[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

3KjSwit.png

8NMnbtn.png

u2CbxpD.png

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International

qPGYvTr.png

n5DMTmm.png

Mk3 Shuttle Pack (aka Shuttle Lifting Body) is required to use this add-on.

Shared textures are engines>CA_STME and shuttleStack>CAet

BByV2je.png

7FBdlJU.png

Spoiler

XwmJ3BM.png

TXlesnI.png

[Snip]

If you would like to see a mod supported by Cormorant Aeronology, write an @part patch and message me with the patch and a link to the mod so I can check it out. Like these fine people did

I0nHaPC.png

Realism Overhaul Patch by @DrLicor (Github Link)

2.5x Scale dV Patch by Me and @TheRedTom on Github (Works with Quarter RSS by @pap1723)

Real Plume Configs by @VenomousRequiem included

USI-LS patch by @FellipeC included

TAC-LS patch by @Spike88 on Github

Cool Rockets effects by @damonvv on Github

Stock Fuel Values by @PickledTripod on Github (Adjusts the ET and boosters to match Stock fuel volumes. Best used in 2x-3x systems)

DrOdVu3.png

Persistent Rotation Upgraded by @MarkusA380  and @linuxgurugamer

Atmosphere Autopilot by @Boris-Barboris

Changelog

Spoiler

v1.12.5a Update

Fixes:

• Fixed RCS thrusters and FX on the shuttle nosecone, OMS pods, and MMU

• Fixed Engine Effects on all engines and boosters

• various other small things

Added:

• Stock inventory system added to Shuttle Storage Box, MMU Engineer Rack, and MMU port

• Craft Files for the Mk3 Shuttle and Shuttle C

Patches:

• Updated RealPlume patch to fix engine FX

• I wasn't able to confirm that all of the mod compatability patches are still working so let me know if something you use is broken

v1.3

Updated to newest versions of Firespitter and MM

Fixed Buran cockpit specular map

v1.2.2b

New Parts - Found in the Aero category

Shuttle C body - The Shuttle C is an unmanned option to utilize the ET and booster stack of the Space Shuttle program. The C has no heat tiles or aerodynamic considerations as it isn't intended to return safely. Its lighter weight and disposable nature make it perfect for unusually heavy payloads and high altitude and satellite deployment missions.

Shuttle C Nosecone - A simple nosecone fit to the Mk3 profile.

v1.2.2a

Fixes and Changes

• MMU-E rack node fixed to prevent clipping on undock

• STME ISP changed. The sea level/vac values were flipped. This adds a bit more dV on launch. Enjoy

• Increased breaking torque on ET parts to help with initial physics load

• Moved the CoM on Shuttle B further back

• Fixed drag issues on the parachutes

• Reduced MMU fuel

• Other things I likely forgot about and will add if I remember

v1.2.2 - 1.0 Release!

New Parts:

• Shuttle External Tank - Orange Foam or White Paint mesh switch
  • Solid Rocket Boosters with Booster Decoupler
  • ST-25 Engine

Changes:

I don't know anymore. Besides a few of the newest payload parts, everything was retextured or redone in some way

• Career Tech tree and part costs reworked and still in progress
  • Fuel values reduced on MMU
  • Many part categories have changed

v1.1.32

New Parts:

• SE-5 Sunshade - Vertical mount for small payloads with animated cover
  • Science Pallet Plus - Stack-able pallet with optional science rack for mounting whatever comes to mind. Also has a built in battery
  • ISPP V2 - Small pallet that fits inside the Science Pallet for more mounting options.

Changes:

• Added fuel to the CA Fuel Cells. Replace them in the VAB for their updated values.

v1.1.31

• New Part - Storage box to fill with KIS stuff
  • Added front node to Airlock
  • Added future compatibility with MrMeeb's extended shuttle bay

v1.1.3

• New Part - External Tank Decoupler added. - Texture is mostly a placeholder until I know what else is sharing a map with it.
  • SAS added to MMU
  • Shuttle body node changed to hopefully resolve some issues.
  • A bunch of small edits/tweaks that I don't really remember!

v1.1.21

• I tried to make is as low impact as possible but this update will likely require some shuttle rebuilds. Fuel values have changed in the Body and OMS pods so make sure to grab new ones

• Lots of New Parts and Mesh Switches Added.

