[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

Bell X-1 Test Flight

ap92lSWl.jpg

Put together a quick album for a Bell X-1 drop test. Went well, but couldn't stick a landing unfortunately. When you put your wings near the center of mass, for some reason the the pitch controls reverse and will make the flight a nightmare.

Couldn't build a decent B-29 analog, so I just built a generic high altitude jet.

Over all, I think the X-1 could use it's own control surfaces for sure. The stock control surfaces aren't the right size, and none of them really look quite right. Balance seems pretty good off the bat though.

I noticed an animation bug in the "Lights On" toggle for the cockpit. The emissive for the cabin lights seems to be wonky. It phases through different hues rather than just illuminating. Has something to do with one of the animation curves I'm sure.

Other than that, all feels really good. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

Bell X-1 Test Flight

http://imgur.com/ap92lSWl.jpg

http://imgur.com/a//uIuHp

Put together a quick album for a Bell X-1 drop test. Went well, but couldn't stick a landing unfortunately. When you put your wings near the center of mass, for some reason the the pitch controls reverse and will make the flight a nightmare.

Couldn't build a decent B-29 analog, so I just built a generic high altitude jet.

Over all, I think the X-1 could use it's own control surfaces for sure. The stock control surfaces aren't the right size, and none of them really look quite right. Balance seems pretty good off the bat though.

I noticed an animation bug in the "Lights On" toggle for the cockpit. The emissive for the cabin lights seems to be wonky. It phases through different hues rather than just illuminating. Has something to do with one of the animation curves I'm sure.

Call it the Beale X-1, xD

Also Beale hasn't added Taerobee to his sig yet :P

Bell X-1 Test Flight

http://imgur.com/ap92lSWl.jpg

http://imgur.com/a//uIuHp

Very nice! Animation bug noted, yes it absolutely goes to an orange hue before lighting fully.

Very spiffy engine there! :)

Many thanks!

I can't seem to find this mod on CKAN, even though kerbalstuff says it's there. I'm confused.

Anyway, it looks brilliant and I love your work, Beale.

Very odd, but when it comes to CKAN I have not a clue what to do, all I have done is check a box in Kerbal Stuff...

I will look into it.

Anyway, many thanks!

Oooh. Very nice. I may need to muck about in this thing sometime. Maybe in KSP v1.1 whenever RSS/RO/RP-0 get converted. Try to give ole Chuck a run for his money.

Thanks!

Bumper.

Couple of fuel tanks model and texture.

d7b477fe83.jpg

Here with the old TantaresLV engine, for a vague idea of how the full thing will look.

0d0cf3c9f8.jpg

"It's missing the famous stripes!"

yes, this is true, but they do not look great on a 24-sided cylinder, a lot of distortion going on.

57d8a07a01.jpg

Old and new side and side, the new tanks is a much better fit to the profile of the rocket. (Again, ignore the engine).

627a5e216d.jpg

Combine with X-1 parts for... something!

9b37b8d711.jpg

I'm aiming for a single 512x512 sheet overall.

1b63a72f96.jpg

Edited by Beale

Wasn't bumper a 2 stage rocket?

6nPwFZx.png

Also Beale have you ever seen this little British gem?

megaroc_600px.png

Its called megaroc and it was a proposal by the British interplanetary society to stick a bigger fuel tank on the same model 39 engine used by the V2 and have it carry a pressurized cabin shrouded in a jettisonable fairing on a suborbital trajectory that optimistically could have been done a about decade before mercury-redstone.

Edited by passinglurker

Great many thanks!

The airpoweredworld link is especially great for the modelling side :)

Wasn't bumper a 2 stage rocket?

http://i.imgur.com/6nPwFZx.png

Also Beale have you ever seen this little British gem?

http://www.bis-space.com/wp-content/gallery/r-a-smith/megaroc_600px.png

Its called megaroc and it was a proposal by the British interplanetary society to stick a bigger fuel tank on the same model 39 engine used by the V2 and have it carry a pressurized cabin shrouded in a jettisonable fairing on a suborbital trajectory that optimistically could have been done a about decade before mercury-redstone.

It will exist in the basic configuration for now, I think.

Adding the second stage would involve stepping out into smaller parts sizes, still have not made up my mind on that aspect.

The British design is interesting, I think something like that could be cooked up with command chair + proc fairings :wink:

I really like this mod, and hope to see more, keep up the good work!

Many thanks!

