach to the docking port... slowly... switch to IVA for a bit... slowly.... nice music playing... slowly.... slow.... sl... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

I can't tell you how many times I nodded off doing this, and how many times I woke up to find my ship already docked

I use time warp at those points. Makes much "faster" docking.

This is why I use mechjeb.

Being able to set up a manuver, click a button , and not have to worry about time warp or over burning is nice. Especially when you use minimal sas and it takes a few minutes to turn your rocket around.

o_O

You people are weird. KSP makes me have trouble sleeping.

Same here. I'll be thinking of satellite and rocket designs while trying to fall asleep (I have trouble sleeping so thinking of things very specificly help my brain slow down and turn off, not to mention cuts the build time down a few minutes)

Edited by mrclucks

I did it again

I circularised the station's orbit safely, de-orbited the tug unit, then moved to launch the 2nd part of the station and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Currently its in solar orbit with no fuel and no hope of getting the crew back. ;.;

On the plus side I know I can reduce the number of fuel tanks and increase the payload on the next attempt :D

Boris

Gotta be careful with that, though. One lag spike at the wrong time, and you are watching your craft and station fall apart at 5x speed

Never experienced that. When you're 100 m apart there are very few lag spikes on my system. And you've still got to watch where you're going, since you always drift a bit. So warping, correcting, warping, correcting is often what I'm doing.

My problem is in complex, multi-phase or multi-launch missions. I get tired and stop thinking so clearly... Before I know it, I've got a hodge-podge of assets in orbit with redundancies, missing features, major incompatibilities, etc none of which can fulfill the original mission.

I also tend to revert a lot for no reason when tired... Example Mun mission:

1 - One Kerbal in orbiter, one in lander. Launch! ... Wait, no, I forgot lights. Revert!

2 - Added lights. Launch! ... Lander Kerbal might get lonely. Revert!

3 - One orbiter Kerbal, two lander. Launch! ... Orbiter Kerbal might get lonely too. Revert!

4 - Two Kerbals in orbiter, two in lander. Launch! ... Why not have all of them land? Revert!

5 - Three kerbal rover. Launch! ... Fly to Mun, misjudge landing due to fatigue, crash. Revert!

6 - Quit from space center and go to bed without launching.

7 - Wake up wondering why my Munar orbit space station has wheels and only holds 3 Kerbals...?

Gotta be careful with that, though. One lag spike at the wrong time, and you are watching your craft and station fall apart at 5x speed

Yeah, I did that once...... and the worst part is I was too surprised to get a good screenshot of the explosion.... :0.0:

Since then I prefer to go normal speed at the end of a docking.

I literally fall asleep playing career mode at the end of every work day. I once made a blog style thread showcasing my ridiculous antics while microsleeping from mission to mission and never finishing everything.

Check out that probe/lander/comsat thingie. I have no idea what's that supposed to do!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126010-My-Space-Program-is-in-utter-disarray

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.