[1.0.4] Contract Pack: Maritime Missions and Boat Navigation Plugin [V1.3.2] 14/09/2015

Whitecat106

Hello everyone,

I have released the next update (1.3.0) this now includes a spawning system to spawn vessels from the SPH directly to sea based locations around Kerbin. This also includes some fixes, more courses and code improvements.

The next update will focus on building upon this new system and contracts, along with optimization of the code (less FPS drops).

Enjoy :)

Great! The Firespitter / Boat Parts sea launch system was rather hairy...

I know exactly what you mean! Sadly right now this system is no better.. I am currently fixing a big bug in the code at the moment (you might have noticed.. it occurs when you launch the vessel at a point far enough away from the KSC, something to do with the camera position being forced to an unknown point causing Kraken attacks (don't worry no save breaking issues, just a general crash)) I am fixing this for a 1.3.1 now!

Okay I have released the 1.3.1 this temporarily removes all launch sites EXCEPT the KSC Shore, I will include the other sites in the next release when I find a fix to this issue!

EDIT 17:12

I am working on a fix, having to change somethings around and borrow some code from my Orbital Decay mod (Something I did not want to do since this will most likely break with KSP 1.1). I have had to remove the 1.3.1 version too since this was also causing Kraken issues so its back to 1.2.0 until I can rewrite this.

Edited by Whitecat106

Okay everyone, the system is fixed for now in my latest 1.3.2 version! The only available launch site is the KSC shore line however, I will try and fix issues preventing more ports from being added for 1.4.0 but for now everything is fixed! Sorry for all the trouble!

hmm, I've got a blank where the navigation is supposed to be...

so far I've redownloaded the mod, installed it into an unmodded ksp install

right now I'm redownloading ksp to see if that helps.

edit: found it,

[WRN 12:21:41.841] File 'C:/1.0.4/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../GameData/WhitecatIndustries/BoatNavigation/VesselData.cfg' does not exist

[EXC 12:21:41.844] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.CheckNavigating (.Vessel vessel)

WhitecatIndustries.UserInterface.NavigationTab ()

WhitecatIndustries.UserInterface.OnWindow (Int32 windowID)

UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)

UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

moving your mods into a new folder titled WhitecatIndustries fixed it

amazing mod

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been away! First week of university so my rapidly changing sobriety would effect any updates or replies.. Sadly I have no laptop at the moment so work is suspended for a few weeks until I can get back on track, any issues with the vesselData can be fixed by just typing any letter into the vesseldata.cfg file (this can be done whilst playing) and saving the file. (It's an irritating ksp config node thing)

As for the sea launch, at the moment you have to press both buttons in the sph ui otherwise nothing will happen, (select port and launch at sea) this is for the inclusion of more ports once I can fix some bizzare rotation issues. Everything should work, if however this still isn't fixed I would just download another version and overwrite all the files - an entry for the port may have been erased!

Hopefully I can get some more stuff out soon and some compatibility with the upcoming new parts from Fengist!

Whitecat106

Hey there

I noticed these lines repeating a lot in my player.log file lately

Error: Empty part config file

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.LoadData (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

Any idea what's up?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Things have started to settle down now... a tad... So that means I can release a new 1.4.0 update soon! This will include:

- New and enhanced contracts:

* Submarine missions with Fengists upcoming new parts

* Sea based speed and size record contracts

* Updates to all exisitng contracts with new parameters and ships

* Inclusion of more carrier based missions (Nautilus 4 - 10) with accompianing storyline

- Multiple sea launch sites (As soon as the pesky issue here is resolved)

- Fixes for VesselData.cfg lag issues

- Optimisation (Switch to Dictionary loading and storage rather than ConfigNode retrieval)

- UI fixes and beautification!

Not all of these may be included in the next release, and my alchohol consumption may even limit the scope of coherant contracts but I shall release a new version soon! However much will depend upon the release of Fengists new parts!

P.s I apologise again but I cannot reply to PM's currently due to the KSP forum message system not loading on my phone correctly! :)

Whitecat106

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone ! How's it going.

I have few questions and I don't mind making the changes myself if I have to but I've been at this for hours upon hours on end so finally I decided to come here and ask for help.

1) Boat Navigation plugin. I noticed a few replies above someone fixed it by creating a directory (WhitecatIndustries) and placing the plugin in. This resolves the white box issue as obviously now the script knows where to find the info. So that resolved that. However:

- Does the boat navigation plugin know to avoid land on its own ? The longitude seems off. I noticed one of the author's threads in the plugin help section a while ago noticing that factor, and although they say it's just a different way of representing the longi the ship heads on a completely different heading when you autopilot.

