[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but while I absolutely love this rover, trying to attach the wheels is a difficult task. They just don't want to snap into place and I do find that to be a point of frustration in what is otherwise a stellar mod. I muddle through since the results are worth it but I wonder if it is something that you could fix?

I have Parkinson's so sometimes trying to keep my hands steady while I attach thing can be a bigger challenge.

Edited by thesmokindeist

6 minutes ago, thesmokindeist said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but while I absolutely love this rover, trying to attach the wheels is a difficult task. They just don't want to snap into place and I do find that to be a point of frustration in what is otherwise a stellar mod. I muddle through since the results are worth it but I wonder if it is something that you could fix?

I have Parkinson's so sometimes trying to keep my hands steady while I attach thing can be a bigger challenge.

In what way? FYI the easiest way to get them attached is to hold Alt while attaching so they can only node attach.  I find that way they snap to the correct node easily

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

In what way? FYI the easiest way to get them attached is to hold Alt while attaching so they can only node attach.  I find that way they snap to the correct node easily

I'll give that a try when i put one together. i was planning on building one soon--perhaps today. If I'm still having troubles, I'll let you guys know.. Thanks!

---

Update:

Ok that makes life much easier. I think I need a new command cheat sheet. Does anyone know of a current one that can be easily printed?

Edited by thesmokindeist

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I'll be honest and I say I don't. Holding Mod makes it possible, not easy. I'm not clear on why it's so difficult in some installs and not in others.

Hi @RoverDude I found a little issue with the Passenger Cab, in flight view there is no portraits for Kerbals inside it.

Maybe it is a design choice, the Passenger Cab holds 10 crew members and it can be a pain to search them for Jeb ?

If it is an issue I can make a pull request on github, easy fix : just add an INTERNAL module to the part.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.10.2016 at 9:10 PM, goldenpsp said:

FYI the easiest way to get them attached is to hold Alt while attaching so they can only node attach.  I find that way they snap to the correct node easily

Thanks! I was *this* close to self combust from trying the last 15 minutes to place the wheels

Since latest update I

1) cannot renter the Karibou from the front (existing build, before latest update) and

2) the Karibou Radial Probe is not visible in the VAB/SPH

EDIT: I started a new game and the Radial Probe IS visible, but not for my existing game.  Anyway I can fix this without having to start again?

Edited by funkcanna

The Karibou has always been tricky to enter from the front, but I'm not having any more issues than usual with the latest update.  (EasyBoard makes the process much simpler - my normal process these days is to toggle boarding with EasyBoard and jump in.)

31 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The Karibou has always been tricky to enter from the front, but I'm not having any more issues than usual with the latest update.  (EasyBoard makes the process much simpler - my normal process these days is to toggle boarding with EasyBoard and jump in.)

I too use Easyboard, but the front of the Karibou (on my existing, pre-latest update save) doesnt work as an entry point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.11.2016 at 5:23 AM, funkcanna said:

2) the Karibou Radial Probe is not visible in the VAB/SPH

I had this happen with pretty much most Karibou parts. Then I noticed that apparently the bulk of them (pretty much all the ones that went missing from my save) are now located in other, much more late-game tech nodes when CTT is installed - which franky, makes much more sense and was long overdue. Just in case you haven't figured this out by now, check the "Unmanned Tech" node, that's where the radial probe is for me now.

• 4 weeks later...

Built out a Karibou with the cargo ramp, attached an Akita to the inside roof with a small docking port.  Take it to runway, Put Jeb in Akita, detach from docking port and fire it up. Wheels spin, but Akita will not roll out of the cargo bay and down the ramp.  Tweaked friction and traction to five on all Akita wheels, it still will not roll out of cargo bay.  Wheels just spin. 

Bug or am I missing a step?

3 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

Built out a Karibou with the cargo ramp, attached an Akita to the inside roof with a small docking port.  Take it to runway, Put Jeb in Akita, detach from docking port and fire it up. Wheels spin, but Akita will not roll out of the cargo bay and down the ramp.  Tweaked friction and traction to five on all Akita wheels, it still will not roll out of cargo bay.  Wheels just spin. 

Bug or am I missing a step?

Could you post a pic?  It's possible you've encountered an unknown bug, but it's also possible your Akita is stuck.  Hard to tell without looking at things.

(I'll admit I usually push the Akita out of the bay by hand...)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Could you post a pic?  It's possible you've encountered an unknown bug, but it's also possible your Akita is stuck.  Hard to tell without looking at things.

(I'll admit I usually push the Akita out of the bay by hand...)

Hey D.  Well, I first tried reversing the direction of the wheels based on trying to observe their direction and that didn't work.  Then I went back to the hangar and reset the wheels so the square bracket was oriented vertically with the "small" end up on each one.  This did the trick.  Drives right out of the bay and around the block just fine.

• 2 weeks later...