[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

1 hour ago, Avalon304 said:

That looks good. Will this also help the Buran pack out (because LFBs could be interchanged)? Or is that after?

I think that will/should come after. Besides, in the meantime we have AB Launchers for Energia, but there is no other mod for Block 2.

@Avalon304 Buran will be separate and after.

I'll be working with @Beale when he builds his new Energia so it integrates with CA well. The plan is you could either use his boosters with my ET, or his whole stack with a little balance patch from me. This'll give me more time to work on cleaning up the Buran to be more of its own craft with a few new parts like an airlock, LES boosters, etc.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:30 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, their fuselages looked pretty similar in size.

3c789244cb2c74be7dc4f8e156dc9ae2.jpg

Actually the Shuttle is slightly wider than the 747-100,   Which proves the Mk3 parts are actually too small for a proper shuttle @ 0.64 scale.  You can't fit 10x abreast Kerbal seats with 2x Kerbal wide isles in the Mk3 fuselage.   And NO that was not a knock at this awesome mod!  

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_B.php

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_B.php

But besides that.  unless you are going to use something like FMRS there is no point except as an art piece for a Shuttle Transport....  But now I want to make a Saturn-II with a cutout in the S-IVB stage for a small Mk2 based shuttle :)

My most recent shuttle mission has been a resounding success thanks to your parts Pak, and by extension MrMeeb. Thank you so much for what you guys do, you really help KSP to come alive.

A short time ago I made some shuttle themed decals for use with the Nebula Engineering Decals mod. With Pak's permission I'm going to release them for public use. Seeing as this is a derivative work, I'm including the same license used with the CA modpack. The decals include all of the US orbiter names, decals for the sides of the orbiter, a flag decal, and a NASA-style KSP logo in three red, gray, or black.

NEBULA Space Engineering is required.

License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq0t6o24no5lo3m/CA decals addon.rar?dl=0

Edited by Doc Shaftoe
Hopefully fixed the link.

Buran:

1) Flaps: the upper part should be:image1288087.png

The lower part should be like this:

image1288088.png

2) service module Buran should look like this: 1) smoothing in the upper part:image1288096.png

2) the smoothing at the bottom:image1288101.png

Well, with a Buran all.

The Shuttle and the Shuttle C seems to be in order.

image1288130.jpg

image1288134.jpg

image1288136.jpg

And so a good mod

Edited by Dim A

20 hours ago, Dim A said:

Buran:

1) Flaps: the upper part should be:image1288087.png

The lower part should be like this:

image1288088.png

2) service module Buran should look like this: 1) smoothing in the upper part:image1288096.png

2) the smoothing at the bottom:image1288101.png

Well, with a Buran all.

The Shuttle and the Shuttle C seems to be in order.

image1288130.jpg

image1288134.jpg

image1288136.jpg

And so a good mod

Well Pak did say he was going to give Buran a pass to make it less of a texture set and more of an actual, seperate part set once he's done with Shuttle C (and once Beale makes Energia)

Edit: also, what do you mean about the flaps? They appear to be working as intended in your screenshots.....?

Edited by minepagan

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it that the rear RCS pods are done as a single part combining both pods, rather than a single pod attached with symmetry? It seems like it makes the part much less versatile as well as way fiddlier to attach.

BTW, do you ever (presumably in the distant future) plan to make parts for the planned fully reuseable version of Energia?

P.S. This mod is fantastic - goes perfectly with the Energia from AB Launchers.

1 hour ago, baldamundo said:

Why is it that the rear RCS pods are done as a single part combining both pods, rather than a single pod attached with symmetry? It seems like it makes the part much less versatile as well as way fiddlier to attach.

If it's not symmetrical, it can't be attached with symmetry...

2 hours ago, baldamundo said:

BTW, do you ever (presumably in the distant future) plan to make parts for the planned fully reuseable version of Energia?

Well, reusable Baikal boosters can already be made with AB and Kerbal Reusability Expansion.

Here's the one I've built on an suborbital test flight:

Mods used: Bluedog Design Bureau, KRE, AB Launchers, SXT, but I'm not 100% sure about the last one. 

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4e34uy8rsvihot/Baikal.craft?dl=0

3 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Well, reusable Baikal boosters can already be made with AB and Kerbal Reusability Expansion.

Here's the one I've built on an suborbital test flight:

Mods used: Bluedog Design Bureau, KRE, AB Launchers, SXT, but I'm not 100% sure about the last one. 

