[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

20 hours ago, Kablob said:

A space shuttle docked to Skylab.

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Shuttle was built with Skylab in mind as the target to "shuttle" back and forth from. 

Power+Module+4.jpg

Edited by HooHungLow

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

NASA were actually planning to dock a Shuttle to Skylab and boost it into a higher orbit, but the Shuttle programme was delayed and Skylab ended up burning up in Earth’s atmosphere. There’s your history lesson for the day :D

@Pak I have 2 questions about the BlockII addon.

1. Do the front canards on the upgraded orbiter have heat tiles on them? I think the shuttle won’t look proper if those are missing.

2. How big is the payload limit with the LFBs?

Also @The-Doctor You’ve got something weird going on with your cockpit there......

I have no idea what is happening to be honest, but I plan to just ignore it. I also realized that using the shuttle to build a starship isn't a good idea

23 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

Shuttle was built with Skylab in mind as the target to "shuttle" back and forth from. 

*snip*

Si. Mcdonnell Douglas even seriously studied the possibility of rescuing and reusing Skylab in the late 70s using components developed for the spacelab program.

Here's a link to part I of the study

And a link to part II

x3ROCOz.png

Edited by gooddog15

11 hours ago, G'th said:

Well, only sort of regarding Skylab. The Shuttle never would have docked, it would have deployed a robotic craft to dock and raise the orbit. Then if Skylab was to be reused it would have been fitted with a separate adaptor to allow the Shuttle to dock.

And regarding BII:

1. No they do not. If you want them for right now, I recommend doing what I did and creating them out of B9 procedural wings. 

2. I believe it goes up to 25t. 

OK, thanks. In an attempt to keep my modcount low-ish (I'm on a potato-laptop) I should probably just leave them as they are. 

And 25 tons sounds good. I know it's possible to create shuttles in stock that can lift 36 tons but that seems a bit overkill to me, as if I need to put a full orange tank in orbit I'll just use a different rocket. And the real STS couldn't even put that much in orbit.

Thanks for the info!!! :D

9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

OK, thanks. In an attempt to keep my modcount low-ish (I'm on a potato-laptop) I should probably just leave them as they are. 

And 25 tons sounds good. I know it's possible to create shuttles in stock that can lift 36 tons but that seems a bit overkill to me, as if I need to put a full orange tank in orbit I'll just use a different rocket. And the real STS couldn't even put that much in orbit.

Thanks for the info!!! :D

Eh, the B9 wings mod is pretty light, and it gives you a LOT more options than the prefab wings can give you. 

Case in point, compare the stock B2 wings with mine:

Spoiler

cRFrx3O.png

SdeXSB6.png

While they take a considerable amount of work to get them as good as this is now, you get more options and customization capability then with the prefabs.

Which isn't to say the base wings aren't good (because they are and they work out of the box. Mine took some tweaking beyond looks to get the flight characteristics right), but the B9 wings are a more powerful tool. Particularly if you want to build other aircraft. 

25 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

If I'm right, that bit comes with the tank when you attach it to something.

I figured it out. After attaching something to the top node of the external tank, the part appears. Thanks!

@Pak Just a small suggestion: Could you remove the space from the root folder name (and related paths in cfg files)? It screws badly with Module Manager.

Edited by m4ti140

33 minutes ago, Voyager1Fan5213 said:

will this work on 1.4.3? I cant find the 1.4.2 download button on the ksp website

This is a parts mod so I think it should be fine on 1.4.3.

You can download this by clicking on the download picture  but you need Shuttle Lifting Body (Mk3 Shuttle Pack) as a dependency if you want to download the block II parts.

Edited by IceTitan

10 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Is it possible to include Buran in the craft files?

The parts pack includes parts for Buran, but only the orbiter. For what I’ve seen from this thread the best way to make a full Buran-Energia is to use another mod.

Or maybe there’s a way to make an Energia using the parts currently in the mod. I wouldn’t know- I haven’t tried to make a Buran before.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The parts pack includes parts for Buran, but only the orbiter. For what I’ve seen from this thread the best way to make a full Buran-Energia is to use another mod.

Or maybe there’s a way to make an Energia using the parts currently in the mod. I wouldn’t know- I haven’t tried to make a Buran before.

Tantares has Energia parts in development, and Near Future Spacecraft has Energia-style fuel tanks and engine mount. There's probably other mods for Energia as well.

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Beale is building a Energia in Tantares. There is a dev-built.

I meant the orbiter, I have Tantares installed and I'm waiting eagerly for Beale to release the energia parts.

It's just kind of annoying to delete and rebuild half the shuttle just to get a slightly less slanted engine mount.

16 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I meant the orbiter, I have Tantares installed and I'm waiting eagerly for Beale to release the energia parts.

It's just kind of annoying to delete and rebuild half the shuttle just to get a slightly less slanted engine mount.

Just build an orbiter and save it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.