Bumper Engine & Fin

Missing nozzle.

efc1466a23.jpg

70eb2cd5ab.jpg

1ee793b71b.jpg

1f01106eb9.jpg

Great many thanks!

The airpoweredworld link is especially great for the modelling side :)

It will exist in the basic configuration for now, I think.

Adding the second stage would involve stepping out into smaller parts sizes, still have not made up my mind on that aspect.

The British design is interesting, I think something like that could be cooked up with command chair + proc fairings :wink:

lol wherever would you put your chute sir? either way it might make a good excuse to make a 1 man lander can that doesn't stick out wide like stocks

looking spiffy, but are there no control surfaces?

220px-Antwerp_V-2.jpg

(look at the tips) kraken knows we'd need something like that early game instead of just the fixed stock basic fin

lol wherever would you put your chute sir? either way it might make a good excuse to make a 1 man lander can that doesn't stick out wide like stocks

looking spiffy, but are there no control surfaces?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Antwerp_V-2.jpg/220px-Antwerp_V-2.jpg

(look at the tips) kraken knows we'd need something like that early game instead of just the fixed stock basic fin

Well this is embarrassing, totally missed those.

How do they rotate, like this?

46b881a3c5.jpg

Or like this?

ed62a1c46a.jpg

Bumper design is very good!

Thanks!

Courtesy of Dragon01 also there is a few other cool concepts to explore...

RV_1.jpg

W-1E_1a.jpg

Well this is embarrassing, totally missed those.

How do they rotate, like this?

Or like this?

I believe that they rotate like the first picture, as that would provide pitch, yaw, and roll control, whereas the other way would actually not really provide any control at all, as it wouldn't change the flap's angle of attack.

Additionally, I believe the fins were mechanically linked to the thrust vanes that deflected the exhaust of the engine, but I cannot find any confirmation for that.

I believe that they rotate like the first picture, as that would provide pitch, yaw, and roll control, whereas the other way would actually not really provide any control at all, as it wouldn't change the flap's angle of attack.

Additionally, I believe the fins were mechanically linked to the thrust vanes that deflected the exhaust of the engine, but I cannot find any confirmation for that.

Yeah it looks like they function the same as the thrust vanes on the Redstone. You could do a FASA and have the control surfaces + thrust vanes be one part - that would also help with early game part counts.

Speaking of that. Note you can set the FX to one single main thrust transform, and then add four (differently named, i.e. thrustTransformEngine and the FX one thrustTransformFX) thrust transforms around the nozzle and link the engine module to that. That, and a small degree gimbal on thrustTransformEngine, will allow you to get roll control from the engine (i.e. simulating the jet vanes).

RO does just such a thing to the RD-103 and the NAA75 (Redstone engine).

I don't think animated jet vanes are all that necessary you'd hardly notice them and it limits how you can use the fins outside of bumper/r2. Maybe as a decisive part of the rocket nozzel instead? Unless beale learns the black magic of the constrain module they use on the klaw

- - - Updated - - -

Decorative not decisive on phone can't edit

That makes an awful lot of sense, many thanks!

Speaking of that. Note you can set the FX to one single main thrust transform, and then add four (differently named, i.e. thrustTransformEngine and the FX one thrustTransformFX) thrust transforms around the nozzle and link the engine module to that. That, and a small degree gimbal on thrustTransformEngine, will allow you to get roll control from the engine (i.e. simulating the jet vanes).

RO does just such a thing to the RD-103 and the NAA75 (Redstone engine).

Oh wow, neat trick! It will be nice to give this some degree of roll control.

Many thanks.

I don't think animated jet vanes are all that necessary you'd hardly notice them and it limits how you can use the fins outside of bumper/r2. Maybe as a decisive part of the rocket nozzel instead? Unless beale learns the black magic of the constrain module they use on the klaw

Could also use gimbalTransforms to animate the vanes (in a very basic way).

Control Core.

Because I have always wanted a basic 0.625m control core.

f74913a826.jpg

0931675c59.jpg

7c08b9e77d.jpg

Final texture, more or less.

26471dc749.jpg

Edited by Beale

Looking good! May I ask what's up with the stripes seen on the control core and the Soyuz fairing base? At first I thought it was a placeholder texture. What's it supposed to represent?

I...

It...

They...

flanders.gif

To be serious, I'm not sure there is any reason I use them, I just think a bit of "gruffness" to loosen up the otherwise very plain texture maps.

3b4039be09.jpg6cd5c55eb6.jpg

Edited by Beale

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.