[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

1.1 Pre-Release is up!

0.2.0 - TBD
-----------
KSP 1.1 Compatibility

Download from GitHub: https://github.com/BobPalmer/karibou/releases

Hey RoverDude, I think the wheel attachment points on the Karibou are a bit buggy. They refuse to snap to the node unless I hold alt, and even then, they need to be manually rotated and positioned to fit correctly. I'm using the latest version on the KSP pre-release version 1.1 running 64-bit.

Cheers for all your work, I can't get enough of it!

4 hours ago, LemonSkin said:

Hey RoverDude, I think the wheel attachment points on the Karibou are a bit buggy. They refuse to snap to the node unless I hold alt, and even then, they need to be manually rotated and positioned to fit correctly. I'm using the latest version on the KSP pre-release version 1.1 running 64-bit.

Cheers for all your work, I can't get enough of it!

That's normal behavior for things with surface and node attach.  And you're welcome :)

I'm using the 1.1 Pre-Release and I'm trying to use the S.A.B.R.E. engine for the first time.  Can someone post a picture of how it's supposed to be mounted?  I probably just need more sleep, but I can't seem to figure out what the best way is to mount the thing.

It doesn't seem to want to surface attach to anything and the two attachment nodes on it seem awkward to use on the Karibou, or on anything for that matter.

Thanks!

First post, so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I'm playing the 1.1 early release, and downloaded the mods... yesterday? Saturday? Let's say recently. On multiple occasions using The Mk V logistics rover and this morning with the Karibou rover, I have an issue when switching from the Space Center to a Kerbal that is on EVA, on the ground, on the grass, near KSC, near a rover on the grass. When the Kerbal is loaded (and it has to load, the quick-switch between vessels doesn't do this) the other craft "bounce". The logistics rover bounces ~100m into the air, so of course it blows up. The Karibou bounced ~10m and just turned over. I'm playing on Hard and can't save / quickload to make a save to reproduce from that game. Of course this is pretty frustrating to have a rover turn... over.. on hard but I'm trying to report a bug here? 

I just created a vanilla (no mods) sandbox game and tried to reproduce this bouncing issues with a few different types of stock rovers and a Kerbal on EVA near KSC. The "bounce" of the vessels does happen, but it's only a small amount, visually it looks more like 10cm. I can't reproduce a bounce of the same magnitude I see with the modded rovers. The bounce is most pronounced with brakes locked and landing gear supporting "some" of the weight off the wheels. Since I can't get a save with the "big bounce" on vanilla, I'm posting this "bug" here. 

One further item from trying to reproduce this: I thought it might be related to how the modded wheels can retract, and the stock ones can't (I don't think). That's why I tried having both the wheels and something structural on the grass at the same time. In some cases with the Karibou I had the wheels retracted and the gear down. With the Mk V Logistics rover I had the wheels retracted and the rover sitting on its base on the ground. In that case the wheels were very near the ground. The last time (this morning) the Logistics rover had wheels extended and the rest of the craft was up off the ground. In all cases the lighter craft bounced high enough to be damaged. 

I did do a search to see if this was described anywhere else but came up blank. If I could reproduce it in vanilla I'd report it to Squad. Obviously we're "testing" but having a rover randomly flip over from rest in Hard mode is... not fun. 

35 minutes ago, McHendrik said:

First post, so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I'm playing the 1.1 early release, and downloaded the mods... yesterday? Saturday? Let's say recently. On multiple occasions using The Mk V logistics rover and this morning with the Karibou rover, I have an issue when switching from the Space Center to a Kerbal that is on EVA, on the ground, on the grass, near KSC, near a rover on the grass. When the Kerbal is loaded (and it has to load, the quick-switch between vessels doesn't do this) the other craft "bounce". The logistics rover bounces ~100m into the air, so of course it blows up. The Karibou bounced ~10m and just turned over. I'm playing on Hard and can't save / quickload to make a save to reproduce from that game. Of course this is pretty frustrating to have a rover turn... over.. on hard but I'm trying to report a bug here? 

I just created a vanilla (no mods) sandbox game and tried to reproduce this bouncing issues with a few different types of stock rovers and a Kerbal on EVA near KSC. The "bounce" of the vessels does happen, but it's only a small amount, visually it looks more like 10cm. I can't reproduce a bounce of the same magnitude I see with the modded rovers. The bounce is most pronounced with brakes locked and landing gear supporting "some" of the weight off the wheels. Since I can't get a save with the "big bounce" on vanilla, I'm posting this "bug" here. 

One further item from trying to reproduce this: I thought it might be related to how the modded wheels can retract, and the stock ones can't (I don't think). That's why I tried having both the wheels and something structural on the grass at the same time. In some cases with the Karibou I had the wheels retracted and the gear down. With the Mk V Logistics rover I had the wheels retracted and the rover sitting on its base on the ground. In that case the wheels were very near the ground. The last time (this morning) the Logistics rover had wheels extended and the rest of the craft was up off the ground. In all cases the lighter craft bounced high enough to be damaged. 

