[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

It is a conflict.  The mod in question is CKAN.  Install manually.

Don't be daft.

@srl - the Karibou parts end up in their own category in the VAB, at the bottom. This is not immediately obvious.

I love the idea of this rover. It looks good, its very modular and its a great idea. I know there is a small rover that comes with the Kolonization mod that is a nice idea as well. I do however find it odd it doesn't fit in the rover bay with this mod. Maybe not your intent, but maybe you made it with an artist eye or have something your working on you haven't mentioned. I just think it would be cool if it fit. If you dead set with the current one, maybe add a 2nd longer version? If i had modding experience i would do it myself. Hope you don't feel I am trashing your mods cause I like how unique and useful they are.

1 hour ago, cdsang said:

I love the idea of this rover. It looks good, its very modular and its a great idea. I know there is a small rover that comes with the Kolonization mod that is a nice idea as well. I do however find it odd it doesn't fit in the rover bay with this mod. Maybe not your intent, but maybe you made it with an artist eye or have something your working on you haven't mentioned. I just think it would be cool if it fit. If you dead set with the current one, maybe add a 2nd longer version? If i had modding experience i would do it myself. Hope you don't feel I am trashing your mods cause I like how unique and useful they are.

Honestly it is kind of pointless now.  The mini Rover in MKS only exists to handle the wireless logistics of the MKS mod.  As of now the Karibou command module also can perform this role.  So if you have a karibou at your base you don't even need the MKS mini rover.

I was thinking it could be, or maybe another mini rover, could drive around while the Karibou is locked down and unpacked. It can sit collecting resources like Karbonite, water, ore or whatever other jobs you give it while having a smaller rover drive around possibly scouting for other resources or driving back to the Kolonization set up to manage that. Possibly a small transporter one that fits to run back and forth. Also would make less trips if you could carry a small one with you vs a special trip for another one. If the one that comes with the UKS mod isn't that useful, perhaps have one that does fit. What about the exploration parts perhaps? I know that cab is fairly small and use the Karibou wheels. Just thinking out loud here but maybe there is a simple solution. There are very creative people out there, modders and builders alike. Maybe someone came up with something and got it up on youtube.

The PackRat from the USI Exploration Pack is designed for that niche.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in to the cargo bay either - but it can be stored in KAS storage (and assembled in place) so it's an option.

The problem with the rover bay is that 2.5m is really slightly to small for a Kerbal+seat to fit, so nothing fits there.  It looks nice, but it's the one part of this mod I never use.  (Although, thinking about it...  I should try designing an unmanned explorer rover to go in there - go run experiments remotely, then return to the 'base' rover and harvest the science.)

Has anyone managed to land a Karibou on Eve? I'm having difficulty "hiding" the Karibou wheels behind a heat shield, even the 3.75m heat shield isn't big enough. It seems the aero box of the wheels stays the same even when they're retracted... because you see drag vectors originating from the wheels. So this drag causes excessive torque that eventually flips the vessel and it burns up.

The only way I managed was to stow the wheels in KIS storage (which is also problematic since they take almost 6k volume per wheel, retracted or not), and attaching them after landing.

So it'd be nice if the aero box and KIS volume reflected the size when retracted.

[edit] Managed to avoid the drag behind a 3.75m shield by setting PhysicsSignificance = 1. However they still have reentry heating and explode. What's weird is that they fit inside a 3.75 fairing, but a 3.75m heat shield doesn't protect them... So eventually I added a KIS volumeOverride = 1250 (1m x 1m x 1.25m should be about right), at least that way I only need the 6k container, then land on the struts and manually attach wheels afterwards.

Or is there a way to modify the part occlusion behavior using Module Manager somehow? The XYZ Offset arrows in the editor are in a funky place well away from the part as well, maybe that's the problem?

Edited by jd284

1 hour ago, dark jam said:

I downloaded the mod but nothing is showing up in the game i have tried taking the data out of the folder but i still could not find it

The parts show up in their own category on the left side of the VAB.  Otherwise post a screenshot of your gamedata and umbraspaceindustries folders.

2 minutes ago, dark jam said:

ok here are my folders the caribou is called game data should I change that?

Wait how to you insert pics from you desktop

Sorry Im a noob to the forums 

setup a free account with a photo service (i like imgur.com as it is so easy to use)

take screenshot, paste to imgur

Post imgur link for screenshot here.

50 minutes ago, dark jam said:

Thanks http://imgur.com/4WPeSNh and http://imgur.com/DbCdO5d

That right?

4WPeSNh.png 

DbCdO5d.png

It is a little hard to tell what I am looking at because they are not full screens of your finder, but it seems like you have nested gamedata folders.  You should never have a situation where you have gamedata\gamedata

If a mod zip file has a gamedata folder, then you copy the CONTENTS of that gamedata folder into your KSP gamedata folder.  Also never change the folder structures around.  Likely your hyperedit is installed incorrectly as well, as it also has a gamedata folder at the root of the zip.  I don't know about the PEW folder (not familiar with what that mod is) but I suspect it could be wrong as well.

This will look a little different as it is windows but it should give you the idea.

XW6hJO1.png

4 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

It is a little hard to tell what I am looking at because they are not full screens of your finder, but it seems like you have nested gamedata folders.  You should never have a situation where you have gamedata\gamedata

If a mod zip file has a gamedata folder, then you copy the CONTENTS of that gamedata folder into your KSP gamedata folder.  Also never change the folder structures around.  Likely your hyperedit is installed incorrectly as well, as it also has a gamedata folder at the root of the zip.  I don't know about the PEW folder (not familiar with what that mod is) but I suspect it could be wrong as well.

This will look a little different as it is windows but it should give you the idea.

XW6hJO1.png

Thanks man that did it 

by the way pew and hyper edit work fine

39 minutes ago, dark jam said:

Thanks man that did it 

by the way pew and hyper edit work fine

Pew is luckily installed fine (I looked at the zip).  Hyperedit is not installed right but you just got lucky because it does not contain any parts.

Just now, dark jam said:

Yay

So what is the proper way?

Same as the USI mods.  In the hyperedit.zip file it has gamedata\Kerbaltek.

The Kerbaltek folder would then be copied into your gamedata folder so it shows up like in my screenshot above.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Same as the USI mods.  In the hyperedit.zip file it has gamedata\Kerbaltek.

The Kerbaltek folder would then be copied into your gamedata folder so it shows up like in my screenshot above.

Oh i just realized that

I don't know if this was mentioned before since I haven't read the entire thread:

There is something goofy going on with the Karibou extendable wheels when they are mounted at angles, that is to say, rotated forward or backward at the mounting point. They barely roll under power or not and bounce oddly when steering is attempted. I've even seen the wheels flip around intermittently.

I can send you a craft file that demonstrates this if that would help.