[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

Pak, I love these parts and it gave me a reason to build an STS once again and these parts fit the bill perfectly. Just one question for the OMS pods, though. I see a "gap" so to speak when I go to mount an engine onto these pods. Is it a node miscalculation or is it me? I "think" this has been addressed, but these parts should have abalator on them to fit the bill as it's look intends them to be. Other than that, obviously excellent job on these and thank you for your hard work to get the shuttle of our dreams into space and back again in one piece.

The shuttle skin is not ablative, that is a horrible option, because then every time you would need to replace the ablative material across the whole thing. It is highly heat resistant material that deflects 95% of heat and then absorbs the last 5% in the interior to protect the aluminum body. I saw a thing that showed all the different materials like what the white was, what the blacks tiles were, etc, but I can't find it.

The shuttle skin is not ablative, that is a horrible option, because then every time you would need to replace the ablative material across the whole thing. It is highly heat resistant material that deflects 95% of heat and then absorbs the last 5% in the interior to protect the aluminum body. I saw a thing that showed all the different materials like what the white was, what the blacks tiles were, etc, but I can't find it.

That's true. I forgot that the heat resistant skin on the shuttle are those tiles. I seen a video of someone picking up a piece of that material from a furnace with their bare hand. So, I guess that's just my ignorance of the technology behind the mod itself. So, squash that idea and be happy it looks the way it looks.

Quick! I need one of you guys to grab this and SSTU and make an STS style shuttle that doesn't fly like a brick!(Using only these two mods and the stock MK3 parts!)

I'm bad at stuff and I need it!

Edit: I tried ^that^ again and I cannot for the life of me make something that doesn't fly like a brick... it always turns around engine first and loses control... in fact I've never seen any shuttle that could perform like the real one is supposed to, not even CSS in my experience. Someone prove me wrong!

Edited by VenomousRequiem

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a status on if or when this is going to be updated? It seems that the OMS pod becomes unclickable after you put it on the hull of your body part. And I'm not sure if this has been addressed or is it just me, there is a noticeable gap on the OMS node attach. [URL="http://i.imgur.com/5pfjzFT.jpg?1"]http://i.imgur.com/5pfjzFT.jpg?1[/URL]

*Shamelessly promotes my own work*

Seriously, I love your mod so much

[video=youtube;hy48tTI6MQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy48tTI6MQc[/video]

More information: [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork?p=2300637#post2300637"]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139812-Cooperation-The-Beauty-of-Teamwork?p=2300637#post2300637[/URL] Edited by MrMeeb

[quote name='lynwoodm']Is there a status on if or when this is going to be updated? It seems that the OMS pod becomes unclickable after you put it on the hull of your body part. And I'm not sure if this has been addressed or is it just me, there is a noticeable gap on the OMS node attach. [URL="http://i.imgur.com/5pfjzFT.jpg?1"]http://i.imgur.com/5pfjzFT.jpg?1[/URL][/QUOTE]

I can confirm the same issue.

[quote name='MrMeeb']Really great mod :) I love the shuttle I've made with it...it flies great! I was just wondering if anyone else was getting a problem where the fuselage flap would behave inverted? I think I've got it the right way up, so the curvature works, but it moves the opposite direction to my input and the other control surfaces.

[SIZE=1][I]Have some pics :3 [/I][/SIZE]

[URL]http://imgur.com/a/2YWHh[/URL][/QUOTE]
What engine did you use for OMS?

[quote name='MrMeeb']Really great mod :) I love the shuttle I've made with it...it flies great! I was just wondering if anyone else was getting a problem where the fuselage flap would behave inverted? I think I've got it the right way up, so the curvature works, but it moves the opposite direction to my input and the other control surfaces.

