Air launch to orbit

The idea here is simple. Fly a plane up really high, drop a payload from it and make it enter orbit.

(Click here for the Wikipedia page)

RULES:

• The payload must be either deployed radially or dropped out of a cargo bay
  • The payload must be controllable
  • No cheaty mods (MechJeb is OK for readouts and flying the plane home, no HyperEdit!)
  • No using SSTOs
  • No debug menu
  • Pics or it didn't happen*
  • Airbreathing engines only for carrier plane
  • Please add up your points for me. I (surprisingly enough) have a life too.

• The basic point formula is as follows: (-)h + 2t = p, where h = height above atmosphere (.07 Mm) in megameters (averaged of both periapsis and apoapsis, rounded to nearest the nearest tenth), and t = mass of final payload in orbit. Height is negative around non Kerbin planets
  • Plane Fly back (requires flight manager or similar): +20 points
  • Payload has Kerbal aboard: +30 points per Kerbal
  • Payload has science instrument: +10 points
  • Payload has power generator: +10 points
  • Payload has antennae: +10 points
  • Payload is put in orbit around one of Kerbin's moons: +50 points for Mun, +100 points for Minmus
  • Payload orbits a planet: +500 points
  • Payload lands somewhere (Not kerbin): +100 points
  • Payload returns to Kerbin post-mission: +50 points
  • FAR is installed when challenge is completed: +35 points

*Minimum Screenshots

• Plane at launch showing airbreathing engines on the carrier plane.
  • Plane dropping payload
  • Payload burning for orbit
  • Payload in orbit and fully deployed
  • Picture of map mode with periapsis/apoapsis height visible
  • Payload burning for destination
  • Payload orbiting destination
  • Plane landed at Kerbin
  • Payload landed at destination
  • Payload landed at Kerbin

Leaderboard

1. xebx, 566 points
  2. Foxster, 564 points
  3. Monsterlunch, 338 points
  4. AnTREXon, 242 points
  5. mellojoe, 208.6 points
  6. Bioman222, 34 points

Realism Overhaul Leaderboard

My Entry:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Bioman222
Changed rules slightly.

Interesting challenge. Few questions/nitpicks though:

- plane fly back is not really possible due to vehicle distance limits in atmo. Unless I make the carrier suborbital, in which case it's not really "air launch to orbit".

- why are inner planets worth less points than outer planets? AFAIK Moho and Eve are one of the harder places to get to. Well, Moho at least.

- your own attempt? :P

Interesting challenge. Few questions/nitpicks though:

- plane fly back is not really possible due to vehicle distance limits in atmo. Unless I make the carrier suborbital, in which case it's not really "air launch to orbit".

- why are inner planets worth less points than outer planets? AFAIK Moho and Eve are one of the harder places to get to. Well, Moho at least.

- your own attempt? :P

- Isn't plane flyback possible with some mods? I may be wrong.

-Inner planets are indeed easier to get to, though I guess Moho has some decent inclination.

-I had my own attempt, but didn't get the photos needed. I'll be right back with them.

-Inner planets are indeed easier to get to, though I guess Moho has some decent inclination.

-I had my own attempt, but didn't get the photos needed. I'll be right back with them.

1. No.

2. Have you looked at a dV map?

3. I wait in eager anticipation.

- It is, but what mods are considered "cheaty"? :D

- I disagree, for example Eve and Duna take similar dV to get to, but Duna is much more forgiving with aerocapture. Inner planets are, at least to me, just as hard as outer ones to get to.

- Can't wait :)

Is it ok If I do it in 2 launch?

- one for the Payload orbit stuffs and screenshot

- one for the plane returning home after the payload drop

Because I have no idea how to overcome the craft dispawning once my payload get too far from it.

This way I have a F-15 replica (called K-15) and a payload ready for the challange, my pay load have 5k dV, where do you want it? ;)

(All stock except Mechjeb)

corp_darpa_630x354.jpg

P.S.

If my payload carry a kerbal, does it have to come back home? :)

Edited by Aladran

Is it ok If I do it in 2 launch?

- one for the Payload orbit stuffs and screenshot

- one for the plane returning home after the payload drop

Because I have no idea how to overcome the craft dispawning once my payload get too far from it.

This way I have a F-15 replica (called K-15) and a payload ready for the challange, my pay load have 5k dV, where do you want it? ;)

(All stock except Mechjeb)

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/features/2014/03/corp_darpa_630x354.jpg

P.S.

If my payload carry a kerbal, does it have to come back home? :)

No, you may not do a second launch, though you could try a mod like Flight Manager. Also no, you don't have to bring the kerbal back.

- - - Updated - - -

An entry to get the ball rolling...

http://imgur.com/a/Dk33m

I haven't got time at the moment to fly it to a moon or elsewhere but it has 2993 dV left so there's scope to go onwards.

Would you happen to know the mass of your payload? I need it to get your basic score.

Oh, and due to popular demand, a payload orbiting a planet is worth 500. Another thing, I'll get my entry up Soonâ„¢. I can't make any guarantees as school has been particularly stressful the past month. But don't worry, OP will deliver.

Edited by Bioman222

Did this ages ago, in Duna, Ore Bust!

Pics or it didn't happen: Yeah, I think I've got that covered...Chapter 2 shows the launch. The rest of the story is at the link in my sig. :)

• The basic point formula is as follows: h + 2t = p, where h = height above atmosphere (70km) in kilometers (averaged of both periapsis and apoapsis), and t = mass of final payload in orbit IIRC the Hummlebee got to 73km and massed about 40t at that time.
  • Plane Fly back (requires flight manager or similar): +20 points Nope
  • Payload has Kerbal aboard: +30 points per Kerbal Four kerbals
  • Payload has science instrument: +10 points Yes, lots
  • Payload has power generator: +10 points Yes
  • Payload has antennae: +10 points Yes
  • Payload is put in orbit around one of Kerbin's moons: +50 points for Mun, +100 points for Minmus Orbited Minmus (after refueling from a tanker)
  • Payload orbits a planet: +500 points Orbited and landed on Duna and Ike (after refueling at a Minmus orbital station)

*Minimum Screenshots

• Plane at launch showing a lack of RAPIERS or similar check
  • Plane dropping payload check
  • Payload burning for orbit check
  • Payload in orbit and fully deployed check
  • Picture of map mode with periapsis/apoapsis height visible nope, you can give me minimum points here if you like
  • Payload burning for destination check
  • Payload orbiting destination check

Edited by Kuzzter

Sorry Kuzzter I think the first stage has to be air breathing but not Rappiers. But maybe I am not correctly understanding the rules.

I also found a hole in the scoring problem. Going to the edge of Kerbans SOI gives 84,159 points for height alone. but another planet only gives 500. IF I make it into the Kerbols SOI do I get 13,599,840 points? I am thinking best bet is a sling shot off Jool should give about 1/2 billion points or going to the very edge of Jools SOI should give 245,598 points if Kerbol height points don't count

*Minimum Screenshots

• Plane at launch showing a lack of RAPIERS or similar

Sorry Kuzzter I think the first stage has to be air breathing but not Rappiers. But maybe I am not correctly understanding the rules.

I also found a hole in the scoring problem. Going to the edge of Kerbans SOI gives 84,159 points for height alone. but another planet only gives 500. IF I make it into the Kerbols SOI do I get 13,599,840 points? I am thinking best bet is a sling shot off Jool should give about 1/2 billion points or going to the very edge of Jools SOI should give 245,598 points if Kerbol height points don't count

*Minimum Screenshots

• Plane at launch showing a lack of RAPIERS or similar

Firstly, I would just give Kuzzter a pass on that as I really enjoy the series, however, I won't because he's missing some criteria. Now, I would be more than happy to see it redone with proper pictures and airbreathing engines (now part of the rules.).

Secondly, that is a very good point. Will edit that.

EDIT: New rules: Airbreathing engines only for plane, points for orbit now in megameters and negative for non-Kerbin planets.

Edited by Bioman222

Firstly, I would just give Kuzzter a pass on that as I really enjoy the series, however, I won't because he's missing some criteria. Now, I would be more than happy to see it redone with proper pictures and airbreathing engines (now part of the rules.).

Thanks! Now, what about in-flight refueling or ISRU? If you allow the former, then anything with a docking port can get anywhere in the solar system...if the latter, anything capable of intercepting an asteroid or landing on Minmus can get anywhere in the solar system...but at least that ship has to lift with a drill, an ore container, a refining unit, and possibly a docking claw :)

Thanks! Now, what about in-flight refueling or ISRU? If you allow the former, then anything with a docking port can get anywhere in the solar system...if the latter, anything capable of intercepting an asteroid or landing on Minmus can get anywhere in the solar system...but at least that ship has to lift with a drill, an ore container, a refining unit, and possibly a docking claw :)

ISRU's are perfectly fine.

