I lose more Kerbals that way...

Vallius

Most deadly phase for your space missions?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Most deadly phase for your space missions?

• Launchpad/runway before ignition
    • Takeoff
    • Kerbin atmospheric ascent
    • Orbital Maneuvers
    • Docking/undocking
    • Extraterrestrial landing/takeoff
    • Reentry
    • Parachutes
    • Space plane landing
    • Other

Ever since we hit 1.0, it seems like my mission success rate has plummeted. Some things that weren't a big deal before are now deadly.

On average, what's the most deadly mission phase in your space program?

On average, what's the most deadly mission phase in your space program?

"I need to do this surface sample from the zone Alpha contract. Lander landed on the night side about 5 kilometeres off, so I'll just fly there with EVA pack. What mountain?! No-no-no-no-no!!! *puff*"

Also, unstable station launches and some of the landings, but not because of landing gear or something, but because "Delta wing collided with launchpad" a kilometer above KSC.

Edited by Kuu Lightwing

Without question re-entry and landing is where most of my failures occur. Between the overheating mechanic (which I like) and the aerodynamic stresses (which I don't like) coupled with new parachute and wing physics (which I'm still getting used to) make hitting the ground too hard a fairly regular event. But I'm not hardcore so I never actually kill Kerbals in my career game - I will always revert until I make it work (it is just a game after all). Most of my tragedies occur during testing anyway which in my cannon is just a simulated environment.

JR

The only reason I don't lose more kerbals to space-planes than reentry is because I don't try them very often. I didn't even think of EVA, but I can only put a max of 10 options on the list.

Humanity would go extinct if I was in charge of global avionics ... So spaceplane related stuff is in my case very unhealthy for Kerbals in general. However, the two deaths untill now in my current savegame had other causes: Valentina fell down a Munar mountain and Bob got BBQ'd in the atmosphere during reentry.

Technically, my greatest accident rate is "landing of strange experimental and/or unadvisable aircraft, whether planned or due to loss of control." But in serious play, it would have to be spaceplane (shuttle actually) re-entry, on account of aerodynamic breakup. Once I get decellerated, landings typically go fine.

Landings for me. Eventho' I've practised an ungodly amount of times, the rate of descent is far touchier after 1.0, and there is very little room for error. About 2 m/s too fast descent landing, and the landing gear fail. I suppose that is the case in real life as well.

Close to the ground is the most dangerous time, as that's when there's something to hit, so it's definitely spaceplane arrivals/departures. :D But cockpits/capsules tend to survive bad takeoffs, so bad landings is where I lose the most little green guys.

For me, my ship always becomes top-heavy in the atmosphere with all of the foldout solar panels and science modules.

The ship does a flip and I NEVER activate the parachute in time.

Also, when I accidentally downloaded 1.0 for the first time wrong, the physics caused any ship at more than 10% throttle to tear it apart.

It turns out I had 0.25, 0.90, and 1.0 together, causing all of the physics to ruin the game.

I fixed it.

As before, breakup on ascent.

Refining designs to workable takes a few tries. But it's less random than before, so there's less random RUD events, and more simple atmospheric instability.

FINE, I'll put a damn fairing on it to stop it flipping!

Selected 'Other'. Being I test all ships using probe cores before going manned, I lose most Kerbals (believe it or not) on rover missions ... usually from bad choices, like going too fast and flipping the rover, or using a mono-engine assist to climb a canyon/crater wall and ending up going airborne over the lip at the top. lol

I'm still getting used to the new aerodynamics, so I always end up having my rockets flip around and rip themselves apart in the ascent phase. If I make it into the upper atmosphere I'm safe, but that middle layer is always rough going, at least for pure rockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.