[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

19 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Makes me want to add the shuttle to my ETS-based career save... Btw, which mod is the satellite from?

I just scaled up the BDB ELR-Probe & ELR Service Module, but it actually looks pretty close to the real thing (Hughes HS-376). I used the BDB STAR 48 for the PAM (It actually is the booster on the real PAM).

HDx24E7.pngbsat1a.jpg

14 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

I just scaled up the BDB ELR-Probe & ELR Service Module, but it actually looks pretty close to the real thing (Hughes HS-376). I used the BDB STAR 48 for the PAM (It actually is the booster on the real PAM).

Ah, too bad we don't have the sliding solar ring like the real one.

For deploying satellites from the payload bay, would it be possible to make the tilt table that was used with the inertial upper stage? The MOLE mod includes a working Canadarm, so it appears moving parts are still possible in 1.4.X, and it would be cool to angle my payloads slightly so they clear the bay before decoupling.

Also, this continues to be an awesome mod. Now that the Space Shuttle IVA is released (and works great with Cormorant!) I'm having a blast launching shuttles from cockpit view, and I've also found that your MMUs are excellent for EVA assembly of small components that are nonetheless too awkward to send up in one piece. The interplanetary explorer I'm currently building relies heavily on MMU construction, and I'll be using space shuttles to supply and assemble several key components. Pictures to follow when I finish it.

Edit 5/21: I finished it! Full album:

Album https://imgur.com/a/zOfYuL1 will appear when post is submitted

Edited by Kirk0007

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I'm having issues with:

1.) Textures flickering on several parts
2.) The option to flip the tiles on the wings is gone

In my GameData folder:

CommunityResourcePack
Cormorant Aeronology
Firespitter
InterstellarFuelSwitch
Kopernicus
ModularFlightIntegrator
Squad
StockVisualEnhancements
TextureReplacer
TweakScale
ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll

Am I missing something important here?

[EDIT] - It turns out I was running a horribly outdated version of FireSpitter.....go figure

Edited by EmceeCh4p
Never mind lol

On 4/29/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pak said:

@Avalon304 Buran will be separate and after.

I'll be working with @Beale when he builds his new Energia so it integrates with CA well. The plan is you could either use his boosters with my ET, or his whole stack with a little balance patch from me. This'll give me more time to work on cleaning up the Buran to be more of its own craft with a few new parts like an airlock, LES boosters, etc.

Is still being done

Thanks to @Beale for his great work on the Energia lifter.

To celebrate I made a simple craft file linked below. It could use some tweaking but it's a good starting point for people having trouble getting it set up.

(Only uses parts from the Energia and Zenit folders in TantaresLV)

TantaresLV on Spacedock

6MPuVqA.png

BByV2je.png

Also if you're into IVAs go check out @G'th's great MAS/ASET/RPM interior

Ultimate Shuttle IVA on Spacedock

7CHDf5x.png

Screenshot by G'th

1 hour ago, Pak said:

To celebrate I made a simple craft file linked below. It could use some tweaking but it's a good starting point for people having trouble getting it set up.

(Only uses parts from the Energia and Zenit folders in TantaresLV)...

It looks awesome!

It reminds me to make the standalone download for these parts, for those that don't want all of the other parts. I will see to that when I have a chance.

Hello,

I've got a problem with this mod: the parts won't show up.

In the log it says something about [LOG 11:42:35.989] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Cormorant Aeronology 1.4.1a/Cormorant Aeronology/Assets/CA_decals/CA_decalFlag/CA_decalFlag'
[ERR 11:42:35.993] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Cormorant Aeronology/Assets/CA_decals/CA_decalFlag' as model does not exist.

I am running Version 1.4.3.2152

Log file

On 5/24/2018 at 12:13 AM, Pak said:

Hi @Pak, thank you for this fantastic mod (and for the craft file!!). I just got into shuttles with the Tantares Energia using a slightly modified version of your craft file. 

I've had some decent success and I finished building my MIR station using your Buran. However I do still find myself fighting with the craft on ascent and was wondering if you have any tips for this particular craft in addition to the ascent profile instructions in the first post.

