[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

It's a little unfair to insist someone read all the pages, but anyway I'll answer it: He's been working on the escape cabin, some WIP images are on the last couple pages to take a look at, as well as the wings.

He's already made the LRBs, but ET engines are planned after the completion of the LES (I think).

@Abpilot

Also I'm patiently curious how Pak is doing on the mod recently, this thread has been pretty inactive.

Well I didn't say -all- the pages. The last 10 pages or so where he started posting his WIP pics.

But anyway I've seen his progress and he's getting there. The texture he made for the CEV is -awesome-. 

@Abpilot That's the primary concept I'm using. The next release is for the top image you posted and the bottom one I'm calling the 'heavy lift' version which will be out some time after. The next set of parts is looking like it'll be the cockpit, wings and part of the new airlock (or a modification of the current one). Finishing out the Phase 2 stuff will be the OMS pods and some utility stuff.

And you're right I'm pretty busy. I don't get much time to work on this stuff

Mostly blocking out colors and panel lines on the cockpit. The UV map for this was a journey

CA_thing2.png

The wings are pretty much set and the launch, landing and abort tests have gone well

screenshot121.png

8 hours ago, Pak said:

@Abpilot That's the primary concept I'm using. The next release is for the top image you posted and the bottom one I'm calling the 'heavy lift' version which will be out some time after. The next set of parts is looking like it'll be the cockpit, wings and part of the new airlock (or a modification of the current one). Finishing out the Phase 2 stuff will be the OMS pods and some utility stuff.

And you're right I'm pretty busy. I don't get much time to work on this stuff

Mostly blocking out colors and panel lines on the cockpit. The UV map for this was a journey

CA_thing2.png

The wings are pretty much set and the launch, landing and abort tests have gone well

screenshot121.png

Ohh Jezz that's butiful

when is that planned?

Edited by Abpilot

Mk3 - Block II

Update v 0.11

• Stack nodes on the 3.125-5m adapter fixed
  • Added more descriptions and localizations
  • Added search tags

n5DMTmm.png

And a peek at the new airlock in progress

yieC7Af.png

Edited by Pak

2 hours ago, Pak said:

Mk3 - Block II

Update v 0.11

• Stack nodes on the 3.125-5m adapter fixed
  • Added more descriptions and localizations
  • Added search tags

n5DMTmm.png

And a peek at the new airlock in progress

yieC7Af.png

Nice looks legendary is this going to come with a space hab and crawler tube

also just a side note but i kinda need those solar panels as seen on the cargo bay doors here

shuttle_04_1280x1024.jpgthe fuel cell just ain’t enough and i need an communicator to transmit science (in case of fiery reentry(channanger disaster)) sorry if i am hassling you or if this is too much just tell me to stop

18 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

also just a side note but i kinda need those solar panels as seen on the cargo bay doors here

Look at Shuttle Payload Technologies:

There are no solar panels on the Shuttledoors, that are radiators. The real Shuttle doesn't have solar panels.

21 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

the fuel cell just ain’t enough and i need an

Attach two or three or four...

11 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Look at Shuttle Payload Technologies:

There are no solar panels on the Shuttledoors, that are radiators. The real Shuttle doesn't have solar panels.

Attach two or three or four...

Ok thx for the fuel cell tip but i have tried it and it keeps crashing ksp on start up. Even if shuttle payload tech is the only mod i have it still crashes

15 hours ago, Abpilot said:

i need an communicator to transmit science (in case of fiery reentry(channanger disaster))

As said, check out SPT. It comes with a Spacelab and other parts, no Spacehab unfortunately. But it includes a half-size Spacelab that you can repurpose, I suppose. That's what I do.

And it does come with a Ku-Band antenna, which doesn't help you on recently, as it stows in the bay. However, you can clip an antenna inside the cockpit for always-available low-gain connection.

Oh, and an FYI: Challenger exploded during launch. Columbia was the one that disintegrated during reentry.

New parts look awesome, otherwise! The LES wings are gonna stay separate parts from the cockpit, right? In case SPT ever comes back, that will be helpful to resize a touch.

4 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

As said, check out SPT. It comes with a Spacelab and other parts, no Spacehab unfortunately. But it includes a half-size Spacelab that you can repurpose, I suppose. That's what I do.

And it does come with a Ku-Band antenna, which doesn't help you on recently, as it stows in the bay. However, you can clip an antenna inside the cockpit for always-available low-gain connection.

Oh, and an FYI: Challenger exploded during launch. Columbia was the one that disintegrated during reentry.

New parts look awesome, otherwise! The LES wings are gonna stay separate parts from the cockpit, right? In case SPT ever comes back, that will be helpful to resize a touch.