- How exactly do you use the boat navigation feature ? Do you switch to space center before it picks up speed and warp ?

- Is there another way to input coordinates ?

2) Maritime pack buoy mission.

- How do you know you've entered an area ? I use SCAN to narrow it down as close as I can but even though I deploy a buoy and the contract notices a buoy is deployed, it doesn't acknowledge it's in the right area.

- The buoy mission in the south peninsula states to drop 4 buoys on sites A B C D but only A is visible. Looking at your cfg files I notice B C D are just random waypoints minimum 100 m away. Does that mean I can dump them anywhere so long as it's 100m away but within 10 km?

- I attach the buoys on the deck of my ship and eject them with decouplers like depth charges into the water, then I travel 150m and drop another. Contract noticed all 4 buoys deployed but not in their respective areas. Am I doing this right ?

3) Sea Deployment

I clicked on SET PORT then SET SEA LAUNCH in the VAB. Then I click on red LAUNCH button on the top right (stock button) and it still launches me on the runway although it says launching in KSC shore. Am I doing something wrong ?

Let me know please because I stream and it's bloody embarrassing :( I'm willing to make whatever modifications necessary and publish it for you if you don't have time.

Amazing work though, I see how tedious this .... is, when it's complete one day this is going to be one hell of an addition already it's so fun.

Hi everyone ! How's it going.

I have few questions and I don't mind making the changes myself if I have to but I've been at this for hours upon hours on end so finally I decided to come here and ask for help.

1) Boat Navigation plugin. I noticed a few replies above someone fixed it by creating a directory (WhitecatIndustries) and placing the plugin in. This resolves the white box issue as obviously now the script knows where to find the info. So that resolved that. However:

- Does the boat navigation plugin know to avoid land on its own ? The longitude seems off. I noticed one of the author's threads in the plugin help section a while ago noticing that factor, and although they say it's just a different way of representing the longi the ship heads on a completely different heading when you autopilot.

- How exactly do you use the boat navigation feature ? Do you switch to space center before it picks up speed and warp ?

- Is there another way to input coordinates ?

2) Maritime pack buoy mission.

- How do you know you've entered an area ? I use SCAN to narrow it down as close as I can but even though I deploy a buoy and the contract notices a buoy is deployed, it doesn't acknowledge it's in the right area.

- The buoy mission in the south peninsula states to drop 4 buoys on sites A B C D but only A is visible. Looking at your cfg files I notice B C D are just random waypoints minimum 100 m away. Does that mean I can dump them anywhere so long as it's 100m away but within 10 km?

- I attach the buoys on the deck of my ship and eject them with decouplers like depth charges into the water, then I travel 150m and drop another. Contract noticed all 4 buoys deployed but not in their respective areas. Am I doing this right ?

3) Sea Deployment

I clicked on SET PORT then SET SEA LAUNCH in the VAB. Then I click on red LAUNCH button on the top right (stock button) and it still launches me on the runway although it says launching in KSC shore. Am I doing something wrong ?

Let me know please because I stream and it's bloody embarrassing :( I'm willing to make whatever modifications necessary and publish it for you if you don't have time.

Amazing work though, I see how tedious this .... is, when it's complete one day this is going to be one hell of an addition already it's so fun.

Hello there,

Okay 1) The plugin directory issues will be fixed for the next update along with some general tweaks for 1.0.5 compatibility. (I'm a Uni student, give me time! :D).

- I will be writing a short guide on how to use the feature since I realise it is currently a tad un-intuitive. Basically the auto pilot is only configured at the moment to work in the background, in the foreground (active) the ship with only be directed to a heading along the lines of the bearing of the destination -(not good!).

To use the autopilot feature:

Open the Navigation Menu, move to the Destination Tab, Input a longitude and a latitude and a max speed (use your vessels top speed - working on a fix for the next update), Select Save Information, now switch to the navigation tab and select Enable Auto Navigation. Now switch to the tracking station and timewarp to see the vessel move to its destination. - Working in 1.0.5

*NOTE YOU MUST SAVE YOUR VESSEL IN THE SPH BEFORE LAUNCHING TO USE ANY FEATURE OF THIS MOD* - Its a technical annoying thing :(

Instead of putting in coordinates you can actually select a destination from the Library Tab, however you must then also add the speed into the Destination tab and save this to ensure the vessel actually moves across the surface. - This is actually broken since 1.0.3/4/5 so I shall fix this, as with the Sea Launch System.

