[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

5 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@Skyrunner84 If you are new to KSP, you should probably not start with a shuttle, as they are quite complicated to fly. :)  

Well right now I think they are rather complicated to install. I have flown some "complicated" 3rd party crafts already and I don't find much about flying these models complicated. Especially since you hit the "revert to launch" button and fix what you did wrong in about a minute. No i would not certify that flying the real thing is not complicated but it is not a computer game. 

Anyway I appreciate your advice but it does not help with getting this to work for me. BTW I am playing on the latest KSP. I installed this mod on a fresh install with no other mods installed and it is still missing parts for some reason. Is there another dependency that I am missing?

13 hours ago, Skyrunner84 said:

I installed this mod on a fresh install with no other mods installed and it is still missing parts for some reason. Is there another dependency that I am missing?

@Skyrunner84 You wrote in your earlier post that you unzipped SOME of the craft files into your save. Which ones exactly?

These 2 require the mk3 Block II parts. They are in the second download link in the original post of this thread.

• CA - Block II Shuttle
  • CA - Mk3 Block II Phase I

This craft (The Russian Buran) requires the completely separate TantaresLV (Tantares lift vehicles) mod which provides the Energia booster which is part of the craft files.

• CA - Petrel Orbiter

I suspect you have copied over the block II craft but not installed the Block II addon to this mod. 

The remaining craft in the crafts zip should work without Tantares or Block II.

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, ARTOBAN said:

Help . CA Petrel Orbiter dont work

EngineerChip

The EngineerChip is a KER part. You need KER installed for ships with that part to work.

As far as I know. @Pak any ideas on this??

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On 6/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, Zorg said:

@Skyrunner84 You wrote in your earlier post that you unzipped SOME of the craft files into your save. Which ones exactly?

These 2 require the mk3 Block II parts. They are in the second download link in the original post of this thread.

• CA - Block II Shuttle
  • CA - Mk3 Block II Phase I

This craft (The Russian Buran) requires the completely separate TantaresLV (Tantares lift vehicles) mod which provides the Energia booster which is part of the craft files.

• CA - Petrel Orbiter

I suspect you have copied over the block II craft but not installed the Block II addon to this mod. 

The remaining craft in the crafts zip should work without Tantares or Block II.

This was the correct answer. I am currently waiting to try it but I am sure that this will fix the problem. I don't know how I missed that it was a separate download.

Thanks again, 

Happy flying.

Greetings, 

I have problems to use Cormorant using Mechjeb using it for ascending. I thought it was a problem by Mechjeb but doing test with other type of rocket and ships I am not having any issues.

The shuttle launches but it does move everywhere, it does not follow the rendevouz path or plane target, using the force rotation makes it move side by side and at the end it can not reach the desired orbit.

Does any one have experienced this problem as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry by the bad english.

1 hour ago, Bert Thendor said:

Greetings, 

I have problems to use Cormorant using Mechjeb using it for ascending. I thought it was a problem by Mechjeb but doing test with other type of rocket and ships I am not having any issues.

The shuttle launches but it does move everywhere, it does not follow the rendevouz path or plane target, using the force rotation makes it move side by side and at the end it can not reach the desired orbit.

This seems like a question for the MechJeb thread, as it doesn't directly apply to Cormorant, but MechJeb really doesn't like the asymmetrical layout of the shuttle. I don't use it myself, but it can commonly be thrown off by a lot of factors.

Do you have any other autopilot plugins installed? I don't really know, but it might be SAS or another autopilot mod fighting with MechJeb.

22 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

This seems like a question for the MechJeb thread, as it doesn't directly apply to Cormorant, but MechJeb really doesn't like the asymmetrical layout of the shuttle. I don't use it myself, but it can commonly be thrown off by a lot of factors.

Do you have any other autopilot plugins installed? I don't really know, but it might be SAS or another autopilot mod fighting with MechJeb.

Thank you for your prompt response.

You're right about this question must be done thru Mechjeb post, however as I mentioned I did tests with other rockets and capsules and they behave pretty fine. Still I will follow your advice.

About other autopilot mod, No I don´t have any installed except Mechjeb itself. But it would be a good idea to remove Mechjeb and try other one for this vessel, Can you suggest one?.

Again thanks for your kind help.

Best,

40 minutes ago, Bert Thendor said:

Thank you for your prompt response.

You're right about this question must be done thru Mechjeb post, however as I mentioned I did tests with other rockets and capsules and they behave pretty fine. Still I will follow your advice.

About other autopilot mod, No I don´t have any installed except Mechjeb itself. But it would be a good idea to remove Mechjeb and try other one for this vessel, Can you suggest one?.

Again thanks for your kind help.

Best,

Not actually sure about many autopilot mods as I don’t use any, but you could try Gravity Turn. It does efficient launches automatically. However I’m not sure how well it will handle a shuttle.

:)

On 5/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, Kirk0007 said:

For deploying satellites from the payload bay, would it be possible to make the tilt table that was used with the inertial upper stage? The MOLE mod includes a working Canadarm, so it appears moving parts are still possible in 1.4.X, and it would be cool to angle my payloads slightly so they clear the bay before decoupling.

Also, this continues to be an awesome mod. Now that the Space Shuttle IVA is released (and works great with Cormorant!) I'm having a blast launching shuttles from cockpit view, and I've also found that your MMUs are excellent for EVA assembly of small components that are nonetheless too awkward to send up in one piece. The interplanetary explorer I'm currently building relies heavily on MMU construction, and I'll be using space shuttles to supply and assemble several key components. Pictures to follow when I finish it.