[SIZE=1][I]Have some pics :3 [/I][/SIZE]

[url]http://imgur.com/a/2YWHh[/url][/QUOTE]

Hmmm. In every case that I've built a space shuttle and used this mod, I've never had any problem with the flap operation. I normally don't pay any attention to it until I start my de-orbit burn

There seems to be an invisible wall at the point where the lifting body fuselage connects to the cargo bays. It prevents me from building inside it or on the back wall. Also, the OMS pods become permanently connected once you place them. Saw a couple people mention that, same problem here. Hope it gets updated soon, I love this mod.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I'm in space trying to recover a satellite but I can't put it inside the cargo bay. It hits an invisible wall. Same on EVA walk. I can't enter from the cockpit to the cargo bay. It's impossible to use the cargo bay for anything useful.

Please fix it ASAP. My shuttle is orbiting with the satellite hooked by the Canadarm. 

My guess is on this issue is that the colliders for the parts seem to overlap the cargo bay and leave you not being able to utilize the space while in the vab. I haven't heard nor seen anything from Pak, which leaves me to believe this mod is either abandoned or he's just to busy to fix it. It'll be nice to know what intentions he plans on doing. Either way, this is a great mod, I'd hate to see it just end. 

35 minutes ago, tg626 said:

I just discovered this pack and I'm booting KSP as I write this, I'm curious what Firespitter is doing for this?  I saw the changelog, but I don't understand what it means.

It's for the flap you place on back of the sts. It's the only thing that has an animation to it. But, be warned, this hasn't been updated for 1.0.5. You wont' be able to put anything in your cargo hold after you placed the parts under the craft. Also, the oms pods are very much buggy as once you set it, you cannot pick it back up again. As far as all that goes, it -appears- fine, but we know anything with an old collider in it, had to be redone. And since I don't know what happened to the OP, there is no telling when these issues will be fixed. 

37 minutes ago, tg626 said:

That's too bad these parts were exactly what mk3 needs to make a good shuttle... :(

Very true, indeed! When it was working. The only thing I wished someone would do was make a stock big delta wing with the sts coating on the bottom to match. I know that the b9 procedural wings have one, but I don't like far in order to use them. Hopefully,we'll see something soon.

Well, today I updated the firespitter plugin by copying only the folders that are in this mod from the big ol firespitter mod and set up a sweet shuttle.

I ended up disabling pitch, roll, and yaw from the body flap as it seems to work backwards, but no biggie.

Then I popped a cargo into the bay and launched.  Once in orbit I discovered that if you decouple a payload in the bay the whole thing self destructs.  I'm guessing that's the collider, once separated the game thinks you payload is inside a solid part of the ship and boom boom bye bye.

:(

Now I REALLY want this fixed... Hell if he released the source files I could do it...

Edited by tg626

I've got a pretty good shuttle going with this mod. I do have the collider issue with the lifting body, but I found if you zoom in really close, you can place stuff in the cargo bay beneath it. Annoying, but workable, especially considering the mod isn't officially updated for 1.0.5. Regarding undocking or decoupling payload and the kraken tendencies that arise, I've created a deployment arm with IR that lifts cargo above the collider boundary. From there, I can detach the cargo with no problems.

I do believe Pak said he was going to wait til 1.1 to update it. I saw him recently in either a DasValdez or EJ_SA stream, so hopefully he hasn't abandoned it.

Edited by jonrd463

I just got a message (I msg'd him) in which he said he only became aware of the collider issue reciently, he's developed a fix, and he's now testing/squashing aerodynamic bugs.  He also said we should see an update soontm.

WOOT!

This is SO "Needs2BStock"

Hey guys I'm still around.

Like tg626 mentioned I've just been busy lately.

Sorry I didn't notice this issue sooner. I wasn't really paying attention to 1.0.5, but I will be putting out a fix as soon as I can. 

PS: All the Pictures and videos have been great! I love seeing that stuff and I'll definitely include some of that with the actual mod release

Edited by Pak
PS

3 hours ago, Pak said:

Hey guys I'm still around.

Like tg626 mentioned I've just been busy lately.

Sorry I didn't notice this issue sooner. I wasn't really paying attention to 1.0.5, but I will be putting out a fix as soon as I can. 

PS: All the Pictures and videos have been great! I love seeing that stuff and I'll definitely include some of that with the actual mod release

Oh, thank the maker! Glad to see you're still alive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.