[1.11.2] Standard Propulsion Systems - v1.0.6 (4/20/2021)

This parts pack is intended to provide a more standardized and cohesive alternative to the stock parts while still maintaining a compatible appearance. In essence, a stockalike launcher pack.

Download v_1.0.6 (on Spacedock)

Current Features:

• Complete set of fuel tanks ranging from .625m to 5m (includes 1.875m).
  • Complete set of fuel tank adapters.
  • complete set of Soyuz style streamlined fuel tanks.
  • Complete set of RCS thruster blocks, nearly every conceivable configuration.
  • Interstage adapters and stack splitters with fairings.
  • Low memory use: all 36 fuel tanks share just two textures!

Planned Features: Development has been suspended indefinitely

• Engines, so many engines.
  • Monopropellant tanks and engines.
  • Aero engines.
  • Standardized crew pods.
  • Landing legs.
  • Utility parts.
  • Suggestions are welcome!

Known Problems:

• Terrible textures.  Now 20% less terrible!  Now 50% more outdated!
  • Interstage adapter nodes don't play nice with certain parts. Cause unknown, enabling part clipping helps in some cases. Removed pending bugfixes. 

Licensing:

This modification is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share-Alike 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), the full text of which can be found here.

Integration:

• Interstellar fuel switch integration is planned, tanks and engines will be compatible with CRP LqdHydrogen
  • westamastaflash has created a RealFuels patch, find it here!

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

Curious that not more people have reacted so far on this new mod. It really fills a nieche in my opinion. It's really nice work, Starbuckministerfullerton!

I absolutely love the choice this mod offers in the RCS departement. I've always thought there should be more types of RCS thrusterblocks stockwise.

As you've welcomed suggestions, i would like to suggest to concentrate first on sepatrons. A lot of modders start by create fueltanks, engines and pods. Like RCS thrusterblocks, sepatrons usually are ignored although those are used on a lot of boosterstages.

Looks great! I'm gonna download now. Suggestion - maybe add a three-way rcs with one nozzle in z axis and one two in x. Like this -'- so it can work in pairs - with two rings of four on the vessel. Sorry my text is a bit muddled

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

As you've welcomed suggestions, i would like to suggest to concentrate first on sepatrons.

I do have some sepratron plans, maybe I'll bump them up on the todo list.

Suggestion - maybe add a three-way rcs with one nozzle in z axis and one two in x. Like this -'-
The only one I miss is a 3-port 45 degrees one
I also miss the RSC thruster looking just like stock one, but with one thruster removed, so that it can "blow" down, left, right, but not up.

Seems like there's some demand for three way thruster blocks, consider it done.

Hello Starbuckminsterfullerton,

i like your RCS Thruster and wish I had more.

Excellent working and extremely functional. Good would be even more aerodynamically clad RCS Thrusters and lightweight thruster without disguise.

Engines, only if they have low polygon count and out of the nozzle have a nice trim.

Tanks ... hmm ... there are so many and I personally prefer in the moment Procedural parts.

Nice job man and those RCS thrusters are really filling a nice niche. I too also cast a vote in there for the 3-way blocks and have one other suggestion. I know you're trying to give a standardized set of parts but would you consider giving variations on the atmosphere curves for the different RCS pieces? Having some being more or less efficient than others is nice and still allows the thrusters to fill their niche by offering the variety. For instance you could make people choose between slower/more precision with efficiency or faster/more power with less efficiency. Just an idea..

Keep up the good work!

Always nice to see more RCS thruster options.

However, a slight criticism.

All 4-way 45-degree thruster blocks should have one nozzle prograde/retrograde, and two nozzles for the other two directions.

Additionally, All 5-way RCS blocks should have twice as many nozzles pointing "out" as pointing up/down/left/right.

Here's a couple diagrams to illustrate what I'm trying to describe:

KEY:

> thrusts to the left

< thrusts to the right

| thrusts upwards

^ thrusts downwards

4-way 45-degree thruster block nozzle diagram:

|
> <
> <
^

5-way thruster block diagram:

|
>O O<
^

This is already in place on a few of the 5-way thruster blocks in this pack, but more like them (and a few 45-degree ones) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

I know you're trying to give a standardized set of parts but would you consider giving variations on the atmosphere curves for the different RCS pieces?

That would definitely fit within the standardized set, no problems there. The difficulty comes with finding something to balance them against, there are very few mods out there that don't use the same ISP curve as stock. I'm thinking about making a probe-sized thruster set, I might give them a different curve.

All 4-way 45-degree thruster blocks should have one nozzle prograde/retrograde, and two nozzles for the other two directions.

