[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

1 minute ago, Glaran K'erman said:

@goldenpsp Ahhh, I see what you're referring to now. I have probably experienced the same thing and never really noticed, you're right it is very subtle. 

Ive had it pretty pronounced as well.  enough that I've had a karibou jiggle walk itself right outside of rover logistics range.  Even with only the kab and back legs down.

1 hour ago, Glaran K'erman said:

Well there's your problem. 4x warp will break most craft, especially on the ground or in atmospheric flight. Not saying you should't be able to 4x warp for a while but how long is "a longer period"?

In order to reproduce bugs more or less 100% of the time, sometimes one has to exaggerate the conditions where they occur.
Rest assured, it happens without timewarp as well, it just takes longer and is less reliable.

A longer period is something between 3 and 10 minutes. 

Also note that while it was "subtle" in @goldenpsp's case, in my case it tore the Karibou apart. There's something about the ISRU that makes the whole thing less stable.

37 minutes ago, damerell said:

I observed this with legs down. I'm afraid it was some time ago when Karibou was still very new and I didn't report it at the time.

Same goes for me, this thing has been bugging me (heh) long ago. I'm reporting now because I finally have a reliable way of reproducing with a stock+karibou craft.

Edited by Kobymaru

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Ive had it pretty pronounced as well.  enough that I've had a karibou jiggle walk itself right outside of rover logistics range.  Even with only the kab and back legs down.

Ouch that's rough.

49 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

In order to reproduce bugs more or less 100% of the time, sometimes one has to exaggerate the conditions where they occur.
Rest assured, it happens without timewarp as well, it just takes longer and is less reliable.

A longer period is something between 3 and 10 minutes. 

Also note that while it was "subtle" in @goldenpsp's case, in my case it tore the Karibou apart. There's something about the ISRU that makes the whole thing less stable.

Yea that would exceed my rule for 4x warp by quite a bit, but clearly it shows up in non-timewarp situations so the point is moot I guess :)

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

What I will very likely do is just remove the rear stabilizers then if this is something that only manifests with the command cab.  Need to update the model anyway to have some larger ladder/airlock colliders

If you are updating the model anyway, can I make a suggestion to have an animated ladder fold down from the front?  (I'm visualizing just one or two steps, that fold forward to just below the current rung, and stow against the underside of the cab.  Just a bit of a 'beard' for the cab, but it'd make it a lot easier to grab on.)

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

What I will very likely do is just remove the rear stabilizers then if this is something that only manifests with the command cab.  Need to update the model anyway to have some larger ladder/airlock colliders

I wouldn't be so sure that it's only the command cab, I will check this evening when I'm home.

21 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The multihub have gear colliders in scale 1, crewcab and command in scale 0.25, can be one import error from unity for the different scale ?

Edited by Badsector

Hello Rover dude 2 things. 1 is I wanted to say thanks for all your great content in ksp I enjoy seeing what you come up with and how you so it on your streams 2 is I've noticed  kerb all stuff site is down I've been trying to get Karibou  and a few other mods but they via kerbal  stuff site and won't work I also tried with ckan  with no luck is there a way I can access these mods another way? 

5 hours ago, davidy12 said:

@RoverDude: you might wanna re-upload all your stuff to Curse.

RIP Kerbalstuff 2014-2016 :(

"Farewell Kerbalstuff, and we thank you."

I've been trying to get a few mods from github but all I see is the actual code is there any easy way for me to get the mods thru gethub? I'm sorry I'm not very good with coding and stuff so in wouldn't know 

6 minutes ago, chevyrob420 said:

I also tried with ckan  with no luck

What does that mean? What happens?

6 minutes ago, chevyrob420 said:

I've been trying to get a few mods from github but all I see is the actual code is there any easy way for me to get the mods thru gethub? I'm sorry I'm not very good with coding and stuff so in wouldn't know 

You don't need to do any coding, GitHub often has pages with precompiled releases. Just click on "releases" in each project. In the case of the Karibou, it's here: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karibou/releases

I was watching @RoverDude on KSPTV last night when he mentioned the possibility of working on a future rover that would fit inside the Karibou's cargo bay.  I decided to fool around and see what I could come up with, using currently available parts and I now have my new favorite mini rover.  Uses the AES Pod, the PackRat's wheels and mini-batteries (which I think I got from the sounding rockets.)  Due to the use of the not-rockomax micro nodes, there's a lot of attachment points, for things like a 2nd AES Pod for passengers, or DERP solar panels.  Would be easier to build if the AES Pod had attachment points on the side (had to use tweak scaled radial attachment points) -- and getting the under-slung docking port to the right height was a little finicky, but it works -- it can re-dock, at least during testing on the runway.  