RULES:

• The payload must be either deployed radially or dropped out of a cargo bay Yes
  • The payload must be controllable YES
  • No cheaty mods (MechJeb is OK for readouts and flying the plane home, no HyperEdit!) YES
  • No using SSTOs NOPE
  • No debug menu NEVER HAVE, NEVER WILL
  • Pics or it didn't happen* I HAVE A DOZENS
  • Airbreathing engines only for carrier plane YES

• The basic point formula is as follows: (-)h + 2t = p, where h = height above atmosphere (.07 Mm) in megameters (averaged of both periapsis and apoapsis, rounded to nearest the nearest tenth), and t = mass of final payload in orbit. Height is negative around non Kerbin planets
  • Plane Fly back (requires flight manager or similar): +20 points COMPLETE
  • Payload has Kerbal aboard: +30 points per Kerbal COMPLETE(1)
  • Payload has science instrument: +10 points COMPLETE
  • Payload has power generator: +10 points COMPLETE
  • Payload has antennae: +10 points COMPLETE
  • Payload is put in orbit around one of Kerbin's moons: +50 points for Mun, +100 points for Minmus IN PROGRESS
  • Payload orbits a planet: +500 points

*Minimum Screenshots

• Plane at launch showing airbreathing engines on the carrier plane. COMPLETE
  • Plane dropping payload COMPLETE
  • Payload burning for orbit COMPLETE
  • Payload in orbit and fully deployed COMPLETE
  • Picture of map mode with periapsis/apoapsis height visible COMPLETE
  • Payload burning for destination COMPLETE
  • Payload orbiting destination IN PROGRESS

How do we calculate orbiting the sun?

edit: Is it possible to add points together? for example, could I go to the mun (50), then minimus (100), then edge of SOI (84.2)(result=234.2 points)?

Edited by MARINEav8r
additional question

Challenge accepted and completed :

RULES:

• The payload must be either deployed radially or dropped out of a cargo bay Yes radially
  • The payload must be controllable Yes (okto probe)
  • No cheaty mods (MechJeb is OK for readouts and flying the plane home, no HyperEdit!) Yes (MJ, KER, KJR, SR)
  • No using SSTOs Ok
  • No debug menu Ok
  • Pics or it didn't happen* imgur album
  • Airbreathing engines only for carrier plane Yes (2x3 airbreathing Rapier)

• The basic point formula is as follows: (-)h + 2t = p, where h = height above atmosphere (.07 Mm) in megameters (averaged of both periapsis and apoapsis, rounded to nearest the nearest tenth), and t = mass of final payload in orbit. Height is negative around non Kerbin planets Final payload : 8.2 tons in LKO with 5077m/s delta-V remaining
  • Plane Fly back (requires flight manager or similar): +20 points Yes (stage recovery did it)
  • Payload has Kerbal aboard: +30 points per Kerbal No (plane has room for 6 kerbals, but not payload*corrected*)
  • Payload has science instrument: +10 points Yes (thermometer, barometer, gravioli detector, surveyscanner and narrowbandscanner)
  • Payload has power generator: +10 points Yes (8 solar panels 1x6)
  • Payload has antennae: +10 points Yes (big dish, it's also a com relay sattelite)
  • Payload is put in orbit around one of Kerbin's moons: +50 points for Mun, +100 points for Minmus
  • Payload orbits a planet: +500 points Eve (5077 m/s delta-V remaining after LKO reached) polar orbit 150 km

Score : 566 = (-h+2t ??? 0.06+2*8.2=16.46)+20+10+10+10+500

*Minimum Screenshots Yes imgur album

• Plane at launch showing airbreathing engines on the carrier plane.
  • Plane dropping payload
  • Payload burning for orbit
  • Payload in orbit and fully deployed
  • Picture of map mode with periapsis/apoapsis height visible
  • Payload burning for destination
  • Payload orbiting destination

I was surprised the first time it worked as it's a lot harder compared to rockets, plane trajectory is very important (need speed over 1500m/s + good vertical speed + plane nose going down slowly), plane engines drain all tanks so i needed to lock fuel everywhere on payload, then unlock fuel just after cutting engines + dropping payload + switching ship + fullthrottle on payload engine and MJ with new params (...)

Another annoying aspect is adding the payload to the plane, it's another ship.

But that was fun ! :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

note : the airspeed challenge helped me indirectly.

Edited by xebx
adding score

So first off, it would be nice if you guys could calculate your point totals. Please. Pretty Please. With a cherry on top

Secondly, Marine av8er, you make a good point. I'm leaning towards just throwing away the orbit height caclulation and just going with Delta-V now that another problem has been pointed out with it.

I'm still trying to find some time to get mine done, I'll probably have it up tonight (no promises). You guys are doing some amazing stuff with this though. I am impressed.

I've tried my first launch here (semi successfully) and will now try to complete the whole challenge with a planet orbit

This was the initial attempt to Minmus:

Very nice! I'm gonna say that was worth 242 points (100 for Minmus orbit, 100 for landing, 11 for weight, 30 for Kerbal.)

NOTE THAT I HAVE ADDED TWO POINT OPPORTUNITIES FOR LANFING AND RETURN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.