[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Using the wheels that are deployable.

Use the smaller ones (non-deployable, narrower).

- - - Updated - - -

Side note - the wheels assume you probably have a fairly heavy load on the Karibou - so if you're running unladen, expect doughnuts (and you probably want to turn off the motors on some if you don't need the extra power).

The part looks pretty good. Although the extended panels seem like bait for breakage if the rover rolls over, or as you say, Jeb decides to pull some Gs. In that line of thought, I had also thought, what about continuing to move the door flaps until they are hanging vertical along the sides?

I considered this while making the part. I felt that the doors would just block the side of the cab for being used to surface attach things like science instruments. Hopefully Bill would explain to Jeb that he really shouldn't go driving around with the system extended since it only takes a few seconds to close it back up!

<snip> It's not a bad looking design (holding off on further judgement until I see more). I'm curious though why you're going with a dome shape. I get that it provides better coverage for solar access, but, with the flat top of the cab, I've just been putting up flat panels on top. Not sure what advantage you're seeking by competing with the shape. Still, for all that, looks like a decent design. </snip>

As you noted, the dome shape gives better access to sunlight not directly overhead vs using the large panels from asteroid day for example. The original design idea calls for an antenna mast to rise up out of the center of the dome and possibly giving it probe core functionality to make VTOL operations easier. I hadn't decided if I just wanted the entire dome to continue upwards until it reached a certain point (something like this ) or leave it as a dome at the base and raise a mast from there. I simply stopped the modeling at this point to check a few things and fix my mistakes. I took a couple of screenshots for reference, then decided why not post it up here and get some feedback. It is my first "real" part so the odds are it will never make it out into the wild. I was even toying with the idea of having the top of the mast have an attachment node so folks could use their own antenna of choice on top but I can forsee several issues (having a moving attachment node for instance) that I don't know if I would be able to address properly given my current skill set. Still having fun with making it, so who knows what will happen! :)

~M~

Edited by Mynar Moonshadow

Always remember to turn your reaction wheels off on a small rover, too! The karibou's gyros are VERY strong, so that can cause some serious instability in turns. Heck, on the Mun I can get it to hold a two-wheeled "handstand" using just the reaction wheels!

Not sure if this is an actual issue or tweaking issue. I have noticed often my Karibou creations can tend to "hop" around slightly when legs are deployed. Not big hops but just kind of more slide around. It seems more when I have a MKS module present. I suspect it may have to do with slight differences between the colliders for the various legs so they are sitting slightly off from each other.

Ok an odd issue. I'm not sure if it is just an oddity or I'm doing something wrong. I was attempting to recreate the karibou base you posted on the MKS forums. When I connect a stow pack to the sides of the kontainers I get different results on each side. As you can see in the picture, on the left side the surface attach puts the pack so it is floating in space. However on the right side (harder to see in the picture, the surface attach embeds the pack into the kontainer.

bQEuGoU.png

Doing an in-field repair of the rover after it was damaged on landing was one of the more satisfying moments I've had in KSP. (And I've had a lot).

boPS74n.png

First Kerbal-ed landing on Duna

USI and KAS are great mods. Keep up the good work.

Just picked up the latest version, looking good :)

I see you've halved the capacity of the Karibou Wheeled Storage to 10k (for most cargo)

But, the other two inline storage units (Karibou Wheeled Storage (Short) and Karibou Adapter Plate) seem to have been halved as well, down to 2.5k and 1.25k respectively.

Given their apparent volumes from the model size the Wheeled Storage is 4 squares long, the Wheeled Storage (Short) is 2 squares long and the Adapter Plate is 1 square long (the white tile design on the upper storage bay) did the two smaller units need to be halved from their initial values?

The radial Karibou Cargo Tank has a capacity of 2.5k and is roughly the same volume as the Adapter Plate.

Chiming in on this...

Several of the parts have mismatched mass values (the dry mass vs the FSFuelSwitch basePartMass). Also the adapter plate and short wheel bay seem to be too heavy. In summary:

[TABLE="width: 637"]
[TR]
[TD]Part[/TD]
[TD]Volume[/TD]
[TD]Mass[/TD]
[TD]MassFS[/TD]
[TD]Depth[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kontainer (2.5m)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20,000[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.20[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.20[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Full Wheel Bay[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10,000[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.00[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.00[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Short Wheel Bay[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2,500[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.50[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.50[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD]Storage should be 5000 by depth. Mass should be 1.0 to match full wheel bay[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Adapter[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1,250[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.00[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.65[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TD]Storage should be 2500 by depth. Mass should be 0.5 to match full wheel bay[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cargo Crate[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.40[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]N/A[/TD]
[TD]Equivalent to 1.25m Kontainer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cargo Tank[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.00[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]N/A[/TD]
[TD]Mass should be 0.4 to match FSFuelSwitch and crate values[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Doing an in-field repair of the rover after it was damaged on landing was one of the more satisfying moments I've had in KSP. (And I've had a lot).

http://i.imgur.com/boPS74n.png

First Kerbal-ed landing on Duna

USI and KAS are great mods. Keep up the good work.

Hey! I use the Rodan for my DAV as well. You use Mars Direct or Semi-direct tactic ("The Martian")?

Went semi-direct. Got a mothership (the Orca) in orbit ready to take my boys home when the time comes. Landed a Rodan with a full tank to do the ascent. 3 unmanned landings, one manned. Just finished a 70km drive into the rift valley. Tomorrow I'm gonna make my turn North and head for the crater at the end and inflate a pathfinder base at the face.

Nerdvana!

Guys, anyone having issues with a drifting Karibou rover? I built a relatively small one, for testing (15-18T) and it slides around like on ice. Anyone experienced that?

with the legs? I have with legs. My guess is slight variations with the colliders on the various feet. Even with just the karibou pod legs in front and say a multi hub legs at the back it will slide sometimes.

Would be interesting to look into integrating the auto-balancing landing legs mod with these legs.

On another note, I finally managed to get a Karibou wheel to function... sorta... using the KFModuleWheel & KFWheel modules. That is to say, I got the wheel to not act like a black of cement. That said, it doesn't really act like a wheel either. I had little trouble figuring out how to convert other wheels over, but these Karibou wheels have a bit of a confusing hierarchy to their make up. It's really throwing my brain into loops.