[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

4 hours ago, KrYcHokE said:

Hello, is it possible to merge same booster parts from your mod and reDIRECT if I use booth mods? Or separate booster and shuttle parts? Thanks.

Nothing stopping you building crafts with the two mods being used at the same time (the same as any other parts pack). Here's a Mk3 shuttle with Cormorant lifting body parts and OMS, stock main engines, and reDIRECT external tank and boosters.

BtcBeKu.jpg

hey @Pak i've been working on a tweakscale patch for Cormorant over the past couple days. right now it's only got the base parts for the shuttle (nose cose, shuttle c nose cone, shuttle bottoms, and some of the other parts. the only issue i have is that i am unable to get the delta wings, strakes, or US OMS pods to scale.
here is the code if you want to check it out. (tested in 1.3.1)
https://gist.github.com/Initial-Dee/26d250c5cce207d2d99d65945dc4bb21

Edit: file goes into the patches folder within TweakScale

Edited by Initial-Dee

On 4/14/2018 at 9:53 PM, Pak said:

@Rodger Not a bad idea. I'll keep that in mind

Had some time so I started to fill out the medium shuttle part set some more.

mU62FFU.png

The one on the right looks kinda familiar :) 

Also, SAS has been terrible since 1.2.x, and only seems to have become worse in 1.3 and 1.4 :(   It's too bad Squad didn't leave well enough alone

On 4/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, Initial-Dee said:

hey @Pak i've been working on a tweakscale patch for Cormorant over the past couple days. right now it's only got the base parts for the shuttle (nose cose, shuttle c nose cone, shuttle bottoms, and some of the other parts. the only issue i have is that i am unable to get the delta wings, strakes, or US OMS pods to scale.
here is the code if you want to check it out. (tested in 1.3.1)
https://gist.github.com/Initial-Dee/26d250c5cce207d2d99d65945dc4bb21

Edit: file goes into the patches folder within TweakScale

Neat thanks. I don't know anything about tweakscale so I can't be much help with that issue. If you figure it out and there's something I can change in the .mu to solve it let me know and I can include it in the next version.

12 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@Pak Will the Medium shuttle parts be separate and not require the MK3 Shuttle pack?

The Mk3 pack is about at its part limit before it'll start to feel bloated to me. There may be some minor things added here and there but it's pretty complete in my eyes.

The medium shuttle (LKS) set ,other unannounced shuttle set, and new things that aren't Block-II related will end up in a separate pack.

On 4/8/2018 at 1:11 AM, Pak said:

Hey folks,

IUS is posted in the test area of my github while I finish up textures/polishing. Just add the IUS folder to Cormorant Aeronology. The shuttle payload mounts aren't available yet.

https://github.com/Pak84/Test-Area

-picsnip-

Well, field report time:

First time out, I took a 1738 kg payload on top from a 100km circular orbit to start with... when all was said and done, the payload was left pretty close to a stationary orbit, and eccentricity was pretty much nil. Had to do a few tens of meters per second total burn to arrive in a perfectly stationary orbit, but that's what ion thrusters are for. :wink: Going to try with a slightly lighter payload and see if that gets me closer.

EDIT: Seems that a payload, including decouplers and adaptors, of 1.5 to 1.6 tonnes is the ideal mass. It'll put you right up at stationary orbital heights and speeds with only minor corrections needed.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

On 4/15/2018 at 6:15 PM, Stone Blue said:

wot aboot @sirkut's arm tho? :P

I'm working on some arm parts at the moment!   Sorry that Gyazo creates such low res screenshots... but it's easy and fast...

5760ce9705b5754a95d45a9f1bd418e3.png

I'm planning to release them for Sirkut's plugin (in fact offering to let him release them with the plugin, if he'd like.) as wholly built single part arms, but also planning to release the individual pieces as IR parts, for people who want to assemble their own arms.   There also seem to be some things that monolithic arms are better at, and some things that IR arms are better at... so there will be people that prefer one over the other.   

That's all by way of saying, I'm a big fan of this mod and I'll make sure that there are a set of parts that are a scale that conveniently fits in the cargo bay of both the Mk3 and the medium shuttles when I have time!   I'm also paying attention to the scale of stock parts too, to try to make things that generally work well with other things!  

Edited by artwhaley

18 hours ago, Kablob said:

A space shuttle docked to Skylab.

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

NASA were actually planning to dock a Shuttle to Skylab and boost it into a higher orbit, but the Shuttle programme was delayed and Skylab ended up burning up in Earth’s atmosphere. There’s your history lesson for the day :D

@Pak I have 2 questions about the BlockII addon.

1. Do the front canards on the upgraded orbiter have heat tiles on them? I think the shuttle won’t look proper if those are missing.

2. How big is the payload limit with the LFBs?

Also @The-Doctor You’ve got something weird going on with your cockpit there......

Edited by RealKerbal3x
extra

45 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

NASA were actually planning to dock a Shuttle to Skylab and boost it into a higher orbit, but the Shuttle programme was delayed and Skylab ended up burning up in Earth’s atmosphere. There’s your history lesson for the day :D

@Pak I have 2 questions about the BlockII addon.

1. Do the front canards on the upgraded orbiter have heat tiles on them? I think the shuttle won’t look proper if those are missing.

2. How big is the payload limit with the LFBs?

Also @The-Doctor You’ve got something weird going on with your cockpit there......

Well, only sort of regarding Skylab. The Shuttle never would have docked, it would have deployed a robotic craft to dock and raise the orbit. Then if Skylab was to be reused it would have been fitted with a separate adaptor to allow the Shuttle to dock.

And regarding BII:

1. No they do not. If you want them for right now, I recommend doing what I did and creating them out of B9 procedural wings. 

2. I believe it goes up to 25t. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.