Backyard Rocketry - For all your homegrown space program needs!

AxleMC131

Hello again fellow KSP players!

After much work and deliberation, I am proud to announce a test version of a new mod: Backyard Rocketry!

Backyard Rocketry is my first ever attempt at modding Kerbal Space Program. It includes no new part models as I don't know how to use Blender and/or Unity, but adds new parts by referencing existing Squad models and adding new configs (and occasionally, retextures) to them. The mod focuses on adding basic 0.313m parts, loosely in the form of model rockets, and is designed to add a little extra fun and flair to early career mode and sandbox.

This is my first KSP mod, and I know there isn't much depth to it, but I'd love to know what you think of it! If you can take the time, put any feedback or commendations in the thread down below. Don't hesitate to criticize either; I love hearing what people think, not just what they like, but also what they don't like and think should be added, balanced or removed altogether. This pack will most likely be updated and changed as new ideas arise.

You can also post in the thread with questions on how to use each of the parts. Once I am able to record videos of KSP, I will probably do a brief tutorial series for this mod, but until then, I'm only too happy to answer your questions!

Release Notes - Version 1.1.0 "Backyard Science!"

Huge thanks to all those who gave me great feedback and tried out the first release version of my mod! This has been my first proper introduction to the KSP community, and it's a truly friendly and helpful group. You guys are all awesome. :D

I had a lot of comments back on the first version of Backyard Rocketry asking for more science experiments to go with the 0.313m parts, and I can only comply with my audience. So, I am proud to announce the first big update, v1.1.0 "Backyard Science"!

Several new parts have been added for this version, including a 0.313m reaction wheel, inline battery bank, and three - yes, three - new science experiment parts!

Here's what to expect in the new version:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For a full list of the added/edited parts, be sure to check out the Changelog in the mod folder!

Get the latest version of the mod here!

http://www./download/zdvbo9ysbcf8y64/BackyardRocketryRemastered.zip

This version is compatable with KSP v1.0.2, but should also work with all newer versions. When installing, be sure to remove any older versions of this mod first.

License (Because apparently I need one of those):

1. You are completely free to use the content of this mod in your publicly released videos, streams, images, or other forms of gameplay sharing, as long as you credit the creator (AxleMC131) and/or link back to the mod here.

2. You may not claim or redistribute this mod as your own work under any circumstances. That's called Intellectual Theft, and is punishable by law.

2.5. You are allowed, of course, to take inspiration from the content of this mod for your own creations.

3. You may edit the config files within this mod to suit your own preference; however, you may not then redistribute the edited mod as your own work. (See point 2.)

4. This mod is created for the enjoyment of KSP players, not to make money. If however, you wish to use the content of this mod in a business situation (i.e. Charity streams, paid YouTube videos, etc.), you must credit the creator (AxleMC131) and/or link back to the mod here.

(I think that just about covers all the basics. Anything else, you should be able to use your common sense!)

Edited by AxleMC131
Language filter.

Seems nice, but any pictures?

Yeah, sorry about the lack of images. XD I don't know how to put an image in a post without needing a URL link to it... I'm guessing that I need to have an Imgur account or similar, where I can upload images and link them from there.

I had a look and it's a fun little mod with a lot of potential. I would love to see more parts and maybe even some small science experiments.

One thing I missed was your company under the "Filter by Manufacturer" tab to make it easier to make small rockets. Maybe you could even make a new category for the "Filter by Module" tab. I suggest "model rockets" or something similar.

P.S.- You need a license in the OP and the download. Some guy should be along shortly to demand so. ;)

:blush: Oops... Yeah, just discovered the thread explaining the add-on license. I'll get on that right away. I'm assuming it should be put in the mod folder, so you get it when you download the mod.

- - - Updated - - -

Imgur is easy, and then you can showcase your awesome creation properly. Congrats on the release!

Thanks! I've given it some thought, and I think I will go ahead and make an Imgur account. If I'm thinking of sharing more KSP stuff online, it's gonna come in handy...

- - - Updated - - -

I had a look and it's a fun little mod with a lot of potential. I would love to see more parts and maybe even some small science experiments.

One thing I missed was your company under the "Filter by Manufacturer" tab to make it easier to make small rockets. Maybe you could even make a new category for the "Filter by Module" tab. I suggest "model rockets" or something similar.

Thanks for the feedback! :D I understand what you mean about needing more parts - I think there are only about a dozen that I've made? More science experiments in the 0.313m scale would be nice; I do hope you noticed the 'Duster' Aerosol Scanner under the Science tab though! It's the only existing science experiment so far, and just looks like the ISRU.

About the manufacturer, as I said I'm new to modding and setting up configs, and I'm not sure how I would go about putting "AxleMC131's Backyard Rocketry Co." as a new company under said tab. Any help would be hot. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.- You need a license in the OP and the download. Some guy should be along shortly to demand so. ;)

Having said that. Define "OP"? I'm not an experienced forum user...

- - - Updated - - -

Finally setup. Enjoy the first image of what to expect from this mod!

BqyaUcR

(Click here if image doesn't work: http://imgur.com/BqyaUcR)

Having said that. Define "OP"? I'm not an experienced forum user...

OP means Original Post , the first post on this thread. You can edit that to add and remove stuff. And yeah you'll need to add something like: "This content is released with the blablah licence" or something like that to the OP

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

You can edit that to add and remove stuff. And yeah you'll need to add something like: "This content is released with the blablah licence" or something like that to the OP

Done! :D I think what I've put up covers all the basics... Anything I've missed?

Oh your mod is great! I love small mods like this one! some sorts of contracts for making funds with this will be good. I have experience making contracts but with a plugin called Contract Configurator i dont know I you like the idea.

EDIT: I can confirm it Works with 1.0.4

Edited by CosmoBro

Great start! :)

Took the liberty of fixing your image, it was pointing to the KSP forums themselves.

Ah, thanks heaps. :D I wasn't actually sure what I had done with it, and whether it was only me who couldn't see it... As I said, I'm not experienced with forums at all. How exactly do I get the image to appear like that in the post? I originally used the "Insert Image" button at the top of the text box, and linked the Imgur URL; is there more too it than that?

Either way, thanks! It looks much better now.

There's a confusing mix of imgur.com URLs given as options. You want the one labelled "Direct Link" for the specific image. At the moment it's the second one, URL with filename (ending ".jpg" usually as they're a bit more efficient.}

It's simple enough having an account.

ofX6jwH.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! :D I understand what you mean about needing more parts - I think there are only about a dozen that I've made? More science experiments in the 0.313m scale would be nice; I do hope you noticed the 'Duster' Aerosol Scanner under the Science tab though! It's the only existing science experiment so far, and just looks like the ISRU.

Aw. I didn't notice it. Nice! :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.