Windows 10 Maintenance

Broax

Hi everyone.

Can anyone give me a couple of tips to keep my Windows 10 PC running smoothly? It's running great now I just want to keep it that way for as long as possible... Here's what I've done so far:

• Uninstalled unused programs;
  • Made sure to disable unwanted startup applications (like 'Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher' or 'CCleaner');
  • Cleared disk space with windows tool and then with CCleaner on both drives (HDD and SSD);
  • Analyzed and cleaned windows and applications;
  • Cleaned the registry with CCleaner;
  • Ran checkdisk and defrag on the HDD (not the SSD);

I only use Windows Defender as my AV software because, from what I've seen, it's both light weight and competent.

Aside from what I've done so far does anyone have any other tip they want to share?

Edited by sal_vager

Hi everyone.

Can anyone give me a couple of tips to keep my Windows 10 PC running smoothly? It's running great now I just want to keep it that way for as long as possible... Here's what I've done so far:

• Uninstalled unused programs;
  • Made sure to disable unwanted startup applications (like 'Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher' or 'CCleaner');
  • Cleared disk space with windows tool and then with CCleaner on both drives (HDD and SSD);
  • Analyzed and cleaned windows and applications;
  • Cleaned the registry with CCleaner;
  • Ran checkdisk and defrag on the HDD (not the SSD);

I only use Windows Defender as my AV software because, from what I've seen, it's both light weight and competent.

Aside from what I've done so far does anyone have any other tip they want to share?

You've covered about 90% of what is needed. That is far better than most users.

The rest of the 10% will be doing minor tweaks and such to the OS.

But like Bill Phil said, be wary.

Format the drive and installed Windows 7. Best maintenance. :D

To be honest I skipped windows 8/8.1 for the reasons everyone knows but I'm enjoying my experience with windows 10. As far as an OS goes it's at least as stable as windows 7 and I dare say a bit faster. What really gets me worried are all the smallprints on the EULA that make me consider switching to a local account and changing a bunch of privacy settings.

That being said I think I'd move to Linux faster then I'd move to Win7. And that ain't happening anytime soon. I've used Ubuntu on my old computer for almost a year and although Linux has come a looooong way it still has a long way to go before I can consider it a worthy desktop alternative for a median user like myself.

You've covered about 90% of what is needed. That is far better than most users.

The rest of the 10% will be doing minor tweaks and such to the OS.

But like Bill Phil said, be wary.

Do you have any good source for Windows10 tweaks I could check out?

I'm not too worried about security as I don't think my computer's worth the trouble of hacking it. My focus here is more on performance while on my work computer I focus more on safety (bitlocker, 3rd party antivirus and firewall, etc). :-)

Do you have any good source for Windows10 tweaks I could check out?

I'm not too worried about security as I don't think my computer's worth the trouble of hacking it. My focus here is more on performance while on my work computer I focus more on safety (bitlocker, 3rd party antivirus and firewall, etc). :-)

I wish I could help on that. I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan at the moment, but what you're doing as far as maintenance is the same as us Apple guys and gals. A computer is a computer, right?

I wish I could help on that. I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan at the moment, but what you're doing as far as maintenance is the same as us Apple guys and gals. A computer is a computer, right?

Well... I turned off a couple of unused windows services. It's not a lot but it's as much as I can do to keep everything smooth... I really wished windows had better automatic maintenance features like apple has...

Thanks for the help, though! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.