Heavy mouse lag (specially on VAB) after a while playing

Hi everyone. This is a bit strange to explain but I'll do my best...

KSP: 1.0.4 Windows 64bit (I know but bare with me)

Problem: The game works fine for a while. For the first hour or so I only notice the usual problems of the 64bit build (building randomly showing as fully upgraded for example). After a while the game becomes very laggy. Everything works fine, the frame rates are stable but the thing is that whenever I try to click something (with the mouse, obviously) the click doesn't register. I have to hold the left mouse button down for like 0,50 seconds. After a while I have to press for maybe one second. And the time keeps growing. Everything still works OK but the mouse clicks seem to take longer and longer to register. After a while the game is barely unplayable and since loading takes so long (around 5min on a SSD) I just don't bother.

Mods installed:

1. OuterPlanetsModContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
  2. StationPartsExpansion
  3. StationScience
  4. StockClamshellFairings
  5. TacFuelBalancer
  6. TACLS
  7. TACLS-Config-Stock
  8. TextureReplacer
  9. Trajectories
  10. TransferWindowPlanner
  11. TurboNisuReloaded
  12. WaterSounds
  13. CommunityTechTree
  14. NearFuturePropulsion
  15. NearFutureElectrical
  16. NearFutureSolar
  17. NearFutureConstruction
  18. NearFutureSpacecraft
  19. KSP-AVC
  20. ModuleAnimateEmissive
  21. NearFutureProps
  22. CommunityResourcePack
  23. NearFutureElectrical-Core
  24. InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core
  25. GCMonitor
  26. KWRocketry
  27. KWRocketry-CommunityFixes
  28. KWRocketry-CommunityFixes-interstage
  29. Kopernicus
  30. DistantObject
  31. VesselView
  32. CrowdSourcedFlags
  33. Toolbar
  34. TMSTACLSRetexture
  35. EpicSuits
  36. ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech
  37. ContractConfigurator-RoverMissionsbyWhyren
  38. RemoteTech
  39. RemoteTech-ProbeControlEnabler
  40. Thermometer
  41. Muffler
  42. PreciseNode
  43. RoverWheelSounds
  44. ChampagneBottleLafitte
  45. ForScienceContinued
  46. Scatterer
  47. Telemachus
  48. UniversalStorage
  49. KerboKatzUtilities
  50. NavUtilities

Reproduction steps: To reproduce the problem I only have to play for a while and it ALWAYS happens. It happens with everything I try to click but seems more noticeable on the VAB/SPH.

Log: The game doesn't crash so there's no crash log.

System specs: I don't know if this is helpful but since it's a lowend PC it might help, still...

• CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTS450 (1Gb)
  • MB: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
  • RAM: 8GB DDR2@400Mhz
  • SSD: Kingston SV300 120GB (where KSP and Windows are installed)

Now, I know (a) Win64 isn't supported, (B) too many mods CAN cause issues and © my PC is old and slow. Still, it shouldn't have these kind of issues. The game runs just fine for a long while until these things start happening and other games run just fine. The reason why I'm posting this is because I'm not sure if this is, in fact, related to me using the 64bit workaround. The game obviously crashes if I try to run the 32bit client so I can't test it with these many mods to compare and if I remove some of the mods the problem might be an undiagnosed mod issue.

Do other 64bit users have this problem? Does any 32bit user with mods installed have have these issues? Does someone with the linux 64bit version have this struggle?

The computer itself is well maintained. I recently did a fresh OS install (when I upgraded to Windows 10) and I make sure to keep everything running smoothly. Boot times are fast and all desktop applications run without any issues.

Any help is appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this is caused by various issues that cause the memory usage of KSP to gradually (or not so gradually in some situations) climb. How much memory does KSP use when you first launch it and how much is it using when it starts getting slow?

As for logs, there is always an output_log.txt file created every time the game runs (well, it could crash before it starts writing the log but it's pretty unlikely). See the "How to get support" sticky thread for details of where to find it...

Edited by Padishar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.