[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

So, I've been playing with the Krakenarm lately (WIP part, to those who are unaware), and I've noticed a few things:

screenshot156.png?width=728&height=455

Firstly, while it has an attach node, there are no attach nodes in the cargo to place it, so I have to kind of guesstimate where it's supposed to go.

Secondly, I found the default speed of 15deg/s to be a bit fast. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust this, but I'd suggest something around 5-10deg/s default.

Thirdly, the name is quite accurate, since I've ran into a few kraken glitches when extending the arm out quite a ways, since apparently the game doesn't like the loose magnet connection.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but be great if there was a way to add "claw" functionality to this, so that it can actually "dock" with whatever it's holding. This may solve the issue mentioned above.

Overall, besides a few issues, the arm is working rather well. Since it's all one part, it doesn't have the floppiness of IR arms.

Can't help you there.  I'm quite happy with the Canadarm.  It mounts in the bay just fine, and although there's some wonkiness with the IR elbow numbers, you can still move it just fine.  Docking and undocking with the right part (one of the attachment ports doesn't work, but another one works fine)
Hell, even the cameras work if you use something like Kermantech's IVA.  (Which if you don't, you should!)

On 11/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, DJ Reonic said:

For those of us who use Mandatory RCS, or another reaction wheel nerfer, the angled control point is essential for orbital operations. I switch to the angled CP before circularizing my orbit. Maybe an angled CP could be added to the lifting body part?

Hi, can you explain what you mean by "angled CP" i mean Screenshot how you place it and where ?

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Hi, can you explain what you mean by "angled CP" i mean Screenshot how you place it and where ?

Angled CP is an angled control point. For the CA shuttle, it is often beneficial to add a probe core part to the shuttle, angled to match the OMS engines. The Main Engines and the OMS engines are angled up relative to the orbiter. During the initial stages of launch, when the shuttle is belly-up, this isn't a problem, however, when you are getting close to MECO and you want to roll the shuttle to a heads-up attitude, then the engines are actually pushing you down, as well as forward. Adding a probe core angled to match the engines, and switching control to the probe core when rolling heads-up, can help keep you thrusting forward instead of forward-and-down. If the "Lifting Body" parts could be turned into probe cores, but have the game think that forward is actually 10-15 degrees "down", then it would eliminate the need to add an extra part.

11 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Angled CP is an angled control point. For the CA shuttle, it is often beneficial to add a probe core part to the shuttle, angled to match the OMS engines. The Main Engines and the OMS engines are angled up relative to the orbiter. During the initial stages of launch, when the shuttle is belly-up, this isn't a problem, however, when you are getting close to MECO and you want to roll the shuttle to a heads-up attitude, then the engines are actually pushing you down, as well as forward. Adding a probe core angled to match the engines, and switching control to the probe core when rolling heads-up, can help keep you thrusting forward instead of forward-and-down. If the "Lifting Body" parts could be turned into probe cores, but have the game think that forward is actually 10-15 degrees "down", then it would eliminate the need to add an extra part.

Yes yes, i get it, i just dont kow where to plqace the probe core - does placement matter ?

9 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

I usually place it on the node between the main engines. There is a big attachment node in the center of the main engine attachment plate.

I find placement of the octo2 on a cubic octagonal strut between the OMS engines works great (this places the core directly inline with the engine thrust axis, not merely parallel to it). I then have a control group set to "Control from here" for the probe core, allowing me to bury the core into the aft body section.

Hello! I don’t know if you were asked about the unrealistic nature of the shuttle and the rocket plane, namely the strange structure of the wings. And whether there will be changes in this direction, or to be more precise, the maximum similarity with real protatypes!

Edited by Val
Bad Formatting

On 11/25/2018 at 12:58 AM, Gudlifer said:

Hello! I don’t know if you were asked about the unrealistic nature of the shuttle and the rocket plane, namely the strange structure of the wings. And whether there will be changes in this direction, or to be more precise, the maximum similarity with real protatypes!

What do you mean? @Pak designed these parts to be as similar to the real Space Shuttle as possible, while keeping a kerbal style. While this is not an absolutely perfect replica, that is due to the difference of the Kerbal universe.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:58 AM, Gudlifer said:

If you don't like the wings, make your own.

I do agree with having a control point built inside of the aft section of the shuttle. It's one less part to add to the shuttle when we don't need to add another probe core.

It may also be beneficial if you add actual radiator capability to the SPT cargo bays (right now, the radiator panels are just kind of cosmetic).

In the future, it'd be nice to see some expansion to some other shuttles/space planes, such as MAKS (perhaps starting with the MAKS-OS), Dreamchaser, Kliper, etc.
I really just like the whole hybrid appearance between stockalike and realistic that this mod has - it kind of has me wanting to see more content. Perhaps cargo handling systems, the Personal Rescue Enclosure (pretty much a ball that astronauts can curl up inside when there weren't enough suits to transfer the crew from a damaged shuttle to a rescue shuttle, and then either carried over by a suited astronaut or using the RMS), an SCA mount/engine shroud, some more cargo mounting equipment (such as for recovering payloads), etc.

Personally, I'd like to see the SCA equipment once you've finished with the Block II shuttle, IUS, and whatever other projects you're currently working on. I've been trying to figure out a way how to complete two missions without recovering the shuttle - using the same shuttle, loading it on the SCA and flying it back to the KSC and loading a new payload, mating it to the STS stack (if possible, using the same SRB's from the first launch, towed back to shore), attaching the whole thing together with KAS on the mobile launch platform, wheeling it out to the launch pad and launching once more.

Just a few suggestions - things that you can add to a "do when I'm finished with everything else" list. I have to say, your stuff looks darn good. 

Edited by Raptor22
Added a few things.

2 hours ago, mrvice said:

shuttle lifting body issue

if i try to place landing gear under the wings in symetry mode the landing gear und the other wing would be on top with wheels in the air ( mirrored the wrong way )

Are the black tiles on one wing the wrong way up? In that case you can just click on that wing and click ‘Flip tiles’.

9 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Are the black tiles on one wing the wrong way up? In that case you can just click on that wing and click ‘Flip tiles’.

No not the tiles

if i place a landing gear under the left wing     on the right wing the landing gear will be on top of the wing instead of under it ( all in symetry mode )

i don´t know why maybe another mod is interfeering with it iam not sure because i think it worked before

48 minutes ago, mrvice said:

No not the tiles

if i place a landing gear under the left wing     on the right wing the landing gear will be on top of the wing instead of under it ( all in symetry mode )

i don´t know why maybe another mod is interfeering with it iam not sure because i think it worked before

double check that you're placing the wings in mirror mode, not radial mode. radial mode sometimes likes to turn on when it doesn't need to, and as a result, messes with the placement. I've noticed it happens a lot with wings especially.

9 minutes ago, Initial-Dee said:

double check that you're placing the wings in mirror mode, not radial mode. radial mode sometimes likes to turn on when it doesn't need to, and as a result, messes with the placement. I've noticed it happens a lot with wings especially.

Thx Solved

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.