[1.12.5] Cormorant Aeronology - Mk3 Space Shuttle

Pak

49 minutes ago, StevieC said:

here's an imgur album to show what I mean about a retractable docking port.

While the Buran was to have an extendable docking port, these parts are modelled off that of the Space Shuttle, as you probably know. Of course, the Shuttle replaced the extendable docking port with hardware on the thing it was docking with, aka the PMAs on the ISS. 

However, there were other configurations it used, where the docking hardware was placed around halfway down the cargo bay, as seen in the photos of the Shuttle docked to Mir. This assisted in clearance from the cabin

I still think the extra 4 parts for an adapter are pretty negligible in the scheme of things (or 2 if you use HabTek's or cxAerospace's PMAs). Pak said these parts are loosely modeled after the hardware the actual STS used, so adding an extendable docking port seems a bit out of his intended scope. Nertea's extendable docking port looks like it works just fine, so why not just use that?

8 hours ago, StevieC said:

If I may recommend a small tweak to the ShuttleBottomLong.cfg file, change the "stackSymmetry" number from 1 to 2, that way you can fit the space-shuttle main engines in 3x radial symmetry to the attachment nodes that are arranged in a triangle at the rear and have them show in the staging-icons as a unified group of three.

Wouldn't that be a problem, since you can't mirror 3 way, only 2 way. Unless you don't offset your shuttle engines (why wouldn't you?). I prefer it the way it is, Since I only use shuttle engines for 1/6th of a mission or so.

I did.

I haven't had time to test yet but I'm not sure that it's possible to have 2 independent control surfaces on one part in stock. Does anyone know of any instance of something like this?

StevieC, I'll consider it but the 3way used to cause a lot of issues with the angled vectors. I saw that it was patched around 1.1 someplace so it'll be on my list of things to look at.

53 minutes ago, Pak said:

Does anyone know of any instance of something like this?

Take a look at the tail included in this mod. Dunno if it uses two separate c/s but it does have STS-style tail airbrakes and drogue chute too.

Hey nice find. I was able to dig the download up from who knows where.

It's using an old Firespitter module but I'm not sure if it's still completely supported. The animation part works but it doesn't seem to add drag anymore

Greetings to all.

Pak, I am sure someone has asked, but if not.....  Would it be possible to get;

a) a version of the flat + engine mount that has the main engine mount at whatever angle is needed for the main pitch.  15 deg sticks in my mind, but who knows.

and / or

b) a version of the main ssme that has either the flat or the pitch built into it?

KM_Shuttle_engines used to have eng like this and I am 'experimenting' trying to get those to work again.

If we had a "shuttlebottomlong" that had the pitch in it, then we could use darn near any engine.

just a wish.

This mod has spoiled me.  really great idea and execution.

many thanks again, 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, drtedastro said:

Greetings to all.

Pak, I am sure someone has asked, but if not.....  Would it be possible to get;

a) a version of the flat + engine mount that has the main engine mount at whatever angle is needed for the main pitch.  15 deg sticks in my mind, but who knows.

and / or

b) a version of the main ssme that has either the flat or the pitch built into it?

KM_Shuttle_engines used to have eng like this and I am 'experimenting' trying to get those to work again.

If we had a "shuttlebottomlong" that had the pitch in it, then we could use darn near any engine.

just a wish.

This mod has spoiled me.  really great idea and execution.

many thanks again, 

Cheers.

If I understand what you're asking correctly, you're asking for a part that allows the vectors to have a starting trim, instead if point straight down, right? You can rotate the Vectors using the gizmos to the desired angle, as they've been designed to allow rotation to an extent without creating a gap between the part and the engine, essentially resembling an 'initial trim'. Sorry that it's not very well explained...I'm at school so I can't really get any pictures :) 

2 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

Guys does anyone have a proper shuttle? I mean with stock and maybe the DIRECT or something for the ET and boosters

Yes. My recommendation is to not only have the ET fuel drain from back to front (via an external fuel line isolated with clipped panels, but do use KS-25 powered LRBs that are similarly fed. I also like to isolate the aft-most part of my ET and have it feed the LRBs before the LRBs use their own fuel. The other trick I find is that you want to fly very shallow trajectories so that your limited monoprop supplies can be used judiciously.

11 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

If I understand what you're asking correctly, you're asking for a part that allows the vectors to have a starting trim, instead if point straight down, right? You can rotate the Vectors using the gizmos to the desired angle, as they've been designed to allow rotation to an extent without creating a gap between the part and the engine, essentially resembling an 'initial trim'. Sorry that it's not very well explained...I'm at school so I can't really get any pictures :) 

Thanks MrMeeb.