• Shielded Wings

• Split Rudder

• New Set of Lifting Body Parts (Current shuttles will be replaced with the Angled Engine Mount version)

• Fuel Cell

• Buran Style Options for Nosecone and Lifting Body

• Buran OMS Engine Mount

• Buran Aft RCS

• Patch to Mk3 Cockpit adds texture switching for Heat Tiles and Buran style

• Aero Changes to help create a more stable shuttle with or without the new panels

v1.1.2

• Fixed Part glow
  • Added Hitchhiker IVA to airlock

v1.10

• New models for everything.
  • OMS Engine, Airlock, MMU with Rack, and Payload Truss added

v1.04

• Changes to Aero. Turning during reentry should feel a bit more stable at higher speeds again. Seems like the 1.0.5 hotfix lifting body fix was conflicting with the parts additional wing lift causing much higher lift.
  • Body Flap values adjusted to bring its drag back up.
  • Body Flaps of existing shuttles will likely flip around and will need to be re-attached in the assembly building. Don't update if you have a shuttle in orbit!

v1.03

• Updated collision meshes to work with KSP 1.0.5
  • Adjusted Aero values to align with KSP 1.0.5 changes. Note the standard shuttles don't feel quite as stable as they used to. Be careful with those S-turns!
  • Added central node to engine mount area
  • Removed Mini-Shuttle part for now. Will re-introduce later with an additional parts pack

v1.01

• Added CA-OMS Pods to Control

• Added FSfuelSwitcher to Shuttle Lifting Bodies and OMS Pods (Firespitter and Module Manager now required)

• LFO and Monoprop now available for both

• Added lift to CA-Nosecone

• Moved CoL of CA-Lifting Body back to compensate for nosecone lift
  • Added 3 Engine Attach nodes to Shuttle Lifting bodies

This mod redistributes

Firespitter Core by snjo and Roverdude - Forum Thread

Module Manager by ialdabaoth and sarbian - Forum Thread

Parts derived from stock assets are free to be used in any way:

CAdelta, CAstrake, CArudder, CA_Elevon1, CA_Elevon2

----------------

Edited by Pak
1.12.5 Update

Thanks for the love and comments.

OP is back. I edited the post and it got sent back to moderator review because of my new member status.

Unbelievable. I was playing last night and was frustrated by how horrible it is to make a realistic shuttle. Perfectly done. I know you said you're adding FAR support, any idea how it functions if you use FAR as is? Again, I am very impressed. Solid work.

I tried it out really quick and can confirm that it doesn't explode. It's a little more sluggish than I'd like, but it's not the worst. I don't really have any reference though as I haven't used FAR in a while

Wow, I actually really like this! I can't wait to try it out! But what am I supposed to do for engines? That's been the problem with the whole stock Mk3 thing. Could you give a look at making a Mk3 tri-coupler part? I'll also put out there my idea: OMS pods + RCS. It'd go great with everything else, but no rush!

Secondly, I have a question. Are these RAM-free parts that reference the stock textures?

Finally, does anyone know where I can find a proper stockalike shuttle EFT + SRB set to go with this?

(Also, just a minor gripe: could you put the forum link on Kerbal Stuff to the top of the page in that main bar thing?)

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Thanks for the support guys

Wow, I actually really like this! I can't wait to try it out! But what am I supposed to do for engines? That's been the problem with the whole stock Mk3 thing. Could you give a look at making a Mk3 tri-coupler part? I'll also put out there my idea: OMS pods + RCS. It'd go great with everything else, but no rush!

Secondly, I have a question. Are these RAM-free parts that reference the stock textures?

I normally used nosecones to stick engines on on the back, but more recently have been using Ven's Stock Revamp which has surface attach engines. I can take a look at adding some more nodes though.

OMS with RCS is most likely going to be the next thing I tackle as that's the last section that adds a lot of parts to a shuttle.

It's not RAM-free, just stock-alike. All the parts share one texture though.

Thanks for the support guys

I normally used nosecones to stick engines on on the back, but more recently have been using Ven's Stock Revamp which has surface attach engines. I can take a look at adding some more nodes though.

OMS with RCS is most likely going to be the next thing I tackle as that's the last section that adds a lot of parts to a shuttle.

It's not RAM-free, just stock-alike. All the parts share one texture though.

Whatever way you put engines on the back, it still ends up being rather ugly and very haphazard. Especially because the back texture of the Mk3 looks great as a bulkhead between parts, but not much at all as an end piece. The actual Shuttle's engines were mounted on a flush back surface. Something like that; even another part, would be perfect! It might also be nice to have a slight angle to it, as stock engines don't have that amount of gimbal.

Space-shuttle-main-and-OMS-engines_a.jpg

OMS would be great as well!

Finally, I don't mean to sound nitpicky, but RAM-less textures would be nice moving forward--at least as much as can be done. I know things like the black tiling needs to be scratch-drawn, but the interiors that you show could just be copied from the stock texturing.

I can't wait to see how this all goes, though! I've never made a working stockalike shuttle, because it was never much good before. It's great to see someone fixing that problem!

EDIT: I still haven't played this (my gaming computer isn't up right now) but looking back closely at your screenshots, it looks like you do have some rear black tiling! So all it would need is I think some tweaks to the nodes maybe, or a slight angle to be kinder to stock engines' gimbal.

Also, one very simple request: mission flags! One on each side of that back piece.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.