[1.11.2] Standard Propulsion Systems - v1.0.6 (4/20/2021)

This mod is awesome. I have one bug that I've encountered in the hour or two I've played with it, it seems as though the interstage adapters either have their engine nodes off-center or their centers-of-mass off-center because whenever I use them my rockets instantly become harder to control. Any chance this could be looked into? Thanks!

15 hours ago, OneShot17 said:

I have one bug that I've encountered

Thanks, I'll check it out, in the meantime any additional information you can give me would be a great help. Are there any adapters in particular that do this or is it all of them? Where are they in the rocket, as an undeployed upper stage or as the active stage? 

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

1 minute ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Thanks! I'll check it out, in the meantime any additional information you can give me would be a great help. Are there any adapters in particular that do this or is it all of them? Where are they in the rocket, as an undeployed upper stage or as the active stage? 

AFAIK it's all of them, though I have not had occasion to test it. The rocket I used had a 5m to lots of 1.25m and one 2.5m active, and a 5m to five (I think) 1.25m. The reason I think the nodes and/or CoM are off-center is because when sitting on the launch pad, with SAS off, Kerbal Engineer tells me there's a 0.1° thrust offset, when it's always 0° for single rockets. Thanks!

Great mod.

only thing I missing is a 4-way thruster with up / left / right / forward. Basicly a 5-way with the bottom one cut off.. Guess a version with up / up / left / right /2x forward would be nice.

v                 v

>o<            >oo<

Have you compared your .625 with the OscarB?

I use this small tank a lot and often a stack of five or so on each side of a 1.25 payload.

I figured a longer tank would be easier to refuel at stations but although yours are big enough, they don't hold anywhere near as much fuel for the volume. Volume for volume, I'd expect more fuel not less.

The streamlined one looked like it might be a nice tank for my small ships but they hardly hold anything. OscarB beats the snot out of that one too.

Just as my heart was breaking, I checked 1.25 tanks too and it seems to run through the series.

I have to go to my happy place now.

On 10/14/2016 at 4:11 PM, OneShot17 said:

AFAIK it's all of them, though I have not had occasion to test it. The rocket I used had a 5m to lots of 1.25m and one 2.5m active, and a 5m to five (I think) 1.25m. The reason I think the nodes and/or CoM are off-center is because when sitting on the launch pad, with SAS off, Kerbal Engineer tells me there's a 0.1° thrust offset, when it's always 0° for single rockets. Thanks!

I'm having trouble replicating this, mostly cause I can't get KER to run, but I can verify that both the nodes and CoM's are right, and any test rockets flew true with no control input. It might be an aerodynamics thing, in which case I'll have to do some reading before I can fix it. 

On 10/15/2016 at 4:42 PM, DGatsby said:

This is a great mod! I'm very excited to use it. 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Have you compared your .625 with the OscarB?

I use this small tank a lot and often a stack of five or so on each side of a 1.25 payload.

I figured a longer tank would be easier to refuel at stations but although yours are big enough, they don't hold anywhere near as much fuel for the volume. Volume for volume, I'd expect more fuel not less.

The streamlined one looked like it might be a nice tank for my small ships but they hardly hold anything. OscarB beats the snot out of that one too.

Just as my heart was breaking, I checked 1.25 tanks too and it seems to run through the series.

I have to go to my happy place now.

Fuel tank values were based off of the KW values for the same size tank, since these tanks use the same sizing paradigm.  KW does not have any .625 parts so the capacities were extrapolated from the same trend the larger tanks follow.  Since these are rocket parts, they were balanced based on mass not volume, where you may notice these actually have an advantage - an SPS tank of equivalent mass to an Oscar B would hold 2.4 more units of fuel.  Streamlined tank capacities are based on the proportion between the volumes of a cone and cylinder of equivalent height and base diameter, they will be revisited in the future but geometrically the balance is accurate. 

On 10/19/2016 at 4:14 AM, Prime flux said:

Great mod.

only thing I missing is a 4-way thruster with up / left / right / forward. Basicly a 5-way with the bottom one cut off.. Guess a version with up / up / left / right /2x forward would be nice.

Easy enough, consider it done!

12 hours ago, Quodios Kerman said:

I think advanced tweakables - especially autostruts and rigid attachment options have trouble... Needs compatiability check for this.

Forgot to check this, what specifically goes wrong when you use those?

