[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Actually, if you go into first-person IVA, the environment suddenly does not look as black as the portrait background suggests. Which seems a bit unprecedented to me.

The IVA itself is fine, but I have no idea what would make the portrait backgrounds black. It was like that in RoverDudes twitch stream, so, it's just a bug with it atm.

Is the IVA even released yet? I still have opaque windows and black portraits, as well (that means no IVA), and there's no mention of it in the release notes.

The IVA is there, you need to have Raster Prop Monitor in order for the windows to be transparent. However, the two small enclosed pods in the Exploration pack don't require RPM to be transparent, so, I have no idea.

Edited by smjjames

RoverDude usually uses his own, slightly buggy, implementation of a transparent pod. His use of RPM now just throws a monkey wrench into what I already thought I understood about the rover guy's brain. It's just another mystery that we may never figure out.

Not that I'm complaining... RPM implementation would be preferable. In some of his other pods I've managed to glitch it so that the IVA gets separated from the craft in non-IVA view, complete with my Kerbal sitting inside it. RPM never did that to me.

Wierd, the radial probe still doesn't show up in the SPH/VAB in my main save, yet it's in the research node where I put it, which was researched a long time ago. Anybody know how to fix it so that it's unlocked in my main game?

I just did the same, but i went to the node and made sure it was unlocked and "purchased". It works

But yeah, radial probe has no tech node defined.

I just did the same, but i went to the node and made sure it was unlocked and "purchased". It works

But yeah, radial probe has no tech node defined.

Actually, looks like the config file might not have been saved when I thought I did. Don't know why I didn't check back if it was actually saved. So, whoops, mistake on my part apparently.

Great mod Roverdude! Been following this one for awhile now and thought i should mention something that hasn't been mentioned yet. On the Cargo Bay, the internal nodes are backwards (except the top one). Checked by attaching various parts to them including the AES structural beam. Is it strange that the first thing i wanted to put in it is the packrat rover? It's way too short tho.

Anyway other bugs/features:

-Rcs control block: when rcs is activated, one thruster is constantly powered (makes a good cruise control!)

-Several parts have what appear to be light up emissive glow stripes, but only three parts actually do. Since these three also use the light module, B.U.L.B. allows the color to change on these. The passenger cab and Shelter change the stripes only while the 'internal' light does not change. The headlights on the crew cab change as do the stripes.

Other 3rd party mod interaction:

-Works great with Nertea's Mark4 Plane system (it's almost like it was designed for it)

On wheels:

- the deploying wheels animation works fine in vab/sph, but not in the field. In the editors, wheels have their suspension fully retracted, while in flight the suspension extends. On lighter vehicles (i.e. Packrat rover) the wheels can launch it when this happens, stock wheels are set so the vehicle 'floats' so as to settle on the wheels.

-the fixed wheels have lower ground clearance which causes the Crew Cab to get stuck on slopes (noticeable on the crawlway).

Suggestions:

-regarding the fixed wheels, it would be nice to have a smaller/lighter crewed pod, the hatch could be the crew tunnel. possibly like the passenger pod, just meant for driving and fewer kerbals.

-ramp for flatbed, if i cant put packrat in the cargo bay, maybe on a flatbed section.

-possible second cargo bay would be one where the ramp opens on the tail end rather than the sides

My favorite use for this mod: Heavy hauling rover

-This mod is great for moving pieces or large sections of planetary bases. I like to use a sort of truck/trailer combo (regular clamp o tron on the lower nodes works great) which is where a smaller cab would help. I like the Karibou better than the Honeybadger!

The bit where wheels have their suspension retracted in the editor is actually a stock thing. If you look at the stock wheels, you'll see the same thing. I agree and have noticed that they make vehicles jump into the air, but I thought that was a stock issue and something that Rover can't do anything about. Only happens on initial launch though.

The 'glow strips' are supposed to be more like reflective strips. Or maybe like the glowing strips on the top of the HoneyBadger cargo pods.

For the RCS problem, do you have MechJeb? If yes, then you probably have 'throttle RCS when engine disabled' on in the smartRCS window.

@smjjames The wheels: yes, I understand that is a stock issue, it's more me testing things out in ways unexpected and reporting back. Also it seems Squad is changing things in the next update and I am curious if that is something they intend to address.

