[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

2 hours ago, hendrack said:

I iam missing the part "minifueltank" when opening the orbiter. Is this a stock part? I've validated the install with steam but still this part is missing.

minifueltank is the stock Oscar B fuel tank (the little silver one). I found one hiding in the airlock and removed it. But yeah it's a stock part so another mod might be removing it or you might want to reinstall your base game

@DiscoSlelge Thanks, those are great

Edited by Pak

Is the control Shuttle-C nose going to include RCS? I don't know if the original had planned to, and I don't know what the purpose of the Shuttle-C would've been much IRL. I would figure it would be a good counterpart to the Progress, but to dock to a station it'd need forward RCS.

35 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Is the control Shuttle-C nose going to include RCS? I don't know if the original had planned to, and I don't know what the purpose of the Shuttle-C would've been much IRL. I would figure it would be a good counterpart to the Progress, but to dock to a station it'd need forward RCS.

The fundamental idea behind Shuttle-C was to offer the ability to launch longer (82 foot bay vs 60 foot bay) and heavier (75 ton vs 32.5 ton), and more volatile (Centaur G Prime) payloads into orbit without any changes to the shuttle's processing flows or infrastructure. Cheep (less than a billion USD in early 1990s money) and easy heavy lift for the 1990s. Without a major client that was willing to help fund development, the program died.

A fun side note is that with three SSMEs, Shuttle-C could have lifted 25 tons on a dog-leg launch out of the cape to Polar orbit. It could have also lifted 50 tons to the same 98 degree, 110nmi orbit from Vandenberg, demonstrating the payload hit you take for dog-leg launches.

Edited by TimothyC

Another thing I'd like to see in the "extra stuff" roadmap section is parts to attach the shuttle to the back of another MK3 fuselage to imitate the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. The current ET attachment part is hard to use for this purpose. Additionally, perhaps an engine fairing? (Though the Shuttle-C nose does work pretty well for ALT tests)

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

5 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Another thing I'd like to see in the "extra stuff" roadmap section is parts to attach the shuttle to the back of another MK3 fuselage to imitate the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. The current ET attachment part is hard to use for this purpose. Additionally, perhaps an engine fairing? (Though the Shuttle-C nose does work pretty well for ALT tests)

Well IRL the SCA was bigger than the Shuttle, so you might be better off using something like SXT's Osaul hull, which should work fine with the ET attachment parts.

I definitely second a tail shroud though.

(But why don't we wait for him to finish Block 2?)

The shuttle transport bits have come up a few times. While they're neat and all, they're really niche and fall deeply into a "part bloat" category for me. 

I can't see most people using them at all, and those that do would probably use them a couple times and never touch them again. Just not worth the time investment or memory usage of the pack. 

Just noticed that the Shuttle-C craft only has 2 STMEs on it, was this intended?

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to get a flat Shuttle-C style butt (sorta like the Buran butt?)

Edited by Avalon304

On 4/26/2017 at 6:23 PM, Avalon304 said:

Just noticed that the Shuttle-C craft only has 2 STMEs on it, was this intended?

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to get a flat Shuttle-C style butt (sorta like the Buran butt?)

Basic Shuttle-C designs would have supported either two or three SSMEs, or eventually two STMEs.

Edited by TimothyC
Typo

17 hours ago, TimothyC said:

Basic Shuttle-C designs would have supported either one or two SSMEs, or eventually two STMEs.

*Two or 3 SSMEs

The US Space and Rocket Center has a Shuttle C engine block hidden behind a building, and it has mounting points for up to 3 engines.

6 hours ago, minepagan said:

*Two or 3 SSMEs

The US Space and Rocket Center has a Shuttle C engine block hidden behind a building, and it has mounting points for up to 3 engines.

Correct. I'll fix that typo. What is on display is the Shuttle Main Propulsion Test Article (MPTA-98), which was used as the engineering mockup of the Shuttle-C from 1988 to 1990.

14 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

such as what? you want to tell us this cooler stuff?

Well... theres the Buran pack... or the Block II shuttle... or the Block II heavy lift stuff... like lots of things cooler than a 747. (Im really interested to see Pak's take on an Energia). I mean... its all in the roadmap. :P

Yeah i

4 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

such as what? you want to tell us this cooler stuff?

4 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Well... theres the Buran pack... or the Block II shuttle... or the Block II heavy lift stuff... like lots of things cooler than a 747. (Im really interested to see Pak's take on an Energia). I mean... its all in the roadmap. :P

Yeah I just meant the block 2 stuff. It's gonna be lit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.