Next stop, minmus...  I suspect I may need to add some kind of SAS or RCS thruster to keep it on the ground there though....

Edited by mcortez

Can you add a drill module? Same form factor as the Standard size cargo module (4 leg) not the short 2 leg would I think be realistically enough volume for atleast 4 drills.

also: how to deliver the MKS surface modules like the pioneer and kerbitat using this rover?

Edited by DarthVader

1 hour ago, DarthVader said:

Can you add a drill module? Same form factor as the Standard size cargo module (4 leg) not the short 2 leg would I think be realistically enough volume for atleast 4 drills.

also: how to deliver the MKS surface modules like the pioneer and kerbitat using this rover?

The beauty is that Roverdude designed the parts to fit together.  Here is a quick example

tbuzyNO.png

On 2/15/2016 at 9:40 AM, Badsector said:

The multihub have gear colliders in scale 1, crewcab and command in scale 0.25, can be one import error from unity for the different scale ?

Sorry not quite following

On 2/15/2016 at 1:57 PM, chevyrob420 said:

Hello Rover dude 2 things. 1 is I wanted to say thanks for all your great content in ksp I enjoy seeing what you come up with and how you so it on your streams 2 is I've noticed  kerb all stuff site is down I've been trying to get Karibou  and a few other mods but they via kerbal  stuff site and won't work I also tried with ckan  with no luck is there a way I can access these mods another way? 

You're very welcome :)  The best place to get my stuff (in general) is here:  http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

On 2/15/2016 at 5:28 PM, mcortez said:

I was watching @RoverDude on KSPTV last night when he mentioned the possibility of working on a future rover that would fit inside the Karibou's cargo bay.  I decided to fool around and see what I could come up with, using currently available parts and I now have my new favorite mini rover.  Uses the AES Pod, the PackRat's wheels and mini-batteries (which I think I got from the sounding rockets.)  Due to the use of the not-rockomax micro nodes, there's a lot of attachment points, for things like a 2nd AES Pod for passengers, or DERP solar panels.  Would be easier to build if the AES Pod had attachment points on the side (had to use tweak scaled radial attachment points) -- and getting the under-slung docking port to the right height was a little finicky, but it works -- it can re-dock, at least during testing on the runway.  

Next stop, minmus...  I suspect I may need to add some kind of SAS or RCS thruster to keep it on the ground there though....

Very nice!

1 hour ago, DarthVader said:

I think @Mynar Moonshadow might be working on one of those :D

And yep, @goldenpsp is correct - the Karibou was actually designed to be a platform for the MKS stuff :)

1 minute ago, DarthVader said:

how is the module moving around accomplished? Using a docking port and KAS?

Don't understand.  In my picture the pioneer module is part of my karibou, which is in itself a rover, so I just drive it around.

2 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Oh, I thought you could use the rovers to pick up and move and put down modules?

I guess you could, but for delivering the modules alone it's far easier to use the handy skycrane pieces Roverdude added to MKS.

7 hours ago, DarthVader said:

Oh, I thought you could use the rovers to pick up and move and put down modules?

You could use Infernal Robotics to actually put a working crane on a Karibou flatbed segment, or attach a MKS module to the rear of a Karibou with docking ports, or you can even go all MacGyver and use KIS/KAS Pipes or Winches to drag modules around with a Karibou.  Heck, bigger Karibous might even be able to drag whole bases around on Minmus, although I suspect the bases would probably get twisted enough that they'd start breaking apart.

19 minutes ago, damerell said:

Feel free to call me an idiot if this exists already, but an MKS-to-Karibou docking arrangement would be useful.

Define docking arrangement - they are already 100% compatible (i.e. the attachment nodes, distance from ground, etc. are already perfectly aligned).

FlatBed why you no passable?

Spoiler

@PART[KER_FlatBed]    
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
        passable = true
    }
}

Now you passable! :wink: