[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

12 hours ago, Pak said:

Some progress.

I'm using the current wing textures for the B-2 stuff, so I plugged in the new delta and rudder. Not too shabby.

In new stuff I put together the basics for the landing skids and got them working in game. These will probably change quite a bit as it's just the basic shapes needed to animate them. The rear skids are a radial attach part and the front skid is built into the cockpit.

@notJebKerman This one is getting its own cargo bay airlock with some other features.

It looks great! Can't wait to fly it (and, since I'm using KLF, not risk to kill Kerbals on every launch). 

Btw, is IUS still planned? Deployenment mechanism would be great for BDB's Centaur and Transtage, since they were originally meant to fly on the Shuttle too. 

On 9/16/2017 at 5:18 PM, Pak said:

Some progress.

I'm using the current wing textures for the B-2 stuff, so I plugged in the new delta and rudder. Not too shabby.

3lKRud2.png?1

In new stuff I put together the basics for the landing skids and got them working in game. These will probably change quite a bit as it's just the basic shapes needed to animate them. The rear skids are a radial attach part and the front skid is built into the cockpit.

VIaGR8c.png?1

BvlSDl8.png?1

@notJebKerman This one is getting its own cargo bay airlock with some other features.

If you need a tester I'd be happy to provide my services. :) If only so I can combine with this with my new shuttle to make a proper Shuttle II

https://imgur.com/gallery/C84ff

Also as a side question, is there reasoning  behind keep the OMS shoulders as a combined part rather than having them be single? I imagine it has something to do with maintaining the base RCS balance in conjunction with the nose, but at the same time I find myself wishing I could split the two if I chose to to make a more arbitrary OMS configuration similar to how I did this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/NWNJx

Versus just clipping them into the fuselage.

19 hours ago, G'th said:

Also as a side question, is there reasoning  behind keep the OMS shoulders as a combined part rather than having them be single? I imagine it has something to do with maintaining the base RCS balance in conjunction with the nose, but at the same time I find myself wishing I could split the two

IIRC, it's because of the way symmetry works in KSP. Because one OMS is not a symmetrical piece on its own, the one on the other side would be backwards (the RCS part that sticks out would both face left, for instance). Similar to how the tiled wings don't mirror properly without using firespitter.

Additionally, your FAR shuttle's wings are far too big. I think you're overdesigning. IRL the shuttle had a low glide ratio of a "flying brick."

10 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

IIRC, it's because of the way symmetry works in KSP. Because one OMS is not a symmetrical piece on its own, the one on the other side would be backwards (the RCS part that sticks out would both face left, for instance). Similar to how the tiled wings don't mirror properly without using firespitter.

Additionally, your FAR shuttle's wings are far too big. I think you're overdesigning. IRL the shuttle had a low glide ratio of a "flying brick."

Makes sense, though i still wish I had the single one, or even just a split of two parts so that theres two parts instead of just the one. But thats just my nitpick. If I had the ability I'd just split them myself and be done with it.

And that would certainly make sense given the performance I'm seeing. Thing is able to pull it itself out of a 70 degree dive without shearing its wings off at near Mach 1 and my initial tests have forced me to basically make it so that once it touches down it has to activate a number of things to stop from taking off again. 

But at the same time I was mostly just eyeballing it to get the shape right relative to the fuselage. I imagine if I play with it I can scale down the wings and still have it stay stable, which is ultimately what I want. As long as it can level itself out and not stall itself at the same time thats all I need to land her.

@G'th As Z3R0 said it just doesn't work. The RCS engines would have to be symmetric. You can force a model to mirror the correct way, but the RCS module's mirror doesn't match. Having them as two parts just adds nonsense for most players to deal with as they need to be mirrored to stay balanced. The Block-II OMS that I'm working on seems to be the look you're going for anyway. Cool shuttle though

SrzdOBF.png

Also here's a peek at the B-2 cockpit's 0.625m LES engine (with STBE for scale)

NzhW25P.png

iXDYRKX.png

On 9/24/2017 at 7:17 PM, Trekkie148 said:

can you please (make a different mod)

No. There's plenty of options out there to make whatever rocket you're looking at.

^ Indeed. And omg drooling lol.  I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that.

Also, after downscaling the wings a bit I actually found the stack was now able to roll a lot smoother. Hence, inclined launches!!

Kc58GsH.png

Its still a bit wiggly but I imagine that can be corrected by further wing tweaking and/or more SAS, which admittedly this doesn't have much of.

Edited by G'th

Even if using procedural wings or some other option, you still need to remove the ModuleLiftingSurface from the flat-bottom fuselage pieces. Easy enough to do that much, but still... no FAR patch for the body flap and elevons? I gotta believe that somebody before me has wanted this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.