Edit 5/21: I finished it! Full album:

Album https://imgur.com/a/zOfYuL1 will appear when post is submitted

I believe the link expired.... Can you post another? I am very interested in seeing your interaction with this fine game (and AMAZING mods like this one <3)

OK.... I'm not sure, but I think 1.4.4 may have broken the Cormorant space shuttle. As soon as it was off the pad, it accelerated very slowly. I have a couple of screenshots showing its speed at various altitudes. Here we go:

FXR3KlD.png

At 3km, it wasn't even at 200 m/s.

unab0RI.png

At almost 10km, it hadn't even broken the sound barrier yet.

luAiRyv.png

Eventually, as I was doing my nominal pitchover to the horizon at roughly 30km, it passed its apoapsis and began to fall back. This is not normal -- back in 1.4.3 I could get this thing into orbit without much trouble. Here, I was forced to abort. However, a good thing that 1.4.4 seems to introduce for this mod is an easier landing. I was able to splash down safely at roughly 50 m/s, with the only fatalities being the fuel cells.

But anyway--- @Pak do you think this is 1.4.4 or a conflict between another mod and Cormorant? I can give you my full mod list if you want.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Hi @RealKerbal3x

I checked things out in 1.4.4 and don't have any issues.

Were you using a rescale patch at some point? If so it could be that you made the craft with the scaled fuel values and if you're playing in stock now the values don't update. You can use the fuel switch to fix the values or grab fresh parts.

If not you can PM me more info and we can try to figure it out.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

OK.... I'm not sure, but I think 1.4.4 may have broken the Cormorant space shuttle. As soon as it was off the pad, it accelerated very slowly. I have a couple of screenshots showing its speed at various altitudes. Here we go:

At 3km, it wasn't even at 200 m/s.

At almost 10km, it hadn't even broken the sound barrier yet.

Eventually, as I was doing my nominal pitchover to the horizon at roughly 30km, it passed its apoapsis and began to fall back. This is not normal -- back in 1.4.3 I could get this thing into orbit without much trouble. Here, I was forced to abort. However, a good thing that 1.4.4 seems to introduce for this mod is an easier landing. I was able to splash down safely at roughly 50 m/s, with the only fatalities being the fuel cells.

But anyway--- @Pak do you think this is 1.4.4 or a conflict between another mod and Cormorant? I can give you my full mod list if you want.

6 hours ago, Pak said:

Hi @RealKerbal3x

Were you using a rescale patch at some point? If so it could be that you made the craft with the scaled fuel values and if you're playing in stock now the values don't update. You can use the fuel switch to fix the values or grab fresh parts.

Just want to point out that according to KE his TWR was high enough for a normal flight which makes the whole thing even weirder... From my experience (I've had problems like that before) the best thing is to just add mods one by one to figure out which one is causing this. It's usually some minor plugin that shouldn't do much in the first place but somehow causes issues like this... 

Edited by notJebKerman

7 hours ago, Pak said:

Hi @RealKerbal3x

No rescale patch was used. I’m in the stock system. This craft was pretty much the Mk3 Orbiter .craft file with a space station module in the cargo bay.

1 hour ago, notJebKerman said:

Just want to point out that according to KE his TWR was high enough for a normal flight which makes the whole thing even weirder... From my experience (I've had problems like that before) the best thing is to just add mods one by one to figure out which one is causing this. It's usually some minor plugin that shouldn't do much in the first place but somehow causes issues like this... 

Yes. As shown by the TWR it’s definitely not the mass of the vehicle or payload. I’m willing to bet it’s some small aerodynamic change in 1.4.4 that doesn’t play nice with Cormorant in my game, or a small plugin causing problems like you said. I’ll remove some mods and see if it changes things.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On 6/11/2018 at 1:59 AM, Bert Thendor said:

Greetings, 

Okay, I'll share what I use with MechJeb, my settings are below, and the behavior is in this video...
I use a 2.5x sized RSS, and I'm using FAR--but these numbers should still work.  
MOST IMPORTANTLY, go into the "Attitude Adjustment" program and switch it to "Hybrid."
The shuttle seems to behave best with this line of settings.

n3u1q7T.png

Edited by slaintemaith

I've been using this mod for a while and have flown quite a few missions, but after switching to 2.5x system and nerfing control systems (RCS to 25% and RW to 1%) reentries are nearly impossible. As soon as I point away from the prograde vector the shuttle either starts rotating uncontrollably or is torn apart by aerodynamic forces. I've moved the center of mass by moving fuel and increasing authority of control surfaces but nothing helps... Is there a way to avoid this?

I avoid it by not nerfing the RCS and RW.  
I even have a second control point with several large reaction wheels in the back offset by 15 degrees to keep OMS burns more precise.
*shrugs*

Kerbal controls are frustrating enough as is.

Are you using any sort of autopilot to maintain attitude?  Even the real shuttle did this.

Edited by slaintemaith

On 7/5/2018 at 8:09 AM, slaintemaith said:

Okay, I'll share what I use with MechJeb, my settings are below, and the behavior is in this video...
I use a 2.5x sized RSS, and I'm using FAR--but these numbers should still work.  
MOST IMPORTANTLY, go into the "Attitude Adjustment" program and switch it to "Hybrid."
The shuttle seems to behave best with this line of settings.

Thank you!, I'll test it, I appreciate your help (and sorry to answer until now, busy at work).

Edited by Bert Thendor
Wrong text ubication, thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.