[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

It looks excellent! :D though I admit I'm more inclined to pretend I'm in a Flash Gordon serial with these parts than recreate Chuck Yeager's historic flight ;)

Ideas

• New alcohol like fuel, low ISP engines (Straying a little too far from stock maybe?).
  • Aerobee (guess where the name comes from!).
  • More X-1 Parts (Wings, Control Surfaces, Wheels - these are all a little tricky for me, but possible).

On alcohol and low isp I personally don't like the idea of rendering a part universally under powered for historical reasons the reason I love you mods is because despite the replica vibe the parts are still useful when used in normal play. ;) also the b29 carrier plane isn't something that is practical in ksp so it'll probably need the extra non historical fuel efficiency in order to take off by itself and get science done

as for aerobee since its in the name I guess there is no choice :D

finally about more x-1 parts the wings are a must I don't think stock has anything small enough and its a good excuse to put some plane parts earlier in the tree especially if there is control surfaces to match, but the wheels can probably wait till 1.1 when the rover overhaul comes the stock fixed gear and parachutes can do the job till then.

So just sounding rockets and rocket planes right? no jets? might want to make a FAQ listing automatic no's before you get flooded with "N4Z1" requests

Edited by passinglurker

If you're going to port over the V2 from Tantares, will you be making it look closer to real life? or will it stay 'kerbalised'?

800px-Fus%C3%A9e_V2.jpg

looks pretty close to me already. Though some things could be done about flying straighter because the current ones fins are just for show. functionality meanwhile can improved by adding either a service bay or fairing base function to the nose, and of course the engine shouldn't be nerfed because it's old trading the bottom attachment node for early gimbal is fine, but lets let it be just as competitive as the other engines its size by later in the game in terms of twr, isp, and cost.

now if you mean scale I'm afraid the V2 is in a bad spot. kerbals ~50-60% scaling lands its real diameter somewhere right in the middle of two standard sizes (0.625m and 1.25m) leaving three choices. make it too big, make it too small, or make it a new size (0.9375m), and just to make things complicated lets remember the real v2 is longer than the bell x1 ;)

Don't mind me though I can cope with things being out of scale ;)

Wow!

Many thanks for the feedback, really nice to hear, glad it is enjoyed!

It looks excellent! :D though I admit I'm more inclined to pretend I'm in a Flash Gordon serial with these parts than recreate Chuck Yeager's historic flight ;)

On alcohol and low isp I personally don't like the idea of rendering a part universally under powered for historical reasons the reason I love you mods is because despite the replica vibe the parts are still useful when used in normal play. ;) also the b29 carrier plane isn't something that is practical in ksp so it'll probably need the extra non historical fuel efficiency in order to take off by itself and get science done

as for aerobee since its in the name I guess there is no choice :D

finally about more x-1 parts the wings are a must I don't think stock has anything small enough and its a good excuse to put some plane parts earlier in the tree especially if there is control surfaces to match, but the wheels can probably wait till 1.1 when the rover overhaul comes the stock fixed gear and parachutes can do the job till then.

So just sounding rockets and rocket planes right? no jets? might want to make a FAQ listing automatic no's before you get flooded with "N4Z1" requests

Many thanks for feedback!

In general I don't think to make the parts "bad" on second thought, instead they will be competitive with the normal stock parts (would be nice to differentiate the early technology somehow though).

Wings I have no idea how to model and set up, but that can be learn quickly (hopefully :rolleyes:). I do agree a lot it is a bit awkward to build the X-1 with stock wings (though swept wings are quite a good fit, if wrong shape).

Gears are harder, but with 1.1 "around the corner" is best to wait for new wheel physics.

No jets, no! (Sorry).

Dammit Beale, you've done it again.

http://i.imgur.com/OLITTQG.png?1

You made 4 parts in the time it took me to mock up one. I give up.

Nice!

Don't give up, take more practice and you get faster :)

Now I am modelling parts in little 10 minute windows I can get, and the speed helps!

If you're going to port over the V2 from Tantares, will you be making it look closer to real life? or will it stay 'kerbalised'?

It will be re-scaled slightly, and given a little more stock paint job (the current is very photo-realistic / gritty).

IVA

It's a 512x512 texture.

04a3f71231.jpg

RPM compatibility will come at a later date.

0341ca13d5.jpg

Edited by Beale

Flight & IVA Test.

Very successful!

Available for release soon. :)

a06bfe9d8b.jpg

Engine does not produce nearly enough thrust to break the sound barrier, but it already can take off under its own power (barely!).

6b65f24e5e.jpg

Few minor IVA gripes, will be fixed.

But, visibility is quite good!

b8be068560.jpg

I was about to make my usual complaint about the IVA being too sparse, but I remembered that fighter cockpits don't normally have the almighty cargo bags in them...

Is there any chance of seeing a V-1 here?

I think your odds are low first because of a simple question "would it fit in the mods scope?" I mean yes its pre-sputnik but its jet powered and contributed nothing to science unlike the V2 and X1 so it doesn't fit with anything beale said or even implied.

second because you can make it with the new tiny jet stock parts that are coming so why would beale need too?

EDIT:

Heh, that thing looks like a,more elegant Me-163 Komet!
Yay! its so close already that he doesn't need to make custom "N4Z1" parts! ;)

Available Here

006af25c17.jpg

Initial release, including previously shown X-1 parts.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

Other development:

V-2 will not be moved to this pack (But, will still be removed from Tantares).

Instead will be making Bumper and R2 (Or rather, common parts to create both).

If you decide to make an rpm functional IVA would you consider using ASET avionics? They make a great airplane experience. Awesome looking parts as usual 8)

Many thanks!

I'd consider it sure!

I'd love to see B-29 parts to go with this!

Unfortunately that's an entire other beast, not sure I could do it justice.

I am loving this X-1!

Thanks!

Edited by Beale

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.