Glow strips (not sure what else to call them): On the Karibou some glow others don't. The Packrat has glowing strips on both the front and back sections, despite the front only having lights. I know its still in development, perhaps it will change once other more major parts are finished.

RCS: I checked on that since I have Mechjeb and that turns out to be the problem. I don't use the smart rcs and usually my designs with rcs also have an engine. Thanks for your help on that.

As far as smaller pods go, I'll test out the probe core and the MK-V command pod thingie this week. Probe core isn't showing in science games even though it has the same requirements as the other parts. I've been playing my science game lately, will try it out in sandbox.

I think I found a bug. I was setting up a fresh install, with just Karibou and no other USI mods installed. The Karibou, from what I can tell, is under the Kolonization tab, but when only Karibou is installed that tab is not created. So I cannot find the parts in the VAB.

I think I found a bug. I was setting up a fresh install, with just Karibou and no other USI mods installed. The Karibou, from what I can tell, is under the Kolonization tab, but when only Karibou is installed that tab is not created. So I cannot find the parts in the VAB.

That's strange ... I have a dev install that I literally just added the latest Karibou zip file to and it shows up fine in Sandbox. I only installed the Karibou zip, KSP-AVC, QuickScroll, and Module Manager 2.6.6 (not from the Karibou zip, but from MM zip). The Freight (empty) and Kolonization tabs both show up with the Karibou parts listed under Kolonization tab. (see below as to why I did a clean install)

~M~

- - - Updated - - -

*** VERY EARLY WIP ***

So ... Anyone who's watched RoverDude's streams in the past 2 weeks may have seen me mention a part I have been working on. I had originally intended to make something completely different, but then RoverDude started making the Karibou and I repurposed my original idea. I have no previous experience with 3D modeling, much less using Unity, Blender, and Gimp. In the past 3 weeks I've gone through the "make a fuel tank first" process to diving into this project. It has been an incredible learning experience and I'm having fun with it.

I'm still not dead set on the overall form factor. I have limited myself to only using the area behind the lightbar until the adapter plate. This is a hair over 1m of space. I wanted it to be roughly equal in height to the lightbar so it wouldn't get destroyed when Jeb decides to pull high G turns.

The overall design goals:

1.) Keep the aesthetic "look" of the Karibou Rover. The part needs to flow with RoverDude's design, not hinder or distract from it.

2.) Make an animated part ... because I like shiny, moving, spinning, flashing lights kinda stuff!

3.) Useful part with a "Kerbalistic" realism to the moving bits.

I thought I'd post my current progress here to see what peoples' thoughts are on it. Do you like it / hate it / think it should die a prolonged agonizing death in a smelter / totally on the wrong track? Keep going or format C: /s/u? Pay no attention to the texturing ... I was given an early holiday gift ( a little Wacom Intuos Art ) and I was playing with it for the first time tonight.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The red/green are just doors that open up to reveal the solar panel dome. The doors will also have solar panels on the reverse side. The blue/purple shaded areas are going to be solar panels that generate power for the built-in battery pack. It's a little difficult to tell from the album however the dome "inflates" after the doors raise enough for it to clear them. As the doors continue rotating, the center section that the solar dome sits on is raised to its' full height. Ideally they will generate power following the stock solar panels rules (distance, generation for the given area, etc) however that's a bit further along the learning curve.

~M~

Edited by Mynar Moonshadow
image details

That's strange ... I have a dev install that I literally just added the latest Karibou zip file to and it shows up fine in Sandbox. I only installed the Karibou zip, KSP-AVC, QuickScroll, and Module Manager 2.6.6 (not from the Karibou zip, but from MM zip). The Freight (empty) and Kolonization tabs both show up with the Karibou parts listed under Kolonization tab. (see below as to why I did a clean install)

~M~

- - - Updated - - -

*** VERY EARLY WIP ***

So ... Anyone who's watched RoverDude's streams in the past 2 weeks may have seen me mention a part I have been working on. I had originally intended to make something completely different, but then RoverDude started making the Karibou and I repurposed my original idea. I have no previous experience with 3D modeling, much less using Unity, Blender, and Gimp. In the past 3 weeks I've gone through the "make a fuel tank first" process to diving into this project. It has been an incredible learning experience and I'm having fun with it.

I'm still not dead set on the overall form factor. I have limited myself to only using the area behind the lightbar until the adapter plate. This is a hair over 1m of space. I wanted it to be roughly equal in height to the lightbar so it wouldn't get destroyed when Jeb decides to pull high G turns.