That is a great idea, i will try now.

I have not messed around much with those 'gizmos', but will give it a shot.

Cheers.

16 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

Guys does anyone have a proper shuttle? I mean with stock and maybe the DIRECT or something for the ET and boosters

I've been in the process of making one more of my own design, but I might have a look at making a very faithful-to-the-original one. Watch this space :) 

On 5 травня 2016 р. at 2:12 AM, Pak said:

Hey nice find. I was able to dig the download up from who knows where.

It's using an old Firespitter module but I'm not sure if it's still completely supported. The animation part works but it doesn't seem to add drag anymore

Those parts do not work out-of-box due to outdated config files. Simply change the module names to current standard, add lift values and it should work - at least it did in 1.0.4.

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

As already mentioned in the DIRECT thread, I found this presentation, and thought it could potentially be useful if you find yourself at a loss for ideas further down the line :) 

At least one looks a bit like a kludged up energia copy...  

Speaking of, if we are submitting "wishes" I'd like to see an alternative to the OMS pods which only have the RCS  bits like Buran.

Edited by tg626

Hi Pak et al.

Really love the mod. I like drtedastro's suggestion of "a version of the flat + engine mount that has the main engine mount at whatever angle is needed for the main pitch", i.e. similar to the stock MK3 Engine Mount. Other than that, keep up the amazing work!

P.S. I'd really like the flag that you're using! Is it possible for me to acquire it?

Edited by casperwebb
Typo

Thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents with a few requests here:

These are great parts, but the lack of modularity limits their usefulness.  Because the rear engine mount/fuel tank has its own flat bottom that only comes in one length, and there are no shorter flat bottom sections, it means that one can really only make one specifically sized space shuttle, i.e. one that only has one length of cargo bay, the longest stock Squad part.  So here's my request.  How about separating the rear fuel tank and engine mount from the flat bottom, and then making one flat-bottom part for each length of stock cargo bay?  This way, if I want to create an extended length shuttle, I can just add in sections of cargo bay as needed, and then add their corresponding bottoms to each section.  Another suggestion, how about an adapter part that blends the rounded bottom of the MK3 bay down into your flat-bottom parts, in a 'stockalike' white-gray texture?  I figure this would be great for building airliner-style fuselages, with the aforementioned adapters and flat bottom parts allowing a 'low-wing' configuration.  If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could utilize Firespitter's texture-switching feature to change all of the adapter parts between 'shielded' and 'unshielded', at least visually.  Just gives us gamers more options, that's all.

Okay, those are my requests, fwiw, feel free to completely ignore me, lol.  :)

1 hour ago, Neutrinovore said:

Thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents with a few requests here:

These are great parts, but the lack of modularity limits their usefulness.  Because the rear engine mount/fuel tank has its own flat bottom that only comes in one length, and there are no shorter flat bottom sections, it means that one can really only make one specifically sized space shuttle, i.e. one that only has one length of cargo bay, the longest stock Squad part.  So here's my request.  How about separating the rear fuel tank and engine mount from the flat bottom, and then making one flat-bottom part for each length of stock cargo bay?  This way, if I want to create an extended length shuttle, I can just add in sections of cargo bay as needed, and then add their corresponding bottoms to each section.  Another suggestion, how about an adapter part that blends the rounded bottom of the MK3 bay down into your flat-bottom parts, in a 'stockalike' white-gray texture?  I figure this would be great for building airliner-style fuselages, with the aforementioned adapters and flat bottom parts allowing a 'low-wing' configuration.  If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could utilize Firespitter's texture-switching feature to change all of the adapter parts between 'shielded' and 'unshielded', at least visually.  Just gives us gamers more options, that's all.

Okay, those are my requests, fwiw, feel free to completely ignore me, lol.  :)

In the most recent update, the shorter flat bottom bits were removed. Pak didn't (I don't think) explain why this was, but I'm sure we will see them at some later date :) 

Sorry that I've seemed to start some form of request spam, but I do agree with pretty much all of them...they're all good ideas! Oh, and we can't forget the shielded Big-S parts! :blush: 

Keep up the great work!

@trooperMNG, you may find this of interest :) 

Hey guys, just threw together a quick shuttle using this mod and DIRECT, for anyone that doesn't want to build their own. It's not as capable as I'd like it to be right now, but I'm pinning it down to the unfinished balancing of DIRECT. It works fully, and I've successfully completed a mission in it to verify that. Vague stats are in the description.

Hope you enjoy

https://kerbalx.com/MrMeeb/STS

RXyEChp.png

Edited by MrMeeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.