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4e34uy8rsvihot/Baikal.craft?dl=0

Oooh! Didn't realise KRE had the booster wings - cheers for the tip. What with procedural wings, I guess the main thing really I'm missing now is just a 5m cargo bay for the core stage.

45 minutes ago, minepagan said:

If it's not symmetrical, it can't be attached with symmetry...

Oh yeah. Somehow I always forget this obvious fact :confused:

ok... idk if im doing someting wrong... but i keep getting bill killed on a runway eva. basically heres what happens:

transfer bill to the airlock from the flight deck

select bill for eva

bill goes PFFT!

airlock is mounted so that one docking tube is up, the "extended" one goes to the crew space (not the extended version though) and the airlock opens into the cargo hold...

so what am i doing wrong?

*note: I had 6 seat mk3 and 6 seat science lab... uninstalled to see if thats what might be doing it, and will edit one final time when i know...

nope... wasnt it..

Edited by argentrolf

1 hour ago, SpaceIsCool said:

When I try to roll the shuttle after liftoff it goes everywhere and it crashes back into the ground...????

To achieve any form of roll control on the shuttle on ascent you have to enable roll/yaw on SSMEs (AG 4). Locking SAS to radial out is also useful since it will keep the shuttle pointing upwards. 

2 hours ago, argentrolf said:

bill goes PFFT!

Sounds like a heat error. Maybe some other mods conflicting? I thought it might be because of the science pallet placement with colliders conflicting or something but I did it on my end and don't have any issue.
4ZKPu9F.png?2

2 hours ago, SpaceIsCool said:

When I try to roll the shuttle after liftoff it goes everywhere and it crashes back into the ground...????

1 hour ago, notJebKerman said:

To achieve any form of roll control on the shuttle on ascent you have to enable roll/yaw on SSMEs (AG 4). Locking SAS to radial out is also useful since it will keep the shuttle pointing upwards. 

This might work but it locks you into a weird ascent I'd guess. The best idea would be to follow real shuttle methods during ascent and tweak a bit to account for SAS weirdness. If you have a lot of issues I'd recommend checking out the craft files as they're set up for ascent with all the action groups I use. There's also some simple launch and landing guides in the OP.

• Disable all flight surfaces (too many control surfaces make the craft overcorrect with SAS)
  • Disable roll/yaw on SSMEs (the shuttle only uses the SRB gimbal for initial launch, but leaving the SSME pitch can help with little balance issues)
  • Launch at about 75% SSME thrust and increase as the booster thrust decreases
  • Roll slowly with little taps to keep the roll and yaw from drifting
  • Enable SSME gimbals once the booster thrust isn't enough to maintain control of the craft

4 minutes ago, Pak said:

Sounds like a heat error. Maybe some other mods conflicting? I thought it might be because of the science pallet placement with colliders conflicting or something but I did it on my end and don't have any issue.
4ZKPu9F.png?2

This might work but it locks you into a weird ascent I'd guess. The best idea would be to follow real shuttle methods during ascent and tweak a bit to account for SAS weirdness. If you have a lot of issues I'd recommend checking out the craft files as they're set up for ascent with all the action groups I use. There's also some simple launch and landing guides in the OP.

• Disable all flight surfaces (too many control surfaces make the craft overcorrect with SAS)
  • Disable roll/yaw on SSMEs (the shuttle only uses the SRB gimbal for initial launch, but leaving the SSME pitch can help with little balance issues)
  • Launch at about 75% SSME thrust and increase as the booster thrust decreases
  • Roll slowly with little taps to keep the roll and yaw from drifting
  • Enable SSME gimbals once the booster thrust isn't enough to maintain control of the craft

Thanks for the advice, but when I look at the action groups it also turns off the engines. Do I change this manually or am I just really bad at flying winged spacecrafts xD

15 hours ago, SpaceIsCool said:

Thanks for the advice, but when I look at the action groups it also turns off the engines. Do I change this manually or am I just really bad at flying winged spacecrafts xD

You have to change them manually. IIRC there was a mod that added in the ability to toggle gimbal with action groups but I can't remember what it was.

8 hours ago, minepagan said:

You have to change them manually. IIRC there was a mod that added in the ability to toggle gimbal with action groups but I can't remember what it was.

Not at my comp right now, but pretty sure @Pak has the SSME gimbals set up in an action group already - with no mod

Edited by smotheredrun
Fix tag... Stupid phone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.