1.) Keep the aesthetic "look" of the Karibou Rover. The part needs to flow with RoverDude's design, not hinder or distract from it.

2.) Make an animated part ... because I like shiny, moving, spinning, flashing lights kinda stuff!

I thought I'd post my current progress here to see what peoples' thoughts are on it. Do you like it / hate it / think it should die a prolonged agonizing death in a smelter / totally on the wrong track? Keep going or format C: /s/u? Pay no attention to the texturing ... I was given an early holiday gift ( a little Wacom Intuos Art ) and I was playing with it for the first time tonight.

http://imgur.com/a/gFy7T

The red/green are just doors that open up to reveal the solar panel dome. The doors will also have solar panels on the reverse side. The blue/purple shaded areas are going to be solar panels that generate power for the built-in battery pack. It's a little difficult to tell from the album however the dome "inflates" after the doors raise enough for it to clear them. As the doors continue rotating, the center section that the solar dome sits on is raised to its' full height. Ideally they will generate power following the stock solar panels rules (distance, generation for the given area, etc) however that's a bit further along the learning curve.

~M~

Yea I was setting up my son's copy of KSP. Fresh install of 1.0.4. I installed Karibou, BDArmory, MJ, hyperedit. It created the freight tab but not the kolonization tab.

Part looks cool!

*** VERY EARLY WIP ***

~M~

The part looks pretty good. Although the extended panels seem like bait for breakage if the rover rolls over, or as you say, Jeb decides to pull some Gs. In that line of thought, I had also thought, what about continuing to move the door flaps until they are hanging vertical along the sides?

It's not a bad looking design (holding off on further judgement until I see more). I'm curious though why you're going with a dome shape. I get that it provides better coverage for solar access, but, with the flat top of the cab, I've just been putting up flat panels on top. Not sure what advantage you're seeking by competing with the shape. Still, for all that, looks like a decent design. Loving this whole mod so far. Just landed a Watneymobile on Duna over the weekend, unmanned. About to send some kerbals to fix the damage it took when it landed. Gonna be fun.

Is anyone working on a better way to land one of these freight trains than the VTOL system? I get that it works (haven't tried it but it seems solid) I just am not wild about flying the train from Back to the Future 3 onto Duna's surface. Can we get a system that will let you put it in a (presumably big) box and unpack it? Anyone got a good way to bring her down without VTOL?

Is anyone working on a better way to land one of these freight trains than the VTOL system? I get that it works (haven't tried it but it seems solid) I just am not wild about flying the train from Back to the Future 3 onto Duna's surface. Can we get a system that will let you put it in a (presumably big) box and unpack it? Anyone got a good way to bring her down without VTOL?

In the case of Duna, just add parachutes. Or do a vertical landing and keel it over with SAS or RCS... lots of options. I leave landing as an exercise for the user.

RE packing, I suppose with enough KIS storage and some patience, but at 2.5m you'd have just as much issue (if not more) landing and assembling a KIS-packed version tbh.

It's not a bad looking design (holding off on further judgement until I see more). I'm curious though why you're going with a dome shape. I get that it provides better coverage for solar access, but, with the flat top of the cab, I've just been putting up flat panels on top. Not sure what advantage you're seeking by competing with the shape. Still, for all that, looks like a decent design. Loving this whole mod so far. Just landed a Watneymobile on Duna over the weekend, unmanned. About to send some kerbals to fix the damage it took when it landed. Gonna be fun.

VTOL's are awesome. I don't know a better way to land these than VTOL cause VTOL is excellent.

There is already a way to land it "in a box" :D

TnEgfCW.png

Hey Roverdude, just thought I'd say something. The Karibou, while amazing seems to be kind of jerky. When I push "W" it just bucks up wards on one wheel. (I'm only using a 3 part rover. In order A cab, a crew can, and a flatbed. With wheels on the cab and the flat bed)

Hey Roverdude, just thought I'd say something. The Karibou, while amazing seems to be kind of jerky. When I push "W" it just bucks up wards on one wheel. (I'm only using a 3 part rover. In order A cab, a crew can, and a flatbed. With wheels on the cab and the flat bed)

Somehing like this? I did 2 tests one with each set of wheels. If only Jeb could stop doing donuts on the runway