2) Buoy missions need checking in general, a waypoint should appear after you have visited the first waypoint, so this is an issue, I will also add indications for entering the target area. As for the depth charge launcher Idea... I love it! But I will make sure this one gets fixed ASAP.

3) The sea launch system has broken somehow since 1.0.3 (my testing save was an older version of KSP - silly whitecat!), this will be fixed, I apologise for this one, theres me thinking everything is fine... because Im still using v1.0.0)!

Sorry for the trouble! I will update as soon as I get a day or two off! This will be finished and working for KSP 1.1 I promise everyone!

-- So to summarise, I shall fix the issues asap, from what I can see the issues are:

- Vessels are unable to be copied (.craft files) and thus cannot be spawned in place by the sea launch system throwing an exception. (Possibly a directory issue) - Easy

- Menus are difficult to understand - Easy

- Logos are still ugly - Easy

- Directory issues messing everything up - Easy

- Sea Launch System stuck with only KSC shore, an issue caused by spawn rotations - Difficult

- Sea Bouy Contract issues - Easy

- Annoying vessel must be saved issue that I have just realised - Ehh tricky..

I am currently in the process of setting up a new laptop and testing setup for KSP and moving my old work across so bear with me, I hope I can get this all sorted out and add some new content asap! As of right now, this mod is compatible with 1.0.5 at your own risk. If you do want to use the mod, add a new folder called WhitecatIndustries in your game data and move the 'BoatNavigation' folder into it. - Sorry about this one!

Edited by Whitecat106

Hello there,

Okay 1) The plugin directory issues will be fixed for the next update along with some general tweaks for 1.0.5 compatibility. (I'm a Uni student, give me time! :D).

- I will be writing a short guide on how to use the feature since I realise it is currently a tad un-intuitive. Basically the auto pilot is only configured at the moment to work in the background, in the foreground (active) the ship with only be directed to a heading along the lines of the bearing of the destination -(not good!).

To use the autopilot feature:

Open the Navigation Menu, move to the Destination Tab, Input a longitude and a latitude and a max speed (use your vessels top speed - working on a fix for the next update), Select Save Information, now switch to the navigation tab and select Enable Auto Navigation. Now switch to the tracking station and timewarp to see the vessel move to its destination. - Working in 1.0.5

*NOTE YOU MUST SAVE YOUR VESSEL IN THE SPH BEFORE LAUNCHING TO USE ANY FEATURE OF THIS MOD* - Its a technical annoying thing :(

Instead of putting in coordinates you can actually select a destination from the Library Tab, however you must then also add the speed into the Destination tab and save this to ensure the vessel actually moves across the surface. - This is actually broken since 1.0.3/4/5 so I shall fix this, as with the Sea Launch System.

2) Buoy missions need checking in general, a waypoint should appear after you have visited the first waypoint, so this is an issue, I will also add indications for entering the target area. As for the depth charge launcher Idea... I love it! But I will make sure this one gets fixed ASAP.

3) The sea launch system has broken somehow since 1.0.3 (my testing save was an older version of KSP - silly whitecat!), this will be fixed, I apologise for this one, theres me thinking everything is fine... because Im still using v1.0.0)!

Sorry for the trouble! I will update as soon as I get a day or two off! This will be finished and working for KSP 1.1 I promise everyone!

-- So to summarise, I shall fix the issues asap, from what I can see the issues are:

- Vessels are unable to be copied (.craft files) and thus cannot be spawned in place by the sea launch system throwing an exception. (Possibly a directory issue) - Easy

- Menus are difficult to understand - Easy

- Logos are still ugly - Easy

- Directory issues messing everything up - Easy

- Sea Launch System stuck with only KSC shore, an issue caused by spawn rotations - Difficult

- Sea Bouy Contract issues - Easy

- Annoying vessel must be saved issue that I have just realised - Ehh tricky..

I am currently in the process of setting up a new laptop and testing setup for KSP and moving my old work across so bear with me, I hope I can get this all sorted out and add some new content asap! As of right now, this mod is compatible with 1.0.5 at your own risk. If you do want to use the mod, add a new folder called WhitecatIndustries in your game data and move the 'BoatNavigation' folder into it. - Sorry about this one!