Damn I thought it was challenger that fried astronauts

plus SPT ain’t workin darn thing keeps crashing the game 

14 hours ago, Abpilot said:

Damn I thought it was challenger that fried astronauts

plus SPT ain’t workin darn thing keeps crashing the game 

Did you download the newest versions of DMagicScienceAnimate and WildBlue-Tools? Do not use the included ones in SPT.

Hey, so I've got another question for you guys: I've built a fairly accurate shuttle clone with the Cormorant parts, and for the most part, things are working great. However, I'm getting a weird yaw/roll oscillation during launch, where the orbiter, tank and boosters will start to wobble back and forth just before my gravity turn at 100 m/s. It doesn't really affect the launch too much, but it can tend to screw with my orbit inclination a bit, setting it off the 90where I would like it to be. Anyone have any idea what's happening, or any way to fix it?

@CaptainPanda

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be a couple things. You don't have FAR installed, right?S Second try out the craft file and see if it has the same issues. If you haven't set yours to do so, there's two things the default craft has:

Set your SSMEs to only have pitch gimbal available at launch, you should free all gimbals with an action group around SRB sep.

Also, lock all aerodynamic control surfaces on launch, your SAS may simply be overcompensating using them.

If you've tried both of those already, I'm not sure. The best way I've found to fly the shuttle in general is to use Mechjeb's ascent guidance, and then set SAS to the target node. (Mechjeb autopilot can't handle the shuttle very easily on its own)

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

11 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

@CaptainPanda

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be a couple things. You don't have FAR installed, right?S Second try out the craft file and see if it has the same issues. If you haven't set yours to do so, there's two things the default craft has:

Set your SSMEs to only have pitch gimbal available at launch, you should free all gimbals with an action group around SRB sep.

Also, lock all aerodynamic control surfaces on launch, your SAS may simply be overcompensating using them.

If you've tried both of those already, I'm not sure. The best way I've found to fly the shuttle in general is to use Mechjeb's ascent guidance, and then set SAS to the target node. (Mechjeb autopilot can't handle the shuttle very easily on its own)

Right on, that was exactly it! I had locked the control surfaces, but I didn't realize that I could lock out the directional gyros on the engine gimbals, and that was causing the instability. Well done!

42 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Question: is it even possible to fly this shuttle with MechJeb? I'm talking about ascent, not reentry or landing. I've tried almost everything, but it seems CA shuttle simply cannot work with MJ.

Mechjeb doesn't really understand the asymmetrical thrust and structure of the shuttle. I don't use Mechjeb to fly it, so I do it sort of manually (the shuttle needs action group input anyway). Basically, use the "show navball ascent guidance" but don't use autopilot. Then lock your SAS to the target node that Mechjeb created, and manually control the throttle, as well as keep the Shuttle dorsal facing towards earth on the gravity turn. (Mechjeb has roll angles you can set but they're weird and hard to calculate if your orbit isn't equatorial). I just generally accept that it's a more hands-on vehicle than a Soyuz or whatever.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

I haven't tried it recently but likely not. It's not really a mechjeb issue as it popped up because of some changes to how SAS functions around 1.0-1.2 somewhere. Prior to that MJ worked really well for shuttles.

The best options now are things that don't use stock SAS at all. I recommend Atmospheric Autopilot for anything with wings. If you're looking for something more automated, I've tested Gravity Turn with the shuttle and it works pretty well.

You could use one of those for launch, then use MJ for everything else.

Edited by Pak

I really, REALLY hate that "Force roll" thing. Until it appeared, you could simply adjust angle in VAB, engage autopilot and it did the rest. Since then - even if you disable it, it rolls your craft anyway. Quite awkward for rockets like Titan III, and shuttles became absolutely uncontrollable.

Guess I simply launch my station(s) to zero inclination and fly shuttles semi-manually, then.

Just now, Pak said:

screenshot121.pngI haven't tried it recently but likely not. It's not really a mechjeb issue as it popped up because of some changes to how SAS functions around 1.0-1.2 somewhere. Prior to that MJ worked really well for shuttles.

The best options now are things that don't use stock SAS at all. I recommend Atmospheric Autopilot for anything with wings. If you're looking for something more automated, I've tested Gravity Turn with the shuttle and it works pretty well.

You could use one of those for launch, then use MJ for everything else.

Thanks, I'll try these!

Forgot to darken that grey to match the darker carbon grey on the shuttle wings before the renders.

The heat tiles are on the bottom of the decoupler which match my shuttle bodies. The CERV won't have tiles with the idea that this dark grey is some sort of future-ish heat protection. This will also make it easier to use with some future craft that I'm planning.

Fw1GtQ7.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.