[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Bugs and suggestions:

Bugs

• Possible missing secondary node on the flatbed and lack of crew tunnel through the part, though that may be by design. (Figures 1 and 2 for comparison, and 7 for crew tunnel)
  • Missing texture on the bottom of the flatbed, creating an "invisible" bottom in the VAB/SPH and ingame. (no photo, sorry!)
  • Flatbed suffers the same pre-deployed and non-retractable landing legs, either in the SPH/VAB or ingame. (Best seen in Fig. 7)
  • Node spacing/model length suggest the possibility for the utilization of KAS boxes/cradles/KARIBOU resource containers on the top of the flatbed, but the model is not quite long enough and the nodes are not quite
    wide enough, even though the flatbed is wide enough for the spacing. (Fig. 3, 4, 5 and 6)

Here's a few suggestions too:

• Extend the flatbed, and rejigger the nodes a bit. Cool idea either way.
  • Utilize the straight-down landing legs in all parts; the angled ones seem to get in the way of wheel placement. The mix of landing leg types is a bit distracting, but that's just my opinion.
  • Storage Bay and Adaptor Plate could use some limited KAS storage. Not a huge deal really.

Just my $0.02, take it as you may, O God of Mods.

Images for reference.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by sharpspoonful

This looks AAAAAWESOME! Seriously. Awesome.

Now go fix the window lighting on your MKS stuff so it's as cool as it used to be before the remodel broke it all. :P

Already fixed - coming in the next release

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs and suggestions:

Bugs

• Possible missing secondary node on the flatbed and lack of crew tunnel through the part, though that may be by design. (Figures 1 and 2 for comparison, and 7 for crew tunnel)
  • Missing texture on the bottom of the flatbed, creating an "invisible" bottom in the VAB/SPH and ingame. (no photo, sorry!)
  • Flatbed suffers the same pre-deployed and non-retractable landing legs, either in the SPH/VAB or ingame. (Best seen in Fig. 7)
  • Node spacing/model length suggest the possibility for the utilization of KAS boxes/cradles/KARIBOU resource containers on the top of the flatbed, but the model is not quite long enough and the nodes are not quite
    wide enough, even though the flatbed is wide enough for the spacing. (Fig. 3, 4, 5 and 6)

Here's a few suggestions too:

• Extend the flatbed, and rejigger the nodes a bit. Cool idea either way.
  • Utilize the straight-down landing legs in all parts; the angled ones seem to get in the way of wheel placement. The mix of landing leg types is a bit distracting, but that's just my opinion.
  • Storage Bay and Adaptor Plate could use some limited KAS storage. Not a huge deal really.

Just my $0.02, take it as you may, O God of Mods.

Images for reference.

http://imgur.com/a/Axe2d

Good suggestions! The flatbed was actually set up with 0.625m nodes, but I expect it can be slightly stretched to accommodate KIS crates

Praise:

Nice work dude I love how your parts look. :cool:

Bug report:

Landing legs are only working on the pod all the other parts have the legs deployed and they will not retract either in game or in the editor.

Part requests:

A lift and forward propulsion system that matches the aesthetic would be nice, perhaps a modified version of the end plate adapter would be good for lift engines?

A shorter version of the pod without all the gubbins in the aft would also be nice.

This is awesome. It was so cool to see the process of how this was made and it really gives a understanding to how much work truly goes into creating something like this. Thank you for all your work.
Edited by RoverDude

0.0.2 is up (grab it on KerbalStuff for now, it will be on DropBox later this eve)

Added new custom wheels, and attachment nodes to various modules.

Fixed stuck levelers that were missing their animation toggle

Fixed missing 'TechRequired' nodes

Fixed missing colliders on cargo bay door

Added hatch and airlock to the inflatable shelter

Added missing crew tunnel nodes

Fixed texture issue on flatbed modules

Not done but on the list

Extend the Flatbed to accomodate KIS containers, etc. (may be a breaking change)

Add KIS storage to the adapter tanks

Longer term:

IVA's

VTOL engines

MORE BUG REPORTS!

• The wheels seem to not be centered; at speed there is a noticeable wobble, as if the wheel is loose on it's axle. This may just be visual.
  • There is a stutter in the animation sequence when the wheel deploys. The wheel itself stutters back into the frame, shortening its overall length until the animation is complete.

Thats all I've got for now. While I'm digging on the wheels, I feel that they are too tall, and forces the CG too high on the rover. This may become an issue even at low speeds on low gravity surfaces.

Define centered? They have a lot of moving parts, and the COM is fairly low.

The stutter is caused by how KSP is simultaneously dealing with the wheel logic, not much I can do on that one as we have competing animation

Also - new version is up:

Fixed/optimized crew hatches

Added a new Crew Cab part

Extended the Flatbed to accommodate larger payloads

KER_Tank.cfg, FStextureSwitch2, textureDisplayNames has "LiqudFuel" instead of "LiquidFuel".

KER_Adapter.cfg, FSfuelSwitch, initialResourceAmounts first element should be 0,0.

Small nits to pick, but there you go. :)

Bug: There's 2 deploy buttons on the Crew Cab like this:

FfahM53.png

Also are you going to make texture switch for the Multi-Resource Tanks? If so I think the ''Fluid Tanks'' should have the grey plate and name of the resource, like the FTT round golden tanks, and the other square containers should have their yellow part of the texture color coded for each resource, like you do with other FTT containers.

I wanted to compare the packrat vs Karibou ... then I decided, why not both at the same time?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt1jx47h0zc229x/Karibou-Packrat.png?dl=0

I built a basic Karibou, put one of the SC-62 KIS containers on the cargo bay wall and loaded up. Full science rover package ready to rumble while the Karibou ... grazes or something like that. I had to put the science crate and drill into the kerbal's inventory ... otherwise I managed to get everything else into the onboard crate.

EDIT: Worth noting that Bill stayed in the same location for the entire build. No need to go up and down the ramp with parts. Serendipity!

~M~

Edited by Mynar Moonshadow

Great job - this is becoming my favorite rover design base. Just a few things:

1) When using MK3 Spaceplane or Honeybadger cargo bays, the wheels poke through the bottom a little. It can be fixed with a little offset when using the MK3 cargo bay, but the Honeybadger one does not work.

2) What is the recommended spacer for inlining MKS module bases. Not the modified MKS MK2 parts you are hinting at in your preview, but the big landing leg things like the Koala and the two unnicknamed MK2 variants. Something that takes care of the overhanging metal structures, but is CLS-traversable and not too large. The mobile base would fit so well if not for the receded connector nodes.

3) A shame the PackRat does not fit into the cargo bay in its assembled state.