Ok first of all you are apologizing WAY too much :P You're doing US the favor my friend :) So thank you ever so much for continuing to tackle these issues and again if you want help ask I love scripting I just haven't gotten an excuse to get into kerbal modding yet.

Is the Maritime/Submarine pack going 1.0.5 though ? Last I heard the author wasn't sure anymore :(

Very interesting project. I have a fan request to develop a contract for KSC Coast Guard (in the SSI Aerospace contract pack) to chase down this sucker: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139605-Begun-the-Whale-Wars-have%21-Sea-Shepherd-MV-Ady-Gil-Posting-from-the-emergency-ward?p=2297143#post2297143

not sure how to spawn a moving vessel...

[quote name='inigma']Very interesting project. I have a fan request to develop a contract for KSC Coast Guard (in the SSI Aerospace contract pack) to chase down this sucker: [URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139605-Begun-the-Whale-Wars-have%21-Sea-Shepherd-MV-Ady-Gil-Posting-from-the-emergency-ward?p=2297143#post2297143[/URL]

not sure how to spawn a moving vessel...[/QUOTE]

Hehehe... I have this idea to spawn a vessel with the engines already activated and at moderate to full throttle, so we can have various stock boats wander about a target area so the location is not directly known until player craft enters the area. Or at least have a script that makes craft activate engines on proximity, so as to allow pursuit and shadowing scenarios ("locate smugging vessel SS Minnow and shadow for X minutes within Y range, whereupon you are given authority to disable and board" - basically a rescue contract involving a moving, non-compliant vessel)

It would also be fun to have WhiteCat's contract pack support stock parts and spawn various player-contributed sea and subsurface craft, considering we can actually make viable ships and submarines with stock parts now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How's development going with this pack? I'm looking forward to actually trying it out, finally.

I'd suggest having a look at RoverDude's new sub mod to replace Fengist's sub, as he has stopped modding KSP.

I'm also hoping we'll see some new civilian maritime parts from other sources.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Its been a very long time since the last update. Recently I have found some more time to work on the mod and with upcoming Boat Part packs for KSP 1.1 this plugin may see some light again!

I will shortly be releasing version 1.4.0 this will fix the current issues with Sea Launches and Background navigation. The contract pack is on hold until a viable (low part count) boat parts pack releases so I can make models for the various sea missions.

Version 1.5.0 will release with KSP 1.1 and will feature fixes to the UI and will make menus easier to use. I will also make a short tutorial on how to use the plugin for the next update.

In the meantime, 1.4.0 is in the works so watch this space for the next release of just the Navigation Plugin!

Whitecat106 :)

• 5 months later...

I never got a chance to use this mod before the link died. Did it work like AutoRove? (which is great btw)

With Fengist's return, I'm wondering if this mod's development will pick up again. I love the ideas behind it and I really hope it does. I need the background movement to make my launch stage recovery operation viable :). Thanks a bunch.

Edited by riskyjubles

• 8 months later...

Not sure if @Whitecat106 is still working on this. If not and he's still reading the forums I may be interested in picking this up. At least adding the plugin to Mairtime Pack. I'm not a big fan of dependancies and the contracts part requires another plugin.  But I'd still take a look at it.

2 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Not sure if @Whitecat106 is still working on this. If not and he's still reading the forums I may be interested in picking this up. At least adding the plugin to Mairtime Pack. I'm not a big fan of dependancies and the contracts part requires another plugin.  But I'd still take a look at it.

I have the nav plugin working, but lost interest.  Let me know if you want what I have

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have the nav plugin working, but lost interest.  Let me know if you want what I have

Well before I agree to do anything I want whitecat to give the ok, regardless of license. He's been an avid supporter of my work and I won't steal his thunder without permission

That being said, if I don't hear from him I may consider working on a similar navigation solution.  

Been getting the urge...slight urge mind you... to get back into modding.  Funny, can't seem to get these silly ship ideas put of my head.

1 minute ago, Fengist said:

Well before I agree to do anything I want whitecat to give the ok, regardless of license. He's been an avid supporter of my work and I won't steal his thunder without permission

That being said, if I don't hear from him I may consider working on a similar navigation solution.  

Been getting the urge...slight urge mind you... to get back into modding.  Funny, can't seem to get these silly ship ideas put of my head.

Of course.

Let me know.  I had it working in 1.2.2, but it had some bugs and I just had no desire to continue.  So if @Whitecat106 says ok, I can send you what I have (probably via github), or, if @Whitecat106 wants it, I can send it to him

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.