[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

44 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

Hrm.  I must not have the right files then. =(

**Edit:
Nope, I have the right files, it's simply not loading.  Have no idea why.  It doesn't appear in the Communications section of the parts list.  

Folder is: GameData\MrMeeb\SPT\Parts\Utility\KUBand

Inside are 4 files:

KUBand.cfg
KUband.mu
KUBand_Diffuse.dds
Thumbs.db

In 1.5.x I delete all other folders in GameData\MrMeeb because the parts are included in Cormorant now. I left only the KUBand-Antenna. And it is loading

Yes.  I figured it out.  It was:
1) My fault.
2) Stupid.  

Thanks for your help, though.  =)

Did you know that you shouldn't change the dir tree when you add part mods?
Or if you do, you need to reflect that in the part.cfg?

Yeah.
Derp.

Edited by slaintemaith

Also make sure you double-check all your RCS and control surface configurations.  I'm 99% sure that the body flap is "off" by default, as is nose-pitch RCS, and there's something wonky with the AFT RCS as well.
In addition: I put a control pod in the aft and angle it at the same as the OMS engines.  I'll then use an action group to activate the OMS engines, gimbals, and change control to the aft pod.  This tends to even out orbital maneuvers.  You can also add reaction wheels to the back and front if you wish.
I also seem to recall something wonky with the landing gear in the downloaded .craft.
Fact is I've gotten used to rebuilding the CA shuttle from the component parts with nothing but real shuttle images.  (Useful for getting the placement and dihedral of the wings and placement of the landing gear)

All in all, it's a GREAT shuttle.  Made better with the Ultimate Shuttle IVA (if you're using 1.4.x +) or Kermantech's IVA if you're at 1.3.x.

8 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

In addition: I put a control pod in the aft and angle it at the same as the OMS engines.  I'll then use an action group to activate the OMS engines, gimbals, and change control to the aft pod.  This tends to even out orbital maneuvers.  You can also add reaction wheels to the back and front if you wish.

Why? The OMS are perfectly aligned for this Shuttle so that it fly straight.

14 hours ago, Wrench Head said:

Thanks @Chesseccake

Note when using the CA - Mk3 Orbiter Flight Testing craft file, I removed the cargo and lost fuel connection. Had to add line from main tank to Shuttle.

Thats why the crossfeed is off by default. Activate it in VAB and you don`t need a fuelline.

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Why? The OMS are perfectly aligned for this Shuttle so that it fly straight.

In real life, that is absolutely true.  In KSP, they really aren't.  At least not as far as MechJeb  or sane control is concerned.  With the angled pod, a d/v change will keep your nose pointed mostly in the same spot as you finish your maneuver.  Without it, you wind up 'chasing the needle.'

I've tried it with and without a rear, angled pod, and I assure you 'with' is better.

Edited by slaintemaith

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

In real life, that is absolutely true.  In KSP, they really aren't.  At least not as far as MechJeb  or sane control is concerned.  With the angled pod, a d/v change will keep your nose pointed mostly in the same spot as you finish your maneuver.  Without it, you wind up 'chasing the needle.'

I've tried it with and without a rear, angled pod, and I assure you 'with' is better.

That`s not true. I have made hundreds of flights (last one is 10 minuts ago) in KSP with Cormorant-Shuttles and other Shuttles (with and without MJ). And I didn`t need some extra control pods or something. If the thrust of the OMS is correctly aligned to the center of mass it works 100% without other control pods or something.

I also used the craft-files of cormorant. And I didn`t need any controlpods or extra reaction wheels too.
So I think you do anything wrong with your shuttles.

And you tweak your OMS before each flight to account for the differing center of mass due to payload?
I don't. 

I'd love to see some in-game footage to demonstrate how stable your shuttle maneuvers are.  Maybe I'm missing something.  It's happened before.

Edited by slaintemaith

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

And you tweak your OMS before each flight to account for the differing center of mass due to payload?
I don't. 

I'd love to see some in-game footage to demonstrate how stable your shuttle maneuvers are.  Maybe I'm missing something.  It's happened before.

No, I tweaked nothing. With cormorant I attached the OMS one time normally to the OMS-Pods and saved this craftfile. That`s it. The OMS must not 100% perfect. That`s not possible with various payload. But with the buils-in SAS of the Cockpit and, in extreme Situation, RCS it will be fly perfect and stable. This works also with the originally craftfiles of CA.

But a little question: which OMS do you use? the angled or the straight ones? I use the angled like the original SpaceShuttle.

18 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

In addition: I put a control pod in the aft and angle it at the same as the OMS engines.

That's such a good Idea. A little annoying having to constantly pitch in circles when a MJ maneuver gets to sub 1 m/s. And having the thrust vector aligned with the CoM means it's not aligned with the nose vector, the vector MJ actually uses for pointing.

5 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

I'd love to know how you managed this, because I sure cannot as the above videos prove.

Make a Maneuvernode with MJ and fly ist per hand. I know that MJ had problems with angled engines in the past and don`t know if they fixed it. But: it is no problem of any shuttle like cormorant or the old CSS-Shuttle/DECQs-Shuttle.

Oh.  Nope.  I don't do orbital ops in KSP by hand if I can possibly avoid it.  I barely like flying in the atmo manually the controls are so bloody awful.
And MJ doesn't have problems with angled engines: if you angle the control point to match it.
...which was sort of my entire point.
If I wanted to control the ship manually, I'd not bother with it at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.