[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

• 2 weeks later...

If Pak doesn't get around to it, I could probably whip up some Big-S wings with tiles on their undersides, if he'd be okay with that! Shouldn't be too hard to copy the tile texture from the body and photoshop it onto the Big-S wing, then use the magic of cfg editing to make the left and right wings with tiles their own parts. Of course, that wouldn't look as nice as remodeled ones but it'd be a stopgap.

40 minutes ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

If Pak doesn't get around to it, I could probably whip up some Big-S wings with tiles on their undersides, if he'd be okay with that! Shouldn't be too hard to copy the tile texture from the body and photoshop it onto the Big-S wing, then use the magic of cfg editing to make the left and right wings with tiles their own parts. Of course, that wouldn't look as nice as remodeled ones but it'd be a stopgap.

The only thing is that they'd have to be attached separately. If one could add nodes to those wings, and to the underside piece from this, that would make shuttles much more standard to build. In that way, the wings could be attached at the optimal attachment for aerodynamics. This would be a good idea for @Pak to consider when he gets back to us.

Personally I'm waiting for that beautiful-looking shuttle bay.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

The only thing is that they'd have to be attached separately. If one could add nodes to those wings, and to the underside piece from this, that would make shuttles much more standard to build. In that way, the wings could be attached at the optimal attachment for aerodynamics. This would be a good idea for @Pak to consider when he gets back to us.

Personally I'm waiting for that beautiful-looking shuttle bay.

I would suggest against that, it removes the modularity and the lego style approach of the mod and the game. 

Maybe making those two wings into one part would work though. Make it like the oms pods. Though it might remove the modularity too. Would love some tiled wings though.

1 hour ago, lrd.Helmet said:

I would suggest against that, it removes the modularity and the lego style approach of the mod and the game. 

Maybe making those two wings into one part would work though. Make it like the oms pods. Though it might remove the modularity too. Would love some tiled wings though.

I personally really like the lego approach, like Tantares, or, especially, the KSO. I'm sure the wings could be surface-mounted too; but for me, I like having the parts exactly where they need to be, and it negates the need to constantly tweak the placement of wings for stabilization.

On 1 April 2016 at 7:03 PM, _Krieger_ said:

Hi, do you plan to add shuttle wings with black bottoms to go with the lifting body parts?

4 hours ago, MelancholyFlapper said:

The black wings has been discussed :) 

Since the top and bottom of all the Big-S parts are mirrored I'll have to remodel the wings to make them shielded. There is a way to force different mirror behaviors in the cfg but I'll have to test to make sure it doesn't mess up lift/drag directions. If that doesn't work I think a left and right wing will be needed to keep lift/drag in the right places on each wing. It's a bit low priority right now as I'm getting all the new parts working, but it's in the plans.

1 hour ago, Pak said:

Since the top and bottom of all the Big-S parts are mirrored I'll have to remodel the wings to make them shielded. There is a way to force different mirror behaviors in the cfg but I'll have to test to make sure it doesn't mess up lift/drag directions. If that doesn't work I think a left and right wing will be needed to keep lift/drag in the right places on each wing. It's a bit low priority right now as I'm getting all the new parts working, but it's in the plans.

Speaking of in the plans, what is the progress of the stuff you showed earlier so far?

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

I've gotten most things into U5 and working at a basic level in 1.1. I'm currently texturing and testing in the pre-release. At the very least I'm aiming for all the new basic parts (things already in the mod) to be ready for the actual 1.1 release so I can do a day or so of testing/bug fixes and then release. Ideally though I'm trying to get the airlock, truss, OMS engine, and MMU ready for release at the same time or soon after.

After that I'll move on to the "nice to haves" like shielded wings and other suggestions

Just now, Pak said:

I've gotten most things into U5 and working at a basic level in 1.1. I'm currently texturing and testing in the pre-release. At the very least I'm aiming for all the new basic parts (things already in the mod) to be ready for the actual 1.1 release so I can do a day or so of testing/bug fixes and then release. Ideally though I'm trying to get the airlock, truss, OMS engine, and MMU ready for release at the same time or soon after.

After that I'll move on to the "nice to haves" like shielded wings and other suggestions

Any photographs?

20 hours ago, Pak said:

Any desire for additional testers. I'd gladly donate some of my time to help you test out the new parts if you'd like.

Should these parts that worked in 1.0.5 work in 1.1, assuming firespitter is updated?  I updated firespitter to it's 1.1 and when I load my shuttles, they kerbplode :( 

Just trying to figure out if it's a Shuttle Part thing or a 1.1 thing.

Edited by tg626

13 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Should these parts that worked in 1.0.5 work in 1.1, assuming firespitter is updated?  I updated firespitter to it's 1.1 and when I load my shuttles, they kerbplode :( 

Just trying to figure out if it's a Shuttle Part thing or a 1.1 thing.

I would imagine anything that had to do with aerodynamics will have to be re-done. But, I'm pretty sure Pak has it under control. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.