[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

You could drop *some* of the greeble at the top.

To be fair, he has dropped a lot of greebling already.

combustion-chamber-cut-away-med.jpg

The engine was an insane tangle of fuel lines and steam pipes. Hard to do it justice without showing just what an overcomplicated mess it really was.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I'd definitely suggest doing the injectors by texturing, and instead spending polies on the turbopumps and piping. Looks like you're making good progress, and don't worry unless you get over 15k or more, KSP is far from GPU-limited (as long as the *collider* is simple, the CPU won't care about your tricount).

Good reference, many thanks!

You could drop *some* of the greeble at the top.
I'd definitely suggest doing the injectors by texturing, and instead spending polies on the turbopumps and piping. Looks like you're making good progress, and don't worry unless you get over 15k or more, KSP is far from GPU-limited (as long as the *collider* is simple, the CPU won't care about your tricount).

Culling some of the injectors does save around 200 triangles, not bad :)

The interior of the support frame structure should be fairly busy, but - eh!

Currently 'only' on 788 triangles.

4e44cf50bd.jpg

48abaf1ad2.jpg

Wow, just noticed that mod... Pretty cool!

Thanks!

Heh! I certainly have a bad eye for scale.

I would have though the size difference between those two was minimal at a glance.

@OTmikhail I agree a lot the mating of the WAC to the Bumper body will be a tricky thing to do (whilst keeping parts as un-niche as possible!).

Scale is tricky, 0.3125m is far too big.

http://puu.sh/k9PE6/27e4c269f3.jpg

0.15625m (half 0.3125m again) is quite a lot better.

http://puu.sh/k9PK8/90550f6617.jpg

Very nice! :)

I could have a look into this.

I'm having some great difficulty with the unclad engine, at least in terms of polycounts (I'd like to keep the polygon density in line with other parts otherwise it looks a bit odd).

http://puu.sh/k9OO7/bd4c8f9258.jpg

http://puu.sh/k9P9Z/e8ce917ef1.jpg

!!!!!! OMG that second model for the WAC looks great, forget the fins, I'll take it like that! HAHA

Question? would that create another upper Bumber fuel tank that has an attachment point for 0.15625m size on top instead of coming to a point at the top? Or can you magically create an attachment point inside the fuel tank?

Also that new engine is coming along nicely, which makes me think, do you have plans to make the X-15 as well? kinda uses the same engines you've already created for the X-1 and Bumper... heck why not do all the early X planes!!! Russia's too! get some Bor, Mig-105, and Spiral action going on!

thinking seriously you already have the X-1 and pretty much the X-2. X-8,9, and 10 are essentially this new 0.15625m part and the existing Bumper, X-17 could be a combo of both. Forget non rocket and space related ones. X-15 would be hard, then coming up with a model that could be used for both X-23, X-24A, Mig-105, Bor-1-4 and 6, Spiral, HL-20, and Dreamchaser since they are all the same basic shape... and finally a unique model for X-20.... But i know thats a lot to ask. Just thinking about the direction this mod is taking....

Keep up the hard work. You are my favorite Modder.

Cool! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry unless you go over 15,000 faces, and even then it's probably fine. <1000 is nothing! :)

Should be fine I agree :)

1908 triangles, I still think there is needed the Hydrogen Peroxide tank and Nitrogen tanks, which might bring it up to... 2500?

There are certainly liberties and simplifications compared to the real engine, but I think it is "greebly" enough.

8ed6b190ee.jpg

6a9600bf5b.jpg

62b9ca6b19.jpg

ad67429cb1.jpg

!!!!!! OMG that second model for the WAC looks great, forget the fins, I'll take it like that! HAHA

Question? would that create another upper Bumber fuel tank that has an attachment point for 0.15625m size on top instead of coming to a point at the top? Or can you magically create an attachment point inside the fuel tank?

Also that new engine is coming along nicely, which makes me think, do you have plans to make the X-15 as well? kinda uses the same engines you've already created for the X-1 and Bumper... heck why not do all the early X planes!!! Russia's too! get some Bor, Mig-105, and Spiral action going on!

thinking seriously you already have the X-1 and pretty much the X-2. X-8,9, and 10 are essentially this new 0.15625m part and the existing Bumper, X-17 could be a combo of both. Forget non rocket and space related ones. X-15 would be hard, then coming up with a model that could be used for both X-23, X-24A, Mig-105, Bor-1-4 and 6, Spiral, HL-20, and Dreamchaser since they are all the same basic shape... and finally a unique model for X-20.... But i know thats a lot to ask. Just thinking about the direction this mod is taking....

Keep up the hard work. You are my favorite Modder.

Many thanks!

I would likely create another tank yes (and a decoupler for good measure).

X-15, Bor or Spiral I don't think as they are with the exception of X-15 a little too modern, trying to keep things "pre-Sputnik" early.

Yeah the X-20 intrigues me a lot, but would be very difficult to make stockalike I feel.

Many thanks!

I would likely create another tank yes (and a decoupler for good measure).

X-15, Bor or Spiral I don't think as they are with the exception of X-15 a little too modern, trying to keep things "pre-Sputnik" early.

Yeah the X-20 intrigues me a lot, but would be very difficult to make stockalike I feel.