My main issue is getting the inclination right at launch. I have the shuttle oriented on the pad so I don't have to roll but even just controlling with the throttle I'm usually 4-5 degrees off course. Any attempt to make lateral corrections cause the craft to roll out of control so what I end up doing is staying the course and after the boosters are dropped and the centre core engines gimbal is enabled, I try to make a correction (still end up about 1 degree off) during the final part of the ascent from 50km and above. This still induces some roll (and sometimes wild swings) and I've ended up finishing my ascent sideways, it worked  but wasn't very dignified... Any roll corrections while the engines are running causes wild swings. I've actually added a tweak scaled Saturn SIVB reaction wheel from BluedogDB to the centre core to increase control authority but my ascent still isn't as trouble free as I would like.

Anyway any tips you might have on flying this beast is much appreciated! 

N0abct3.png

Edited by Zorg

On 5/30/2018 at 11:06 AM, Zorg said:

Hi @Pak, thank you for this fantastic mod (and for the craft file!!). I just got into shuttles with the Tantares Energia using a slightly modified version of your craft file. 

I've had some decent success and I finished building my MIR station using your Buran. However I do still find myself fighting with the craft on ascent and was wondering if you have any tips for this particular craft in addition to the ascent profile instructions in the first post.

My main issue is getting the inclination right at launch. I have the shuttle oriented on the pad so I don't have to roll but even just controlling with the throttle I'm usually 4-5 degrees off course. Any attempt to make lateral corrections cause the craft to roll out of control so what I end up doing is staying the course and after the boosters are dropped and the centre core engines gimbal is enabled, I try to make a correction (still end up about 1 degree off) during the final part of the ascent from 50km and above. This still induces some roll (and sometimes wild swings) and I've ended up finishing my ascent sideways, it worked  but wasn't very dignified... Any roll corrections while the engines are running causes wild swings. I've actually added a tweak scaled Saturn SIVB reaction wheel from BluedogDB to the centre core to increase control authority but my ascent still isn't as trouble free as I would like.

Anyway any tips you might have on flying this beast is much appreciated! 

N0abct3.png

What I’d do is only have pitch control enabled on your engines. This means you can control your ascent better as you have more fine-tune control. Speaking of fine control, you can press caps lock for fine control mode.

Hope that helped :)

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What I’d do is only have pitch control enabled on your engines. This means you can control your ascent better as you have more fine-tune control. Speaking of fine control, you can press caps lock for fine control mode.

Hope that helped :)

Hmm, the pitch only trick didn't help directly but helped me diagnose the problem. Switching the boosters to pitch only caused the shuttle to yaw off course at launch. Can't figure out why... engines are balanced, COM isnt off centre in the yaw axis... checked all aero control surfaces.

Anyway I rebuilt the craft from scratch and it seems fine now! Its still a bit finicky as one might expect from a shuttle but it gets to within 1 degree of intended inclination without any lateral/yaw corrections during ascent. I still added the Saturn reaction wheel to the final craft although its decently controllable without it.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:13 AM, Pak said:

(Only uses parts from the Energia and Zenit folders in TantaresLV)

TantaresLV on Spacedock

6MPuVqA.png

BByV2je.png

Also if you're into IVAs go check out @G'th's great MAS/ASET/RPM interior

Ultimate Shuttle IVA on Spacedock

7CHDf5x.png

Screenshot by G'th

id actually recommend use LCA project for Energia, much more detailed but for stock-alike, go to town.

Hello all. I am new to Kerbal and have been looking for a good Shuttle for my sandbox. I like whay I habe seen from this but I can't seem to make it work. I downloaded the latest version of the mod, put the folder into my gamedata file. The parts (at least some of them) show up in the VAB and I can use them. My problem is with the craft files. I downloaded the craft files and unzipped some of them into the ships file but it tells me that some of the parts are missing.

I will get my log files and post them when I get a chance. For now I was hoping that maybe someone can tell me what I may have done wrong.

BTW, this looks like an excellent project. I can't wait to use it. Please keep up the good work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.