[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

@Dgraz22 SRBs just needed a little less fuel. I updated so they'll burn out before 25km now.

I0nHaPC.png

@Dano818 I changed my mind and didn't want to include those with the base parts. I still have the texture I just forgot about it. I'll finish it up and put it out when I can. 

1 hour ago, gc1ceo said:

Has anybody built a Buran/Energia?

I'm a personal fan of the AB Launchers Energia. It still works in 1.3 as far as I'm aware. I'll see if I can get any screenshots. @Beale has been teasing photos of a new Energia that will be part of Tantares but until then, AB is the best for the job IMO.

I put something together with Contares, it works -sorta-, I'll post the craft file and some pictures later.

I can more or less get it into orbit with Mechjeb although I haven't quite tried manually yet.

Update 1.3.0b

Changes

• More small changes to support Mk3 - Block II

• Most shuttle parts moved down one tier lower in the tech tree to give space for Block II parts. You can now build a full shuttle at the Heavy Aerodynamics and Heavier Rocketry levels.

nswogfh.pngu2CbxpD.png

And the initial release of the Block II Program!

Please note this is an alpha build as I work on it. Some of the textures are unfinished and there are likely some problems I haven't found/fixed, but it's functional.

My free time is very limited and I didn't want to feel like I was sitting on this anymore so I'm putting it out. I'll be cleaning up these parts as I move forward with the rest of the add-on which will include the Block II orbiter and a handful of other parts. Just drop the files into your Cormorant Aeronology folder.

I'll be adding a craft file soon but likely won't make a forum post about it. So if you're interested just keep an eye out over the next day or two.

A note for stock use: Without using something like Atmospheric Autopilot you really need advanced tweakables activated in your game to manage the main engine gimbals during launch. I recommend this with the normal shuttle as well, but the stock SAS can't deal with all the additional engines going at once. Manual flight is a bit more tricky but still very possible with a little practice. The flight profile from my launch guide in the OP still works, but you should be looking at booster sep around 30km instead of 15k. Good luck!

GJHJ0hl.png

n5DMTmm.png

This is true. 

The next big part set will be the full Block II orbiter.

While I'm working on that I'll be making and releasing other small parts for B-II and the base shuttle like an advanced airlock and MMU, extended RCS payload, and some other small things. When and how these parts get released just depends on time and what kind of stuff is giving me problems, but it'll all lead to the full orbiter at some point. The general structure is:

Phase 1 - LRBs

Phase 2 - Block II Orbiter

Phase 3 - Heavy Lift stack and Orbiter

For all future parts though if it's something that was actually made and used, or something that was concepted for the original shuttle it'll go in the base Mk3 Shuttle Pack.

If it's a more advanced version of a part I already have or just something I make up it'll be in the Block II set.

Also I put the craft file up. You can find it here 

BByV2je.png

Do the LRBs have a parachute return system? Were they ever designed to have one, since salt water isn't the greatest thing on engines. It would be nice for balance, I think, either way.

Also is there a way to use firespitter/mesh switch to make the white painted parts weigh a little more? Otherwise I won't stop flying with white paint! :P

P.S. Another question: did the shuttle have lights inside the bay?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.