Oh man, a new 0.15625m rocket, a new tank, AND a decoupler? Cant wait to try your next Bumper release. The uncovered engine is coming along nicely as well.

Awesome mod!!!

I lovet The idea of having cool old planes in ksp.

Are you thinking of making The F2Y Sea Dart. It was a rally cool seaplane in the 50s made to go supersonic

Many thanks :)

Neat little plane too, very X-plane-ish.

Seems like somebody else likes Taerobee too:

Kottabos likes it aswell:

Ohohoho, makes me very happy to see it being enjoyed.

The speaker is pointing out a good thing, the need for wings! Should get those done next.

Taerobee 2.0 Release

15/09/2015

- Added Bumper.

- Reduced capabilities of X-1 somewhat.

Tyc0WpP.png?1

These two chaps are commemorated as engine names too, for anyone confused on the Bumper's naming scheme.

giphy.gif

Edited by Beale

I love this mod! The X-1 fuselage is surprisingly versatile for a number of different aircraft designs.

Might I suggest a Spitfire? It is arguably the most famous aircraft from the time period and I have been anxious to see a mod implementing the thing into the game.

Or, perhaps the Whittle or the He 178 - the first pioneering steps into turbojet powered flight?

Grabbed with pleasure!

Ooh, it'd be very neat to see KSP's first actual jet engine, not just nozzle. Those early centrifugal flow compressors were gigantic...

Yeah, is there any chance of getting alternative jet engines in this pack? The two we have in stock are too big and don't work well for building 1940s/1950s jet fighters.

Wow these models and textures are gorgeous! I'd swear they were coming in 1.1

Many thanks! :)

I love this mod! The X-1 fuselage is surprisingly versatile for a number of different aircraft designs.

Might I suggest a Spitfire? It is arguably the most famous aircraft from the time period and I have been anxious to see a mod implementing the thing into the game.

Thanks!

On Spitfire, it is a very pretty aircraft, but not so relevant for the pack I feel, sorry!

Grabbed with pleasure!

Ooh, it'd be very neat to see KSP's first actual jet engine, not just nozzle. Those early centrifugal flow compressors were gigantic...

Yeah, is there any chance of getting alternative jet engines in this pack? The two we have in stock are too big and don't work well for building 1940s/1950s jet fighters.

Some 0.625m (or even smaller, radial) turbojets would be very neat to have. Especially if they can be mounted mid-wing.

442e3a0900.jpg

Before I update, maybe a dumb question, but will 2.0 break my career save game? I've been loving Bumper too much.....

Should be no problems :)

What a cool part set. Simple yet well done.

I'm having a heck of a time getting a stable X-1 to fly, though. My CoM must be moving like crazy after liftoff, or I'm using the wrong wings/tail bits. Any example craft that fly well?

Many thanks!

Here is the craft I used in the Imgur album (or a design very close). It tends to drag at the launch (so maybe move wheels back a little).

But, I think flies fine, some feedback if it doesn't is very appreciated :)

The biggest flight I have taken (and landed successfully). Not a crazy-long distance, but it was quite empty on landing.

It is quite flip happy when running low on fuel, should the engine drain fuel from all tanks at once (like the stock jets do, I think?).

ca1e567c5a.jpg

537a527329.jpg

Edit:

Switching the engine to drain equally makes the craft much more stable full or empty, I will upload a fix now.

Edit 2:

Fix uploaded!

Edited by Beale

PSA: Taerobee is now supported in RO v10.4 and RP-0 v0.38 Bumper.

Thanks Beale for awesome stuff! :)

Going foward, I do have to ask whether you might consider using the historical location for the V-2 avioincs (i.e. above the fuel tank, which is the upper of the two tanks, and below the "ballast" [which was actually ballast in sounding rocket usage] ). That would increase the part count slightly (a fourth part, the ballast), but it would allow easier swapping between its use as a single rocket, and its use with a WAC upper stage--you'd only swap out the ballast part for a shroud/decoupler, and keep the avionics, then the two tank parts, then the engine.

v2_cutaway.jpg

Is the tank drain priority/sequence something determined by the engine? I was going to play with fuel lines or TAC Fuel Balancer, but you've provided an even better solution. Thank you!

It is determined by the fuel as default, but can be override per engine :)

There are still some flight problems, I can hopefully fix!

PSA: Taerobee is now supported in RO v10.4 and RP-0 v0.38 Bumper.

Thanks Beale for awesome stuff! :)

Going foward, I do have to ask whether you might consider using the historical location for the V-2 avioincs (i.e. above the fuel tank, which is the upper of the two tanks, and below the "ballast" [which was actually ballast in sounding rocket usage] ). That would increase the part count slightly (a fourth part, the ballast), but it would allow easier swapping between its use as a single rocket, and its use with a WAC upper stage--you'd only swap out the ballast part for a shroud/decoupler, and keep the avionics, then the two tank parts, then the engine.

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/v2_cutaway.jpg

That's wonderful to hear! Many thanks for the support :)

My thinking is on this for extension of Bumper, an avionics core can certainly be a part of it.

57b61c3413.jpg

Very cool mod! looking forward to seeing more X-1 parts, and maybe more early rocket/aircraft parts. Would be great to incorporate these into realism overhaul.

Many thanks!

Hopefully custom wings will help it glide better.

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.