Additionally, All 5-way RCS blocks should have twice as many nozzles pointing "out" as pointing up/down/left/right.

Agreed on the 5-way blocks, having doubled normal thrusters allows a pair of blocks full translation control, and as you saw all but one are indeed set up that way. I only kept the R5R1 because most packs have one of those. Not as sure about the extra angled thrusters, while the traditional layout does have only half as many lateral thrusters as pro/retro, it's a convention most mods stick with and doesn't have any imbalances like the 5-way ones otherwise would.

A thought for fuel tanks. What about having separate liquid fuel and oxidizer tanks? That way the liquid fuel tanks can double as jet fuselage and interplanetary nuke tanks and the oxidizer tanks would open the door to hybrid rocket motors. Also having separate tanks that are drained from evenly improves mass distribution helping mitigate rockets tendency to flip.

The RCS set is just wonderful, and I do like the fuel tanks - they are just better than stock ones for my taste.

I know that 1.875 isn't a standard size, and from screenshot I can't see it.

But can you at least consider adding it? Maybe as additional download

The RCS set is just wonderful, and I do like the fuel tanks - they are just better than stock ones for my taste.

I second that!

Alright, quick update, I modeled the two 3-way RCS blocks, (wasn't hard, just pulled a nozzle off the 4-ways), so I'll drag those through Unity next chance I get and they'll be in the next version.

A thought for fuel tanks. What about having separate liquid fuel and oxidizer tanks? That way the liquid fuel tanks can double as jet fuselage and interplanetary nuke tanks and the oxidizer tanks would open the door to hybrid rocket motors.

I plan on adding small single-content radial tanks like KSPX had many moons ago. For the larger tanks, instead of separate parts I'm working on Interstellar Fuel Switch integration. More on that later, I'm excited about it!

Please, make it CKAN'ble

I'll be honest, I've been playing modded installs since .18, and I still don't really know what CKAN is. I did check the CKAN box on Kerbalstuff, but evidently that doesn't do it. If you can help figure out what else needs to be done I'll gladly get it on there.

Thanks, that's why I made them!

I actually already modeled and textured the 1.875m set, I'm a big fan of OrionKermin's HGR parts and I think the jump from 1.25 to 2.5 is too big anyway, they just didn't make it into the initial release because the adapters weren't done so they wouldn't fit anything.

I actually already modeled and textured the 1.875m set, I'm a big fan of OrionKermin's HGR parts and I think the jump from 1.25 to 2.5 is too big anyway, they just didn't make it into the initial release because the adapters weren't done so they wouldn't fit anything.

I was going to suggest that myself. Definitely keeping my eye on this one, I've got a good feeling about it.

That would definitely fit within the standardized set, no problems there. The difficulty comes with finding something to balance them against, there are very few mods out there that don't use the same ISP curve as stock. I'm thinking about making a probe-sized thruster set, I might give them a different curve.

Outstanding, can't wait to see what you put together since it would really be nice to have numerous choices for RCS pieces. A few of the mods I can remember that have RCS with non-stock curves:

Bahamuto Dyanamics Parts Pack

Modular Rocket Systems

Ven's Stock Revamp (1 or 2 of them iirc)

and I think NovaPunch also has a few but not sure about this one

Hope those help out some...

Hope those help out some...

This helps me lots; none of those are mods I use very regularly, so I wouldn't have noticed the different curves. Thanks for pointing them out. It might be a little bit before I come back around to another RCS set, I want to get some of the other parts done first, but I'll use those for reference when I do.

Quick question: the mod is currently hosted by Kerbalstuff, and it's great so that will continue to be the primary source, but would it be worth uploading to Curse as well?

• 4 weeks later...

Update: v0.1.2

Added 1.875m fuel tank set

Added fuel tank adapter set

Added R3 & R3A2 thruster blocks

Sorry it's been awhile between updates, I've been busy. I think I got in most of the requested features, next up: structural adapters!

Balance feedback on the adapters would be appreciated, 1.875's will be rebalanced too sometime but I already have a plan for that.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

Man, you really should play up the unique aspects of this parts pack. It isn't just a drop-in texture replacement.

I see two unique parts, things I haven't seen elsewhere but always wanted.

(1) The 3-way RCS block. I hate using 4-way thrusters at corners because that means firing alongside a hull, potentially towards other things. It doesn't matter for gameplay, but it just looks horrible.

(2) The 1-way 90* RCS block. Plenty of parts mods have surface-mounted single RCS thrusters, but I haven't seen one that is perpendicular to the surface.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.