Is Exceeding Limits Cheating?

Moesly_Armlis

Carrer Game and Exceeding Vessele Limts  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Carrer Game and Exceeding Vessele Limts

• Yes. Great idea to open up boring grindy career.
    • No. Limits are set for a reason and game balancing.
    • Do what you like it is just a game.

Maxing out building upgrade costs makes them effectively unobtainable, forcing the player to make do with the tier one buildings for the duration.

If I understand the OP correctly, this "cheat" involves unlocking a whole load of tech, such as docking ports, undercarriage and airplane parts. Gathering enough science to unlock all of that stuff on hardcore custom difficulty takes a long time. In fact, I'm not sure if this is doable without upgrading at least some of the buildings to undertake the more complex missions required.

The caveman challenge inspired this notion of exceeding the limits and making do with no facility upgraded and illustrates that even on hard settings the science can be found.

In-orbit assembly is definitely not cheating; NASA was considering that as one of the alternatives for the Apollo program. The people who brought up the point that the launchpad is only rated for 18t at tier 1 (0?) have a point though.. it really should be collapsing if more weight is put on it...and soft-launching a many-ton rocket in the field is probably not the most realistic scenario...

I agree the soft soil launches would be unrealistic so I am now trying it from on top a mountain.

Is that less realistic or something that

demands?

Edited by MoeslyArmlis
Globex Co is hiring

I consider making a thread about what's cheating is cheating and making a thread about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating. Conversely, not making a thread about not what's cheating is cheating is indeed cheating, as is implying a cheating thread about cheating is about cheating is cheating. Furthermore, making a post about what's cheating is cheating is also cheating is cheating, which is cheating. The way this can be prevented is by subtracting the amount of cheating from the amount of cheats and multiplying it by the "cheating about cheating is cheating" value and adjusting the "is cheating cheaters in cheats cheating also cheating cheaters cheating?" cheating level by that amount, but this might be cheating.

Not empty quoting

Not cheating in the slightest. Using tools given and following the stock rules. Accomplishing this with no saves no reverts is even more impressive. I think MJ is more cheating then this is.

If you CAN launch smaller rockets, assemble them into rocketron, er, larger rocket off the launchpad and then successfully launch that abomination, then you are a brilliant engineer.

Do you know what defines an engineer?

An ability to figure out and work around limitations.

I take it the topic starter doesn't own a dictionary.

I'm pretty sure the definitions of 'cheat' and 'cheating' are in there.

But if you want an opinion: Yes it is. You are cheating yourself by not adhering to the game boundries in career. (You may as well just be in sandbox)

Does anyone care: No.

But if you want an opinion: Yes it is. You are cheating yourself by not adhering to the game boundries in career. (You may as well just be in sandbox)

Does anyone care: No.

People don't seem to grasp this subtle distinction 'round these parts. :/

So, you are not going over 30 parts per craft and also not putting more than 18T on the launchpad?

How could that be cheating?

I agree though, if you go over 18T on the pad itself then it should explode and you would have to build a new one. That seems like an exploit.

A general answer to all those "Is X cheating?" questions:

The fact that you asked the question strongly implies that a part of you considers X cheating. Therefore, by definition, X is cheating when you do it. It might not be cheating for other people, who don't feel the need to ask the question or to justify their behavior upon hearing the question.

The caveman challenge inspired this notion of exceeding the limits and making do with no facility upgraded and illustrates that even on hard settings the science can be found.

I didn't understand that this thread was about the Caveman Challenge. I though it was about playing on extremely hard custom difficulty settings.

Having read the rules for the challenge, I would agree that the "Voltron" assembly method is within the spirit of the challenge rules and is therefore not cheating. If there is any uncertainty, a question should be raised in the challenge thread. The Caveman Challenge is played on default difficulty settings, which means that science and money are very easy to come by, so unlocking the required parts for "Voltron" assembly should be readily achievable.

Games played on hardcore custom difficulty settings seek to delay player progress by lowering the rate at which resources are earned and raising the upgrade cost of buildings. This means that players have to progress further into the solar system before unlocking parts and building upgrades that would otherwise be available much earlier in the game. "Voltron" assembly would make little sense in such a game, since there would be no easily achievable way to unlock the required parts.

The key to playing on hardcore custom difficulty is to tweak the settings to set the desired challenge and rate of game progress.

A general answer to all those "Is X cheating?" questions:

The fact that you asked the question strongly implies that a part of you considers X cheating. Therefore, by definition, X is cheating when you do it. It might not be cheating for other people, who don't feel the need to ask the question or to justify their behavior upon hearing the question.

I chose number three in the poll. The gamecode is set up to allow this behavior; wheels do not break or sink into the ground when heavily loaded, docking ports juniors are ridiculously strong.

I didn't understand that this thread was about the Caveman Challenge. I though it was about playing on extremely hard custom difficulty settings.

Games played on hardcore custom difficulty settings seek to delay player progress by lowering the rate at which resources are earned and raising the upgrade cost of buildings. This means that players have to progress further into the solar system before unlocking parts and building upgrades that would otherwise be available much earlier in the game.

The key to playing on hardcore custom difficulty is to tweak the settings to set the desired challenge and rate of game progress.

To be clear this thread is about playing the game in career mode.

I usually play a career on the extreme hard settings for the simple reason that any other setting seems like I am still in a sandbox. Even in a E.H. career landing on Minmus or Mun is attainable without upgrading. From my exploits there is not that many paths to choose from. After the quest for science the quest for funds becomes the focus. Repeating the same contract (science from space, then surveys, then planting flags) over and over until the facilities are upgraded.

The alternative choices for completing quests in other games such as Fallout and Civilization allow replay-ability. This type of vessel construction opens up an alternate path. The player now has a choice: upgrade facility with funds or micro manage the operations of vessel construction.

To put this in another light. What is more entertaining? Watching someone grind funds endlessly or watching someone break the limits and construct vessels.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this somewhat serious poll.

I like to think that the launchpad weight limits are caused by the system that transfers the rocket, and not by the launch pad itself.

So no, it isn't cheating.

I think using cheats/Save file editing is cheating, but don't care at all if other players do it.

Edited by Joonatan1998

You only hurt yourself in a single player game. So cheating is up to you as no one else cares about what you do.

Me, I wanted to upgrade the VAB but didn't have enough funds. I edited my save game file and gave myself 1,000,000 more funds. Was it cheating? no, because I don't care about what anyone else thinks about what I do in my game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.