1 hour ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Fuel tank values were based off of the KW values for the same size tank, since these tanks use the same sizing paradigm.  KW does not have any .625 parts so the capacities were extrapolated from the same trend the larger tanks follow.  Since these are rocket parts, they were balanced based on mass not volume, where you may notice these actually have an advantage - an SPS tank of equivalent mass to an Oscar B would hold 2.4 more units of fuel.  Streamlined tank capacities are based on the proportion between the volumes of a cone and cylinder of equivalent height and base diameter, they will be revisited in the future but geometrically the balance is accurate. 

I generally don't use part mods as squad don't entertain errors with alien parts.

I am prepared to make an exception in this case as this fills a niche of interest to me.
As the main focus of this pack for me, is the .625 range, I will just have to look at it again after you have revisited.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 4:08 PM, Kolago said:

@Starbuckminsterfullerton: I think the bottom middle node of "B-1A3AA Interstage Adapter" is facing upside down. Please check.

Thanks for letting me know, I've been too busy over the holidays to get anything done on the mod, but this is the first thing I'll check when I get back to work.

• 4 years later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Does this work with current KSP?  I saw the previous message about the "bottom middle node of "B-1A3AA Interstage Adapter", has it been fixed?

Do you think you could update it with a .version file?

SPS only uses the stock part modules under the hood, so it should remain compatible with both KSP and other mods basically indefinitely. I can definitely update the version file so the warning goes away.  

I honestly don't remember if the adapter got fixed, that may be something I can change in the config but I don't have a computer that can run KSP right now so I can't really test it out.  The adapters are honestly kinda outdated now, this mod was created the era before stock fairings.  These are much simpler and less resource intensive, but also kinda clunky since most engines have radial attach alt-models now. 

This mod was originally intended to be a KW/Vens like replacement for all the vanilla parts in standard sizes that made more sense, with some clever features thrown in.  The KSP art style got a major update before I finished modeling all the engines, and the Stockalike texture quality moved beyond what I know how to make in GIMP/paint, so development has been postponed indefinitely.  ReStock(+) currently fills this role much more effectively, in addition to matching all my other favorite mods (shoutout to @Nertea). 

I didn't think anyone was using this anymore, including me, but let me know what's broken or if you can help test and I'll do what I can.  If anyone would like to include parts of this mod with theirs I can also help with that.

@linuxgurugamer could you test run this mod with a current version of KSP (and any other mods you want to run)? 

I can definitely update the version file so the warning goes away

There actually isn't a .version file at all, from what I can see.  I found out about this from someone else who was using it.  He was actually using it for the RCS, he liked them a lot.

I just tested them all.  The center bottom node is reversed on the following parts:

• B-1A3AA
  • B-1A5AA
  • D-1B6A

You have an interesting group of parts here.  Maybe consider breaking it into three sub-mods:

• Control aka RCS
  • Fuel aka tanks
  • Structural aka interstage & adapters

32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There actually isn't a .version file at all, from what I can see.

You have an interesting group of parts here.  Maybe consider breaking it into three sub-mods:

You know, the last version of this mod may actually predate the existence of .version files... I'll see what I can do, I might be able to just fix it through spacedock real quick.

I can change up the compressed file structure to make it a little more á la carte, but I don't think I'll publish separate mods. It's super easy to just delete the folders for fuel or structural, and even with everything installed this mod is super-performance friendly since all the parts share just 5 textures. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update v1.0.6

Added a versioning file for CKAN compatibility

RCS-only edition;

Structural parts removed pending bugfixes, and the existence of fairings/radial attach main engines.

Fuel tanks have been removed to reduce menu clutter since better options are now available.

PLEASE TEST AND REPORT ISSUES

I am unable to run KSP on my terrible laptop, so while none of these changes should break anything I am relying on you to report any problems. ;)

Hi, welcome back and congrats on the release!

Added a versioning file for CKAN compatibility

PLEASE TEST AND REPORT AND ISSUES

The version file has a syntax error that is preventing CKAN from making use of it. It's supposed to be in JSON format, but it uses "smart quotes" like from Microsoft Word for the value of the NAME field, and JSON only allows normal standard regular ASCII quotes:

115477598-e37da600-a209-11eb-8309-8bc03e

2 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Thanks and good catch! There were a couple more in there, and you also inadvertently showed me that the "URL" reference field I set up just today is somehow missing (should be between "NAME" and "DOWNLOAD"). Fixed and fixed.

Cool, the new file looks good and satisfies the CKAN bot.

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.