I did do a search to see if this was described anywhere else but came up blank. If I could reproduce it in vanilla I'd report it to Squad. Obviously we're "testing" but having a rover randomly flip over from rest in Hard mode is... not fun. 

So, this appears to be a known issue. I came up blank when searching (via Google) but when I went to the bug tracker for 1.1 and just started scanning subjects I found several.

1d6bbf86ca752bfec69bd2932613de4c?rating= Updated by Arsonide about 17 hours ago

• Status changed from Being Worked On to Ready to Test
  • Target version changed from Build 1180 to Next Prerelease
  • % Done changed from 30 to 80

I have re-exported all wheels with proper collision layers, that should fix this issue, please give it a go in the next build and let me know

I believe the next build might fix this. People have reproduced the problem with stock vanilla.

False alarm... 

I am trying to build something like this...  however having it be all one piece maces it far to long to be usable.

any way to get a piece to replace the docking ports I am using as a trailer hitch with a flexible part, thus making a real trailer hitch?  The caveat being that it must be "hitch and un-hitch" capable while driving.  thus I could drop the trailer and the tractor as separate bits, then hitch them up on the surface.

also, another request.   you have this short wheeled section I am using on the trailer to give it wheels, could you make this part also in a flatbed version to match the flatbed part on the tractor?  or use a "model switch" to make the various parts be switchable on the fly from flatbed to warehouse to crew... to maybe liquid tank etc.   this would keep the part count down but allow far more configuration options.

Screenshot%202016-04-06%2022.51.04.png

For instance, I would like to build this, but with all the rear sections as flatbed.

Screenshot%202016-04-07%2001.06.47.png

Edited by Bit Fiddler

4 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I am trying to build something like this...  however having it be all one piece maces it far to long to be usable.

any way to get a piece to replace the docking ports I am using as a trailer hitch with a flexible part, thus making a real trailer hitch?  The caveat being that it must be "hitch and un-hitch" capable while driving.  thus I could drop the trailer and the tractor as separate bits, then hitch them up on the surface.

also, another request.   you have this short wheeled section I am using on the trailer to give it wheels, could you make this part also in a flatbed version to match the flatbed part on the tractor?  or use a "model switch" to make the various parts be switchable on the fly from flatbed to warehouse to crew... to maybe liquid tank etc.   this would keep the part count down but allow far more configuration options.

Screenshot%202016-04-06%2022.51.04.png

You mean something like this?  Roverdude teased this last month, but I don't know if we got any details.  It could be buried in one of the many USI threads.

Aside from that there's Infernal Robotics which has a free-rotating plate but iirc it still has issues with using an IR part and docking. You could also use a KAS wench as the hitch. Just have a very small amount of wire extended so it's flexible.

Thought of KAS but the issue there is there is no positive control.  as in when I slow down the trailer will just slam in to me...  and as for IR their parts as you say cant have a docking port on them, so while they do have a "trailer hitch" part it must be assembled prior to launch, not in the field.

I just need a modder like Bob, who excels in his designs to make a custom made job...  assuming it is possible within the confines of KSP and the game engine.  I am going to try my luck with the IR part and maybe a robo strut or what ever they call them that allows a strut to be connected "in flight" to see if that will make a solid link to the hitch part.  All of this will have to wait until 1.1 compatibility however, as I am about to dump my 105 install and go to 1.1 with both feet.

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find a readme or anything that covered this.

How do you decide what goes into the cargo compartments?  The context menu only gives me an Enable/Disable Warehouse option.  It defaults to carrying supplies and I can't seem to find a way to change it.

This is in 1.1.

And that option seems to be missing with 1.1 and the latest Firespitter, from what I've seen in the other threads.  Reverting to the previous version of Firespitter has been said to fix it - I'm not sure what other implications that might have.

(This from someone who's not running 1.1, but has been following many of the USI threads, where this same issue has popped up a couple of times.)

On 3/30/2016 at 3:42 AM, RoverDude said:

Snip :)

Hey @RoverDude Love your mods, today with 1209 roll out I found an issue with the karibou, none of its components with landing legs are deployable anymore, in the Vab/Sph they auto deploy out of the part menu and cannot be right clicked on to retract/extend/toggle, if the parts have other functions they still appear, but not the landing leg interface. Thanks for your time, and cant wait for the malamute!

P.S. I do not get any error message in debug, and I uninstalled all other mods before posting to double check compatibility issues.

35konwl.png

2irumjc.png

Nope, the Malamute (actually not sure on the spelling) is a brand new rover that hasn't been released yet.  It's based on a rover from the movie Last Days On Mars which in turn is based on one of many NASA rover designs.

The Karibou is directly based off a different NASA rover design and is quite a bit larger. Follow RoverDude on KSPTV (twitch) on Sunday evenings, which is where he is putting the finishing touches on the new rover before releasing it.